The Witcher (Netflix)

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Guess season 3 will be the end of the show for me.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Spartacus is the only show that I can think of that somewhat succefully pulled something like this off… and that was due to the lead getting cancer.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
@Stout Now that he is no longer Supes, I wonder if he'll return to The Witcher? Sorry, Liam. lol
I'd be surprised unless Netflix makes changes to the writing room and maybe the show runner. He hasn't kept his displeasure for the direction of the show and it deviating from lore unknown. That appears to be a lot of the reason he's leaving.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so not motivated to watch this show after HC got screwed by Warner Bros. I mean he likely never quits the show if they had not rehired him to be Superman then pulled the rug out from under him. I will watch just to see him finish off the character then I am likely checking out.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I am so not motivated to watch this show after HC got screwed by Warner Bros. I mean he likely never quits the show if they had not rehired him to be Superman then pulled the rug out from under him. I will watch just to see him finish off the character then I am likely checking out.
I'm checked out over them getting rid of Cavill. It's a dead man walking IMO.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure Cavill is bathing in the new wealth he got for stupidly bailing on this and going back to what he had to know would be a foundering universe as Supes. You know they had to pay him major bank to come back.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure Cavill is bathing in the new wealth he got for stupidly bailing on this and going back to what he had to know would be a foundering universe as Supes. You know they had to pay him major bank to come back.
I read he was paid $250,000 for his cameos and that's it. My guess is he likely would have negotiated for a % of gross which seems to be popular these days. Since that's not happening? No payday.

Stout

Reaction score
I read he was paid $250,000 for his cameos and that's it. My guess is he likely would have negotiated for a % of gross which seems to be popular these days. Since that's not happening? No payday.
For the cameos, sure. That doesn't take into consideration the massive picture (s) deal that would've accompanied those cameos. He's not leaving a lucrative deal for a few hundred thou and no guarantees beyond that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the cameos, sure. That doesn't take into consideration the massive picture (s) deal that would've accompanied those cameos. He's not leaving a lucrative deal for a few hundred thou and no guarantees beyond that.
Here it is. He never had a new contract. Outside of the cameos it was a verbal agreement. Once Gunn took over and cancelled all future plans? No contract even though the studio told him to announce it. He had no reason to thin the rug was getting pulled out from under him. Warner Bros/DC screwed him.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Here it is. He never had a new contract. Outside of the cameos it was a verbal agreement. Once Gunn took over and cancelled all future plans? No contract even though the studio told him to announce it. He had no reason to thin the rug was getting pulled out from under him. Warner Bros/DC screwed him.

Sorry Henry, I have zero sympathy for you. No contract? What a moron.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well that’s a fair point but still doesn’t change the fact the Studio screwed him.
For the most part, this sentence is pure speculation.

Every high profile actor from a- to c-level and beyond has representation -- Hell, Cavill probably has a manager, an agent, and a whole army of other business people looking out for him. The studio screwed him? Well, if they did it's because his representation let them. I didn't mind him as Superman or The Witcher, but let's face it, he wasn't very dynamic in either of those roles. This isn't like replacing Connery at James Bond. Christopher Reeve is still the best Superman. Cavill was fine, but why are people so upset by this? DC has sucked for quite a while, so change was inevitable. The one thing that change has going for it is James Gunn.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the most part, this sentence is pure speculation.

Every high profile actor from a- to c-level and beyond has representation -- Hell, Cavill probably has a manager, an agent, and a whole army of other business people looking out for him. The studio screwed him? Well, if they did it's because his representation let them. I didn't mind him as Superman or The Witcher, but let's face it, he wasn't very dynamic in either of those roles. This isn't like replacing Connery at James Bond. Christopher Reeve is still the best Superman. Cavill was fine, but why are people so upset by this? DC has sucked for quite a while, so change was inevitable. The one thing that change has going for it is James Gunn.
As I stated before, it’s a fair point that to say that maybe it wasn’t smart to agree verbally and maybe his team also let him down. Maybe you missed that.

We are going to have to disagree on his portrayal of Superman and The Witcher. I think he is great in both parts. Many people agree. You are acting like his portrayal in either part led to the DC mess or makes it no big deal he quit the Witcher. You would be in the minority with that view. The problem with DC has been its organization of the properties and the writing. Not HC. Not GG. Not BA.

The studio screwed him and his team didn’t protect him from it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
As I stated before, it’s a fair point that to say that maybe it wasn’t smart to agree verbally and maybe his team also let him down. Maybe you missed that.

We are going to have to disagree on his portrayal of Superman and The Witcher. I think he is great in both parts. Many people agree. You are acting like his portrayal in either part led to the DC mess or makes it no big deal he quit the Witcher. You would be in the minority with that view. The problem with DC has been its organization of the properties and the writing. Not HC. Not GG. Not BA.

The studio screwed him and his team didn’t protect him from it.
What are you talking about? I think his portrayal led to the DC mess?? LOL. That is a gross misrepresentation. So stop accusing me of things you know nothing about.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about? I think his portrayal led to the DC mess?? LOL. That is a gross misrepresentation. So stop accusing me of things you know nothing about.
Huh? That seemed to be what you were saying when you said "I didn't mind him as Superman or The Witcher, but let's face it, he wasn't very dynamic in either of those roles." That wasn't very clear then. You seemed to be indicating that was one of the reasons for the DC mess.

Have no clue what your driveling about in terms of "things you know nothing about" part. LOL.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Huh? That seemed to be what you were saying. It wasn't clear then. Have no clue what your driveling about in terms of "things you know nothing about". LOL.
No I'm merely saying that Cavill's firing is not a big deal. DC was a mess because Zach Snyder and then the studio head destroyed it. Cavill, Gal Gadot, they are just casualties. All I'm saying is that I'm not that broken up about it because DC DID need a reboot. No question.

Would I have been ok if they kept Cavill? Sure, probably. Am I ok that they aren't? Yep.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I'm merely saying that Cavill's firing is not a big deal. DC was a mess because Zach Snyder and then the studio head destroyed it. Cavill, Gal Gadot, they are just casualties. All I'm saying is that I'm not that broken up about it because DC DID need a reboot. No question.

Would I have been ok if they kept Cavill? Sure, probably. Am I ok that they aren't? Yep.
I said it was a misstep. I didn't say it was the end of the world. IMO, it's the equivalent of throwing the baby out with the bathwater and it was unnecessary. That's all I said. The rest we agree on. It was in need of a reboot because the halfbaked attempt at replicating what Marvel did was a disaster.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA