The Zane Gonzalez Dilemma

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Very disturbed over the talk of his performance during the this Spring and Summer. Every point will count this season (especially early). I see this as the greatest weakness on the team (greater than the offensive line at 40% health). I think that this may not have been adequately addressed with all of the other issues that the new staff had to deal with. Concerned?
Austin McGinnis is available. He was the kicker for Kentucky 2 seasons ago. I'm surprised he hasn't found a job yet? He did get a tryout with the AF whatever league right before they shut it down. He made some big kicks in college anyways, kicked a 51 yarder with plenty of distance to beat Miss. St 3 years ago. I hear you though on the kicker problem, with no competition is he really gonna improve? Every point this season will count, we need every one possible. I suppose after the next 4 preseason games we will find out about his performance & future with the team? I heard Matt Bryant doesn't kick for the Falcons now & is available? Hopefully if Gonzalez stinks it up in preseason SK will find a better kicker? Maybe a veteran?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessing that we'll set a team record and lead the NFL in going for two on extra point attempts. KM seems perfect for that scenario. JMO.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think any team in the league has had this kind of trouble finding a consistent kicker. We haven't had a consistent kicker since Al DelGreco.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I would take Parkey in a heartbeat over Gonzalez. Gonzalez has a 70.6 pct make rate on FGs and 33/37 on XPs. Parkey has a 83.9 FG pct and is 149/156 on XPs. To me this is a no brainer. The only reason Parkey has been vilified is because of one kick that knocked the Bears out of the playoffs last year. I seem to remember a Minnesota kicker who missed a chip shot FG to knock the Vikings out of the playoffs a couple years ago. I believe it's how Seattle ended up in the Super Bowl. It happens.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would take Parkey in a heartbeat over Gonzalez. Gonzalez has a 70.6 pct make rate on FGs and 33/37 on XPs. Parkey has a 83.9 FG pct and is 149/156 on XPs. To me this is a no brainer. The only reason Parkey has been vilified is because of one kick that knocked the Bears out of the playoffs last year. I seem to remember a Minnesota kicker who missed a chip shot FG to knock the Vikings out of the playoffs a couple years ago. I believe it's how Seattle ended up in the Super Bowl. It happens.
He hurt himself making television appearances after that game.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In other news, the Catman is 0-for-2 on conversions tonight, and will probably be looking for work tomorrow. At UPS or FedEx.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm concerned as well.

In the one practice that I went to I saw Zane tee up two balls during a break. The first one went wide right with no chance. The second one went left. Those were the only kicks that I saw so it was a small sample size. Still not encouraging at all.
He hit a 55 yarder tonight so that's a little encouraging.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
AS a FYI

Norwegian booter Kaare Vedvik hit all four of his field-goal attempts from 26, 29, 45 and 55 yards. Justin Tucker's job security isn't at risk, but for teams desperate for a consistent kicker (cough, Chicago, cough), look in Baltimore's direction.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson