The Suns' search for a New Coach Thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You never know. I don't think it'd be an issue on his side as he wanted to stick around as an assistant but coaches rarely, if ever, get demoted. He was the interim here and had no interest in a full time head coach position and spoke about how he'd like to return as an assistant after the interim label was removed and a coach was found. Very odd situation but he was open throughout the season about not wanting to be full time but also spoke of how much he enjoyed developing guys like Booker, Warren, Jackson, etc.

I was also mentioning Triano as a more likely assistant than Nurse under Young as that has little chance of happening. Triano is a good example of the sort of tacticians out there now. I'd be all for it but we shouldn't get hung up on who is hired as an assistant.
Why are you talking about any possibility of Nurse being an assistant to Young? That will never happen and no one’s brought it up as even a suggestion.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I don't need to call the manager (and I never do). You'll continue doing it and someone will spot it and take action. Since I agree with you far more often than not, I'd just as soon see you put an end to it. But that's your choice.
All good. I just wish they'd hurry up and name a coach so I can get the Tshirts made

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Most of the places you name above are not, or at least haven't been known as, culturally diverse with minorities. Growing up in Phx in the 70's, I'd say the same was true about the area...I encountered 2 black kids in school (identical twin brothers) until I reached high school in the mid-80's. I'm sure there were more around at other schools, just not in mine. I can't say that Kareem would or wouldn't have enjoyed Phoenix, but he did become a devout Muslim and change his name while in Milwaukee, so he may have felt out of place there. I do know Kareem has enjoyed his time, later in life, working with the youth on the Northern Arizona reservations.
I’m pretty sure the winters was a big factor. A coat to fit him must be pricey:)

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nurse just seems like such a no-brainer out of the remaining choices.

If Doc’s our coach, what little passion I still have for this team probably drops to zero. That makes next season beyond an exercise in futility.

Didn’t he lose his locker room at his last gig.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Nick Nurse may be the perfect coach for this team. He is young has a ring he is also good at player development and is great at X and O coaching duties. There is not another coach available that can offer that.
I don't see why if Keving Young is not hired on as HC for another team why he won't be back next year with Nick staff. The Suns would then have a new voice but can also keep some parts of this teams continuity.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If Nick Nurse doesn't want to be considered in the Bucks search, it was either not a fit for either side, or Nurse is getting an offer from someone else.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Nick Nurse doesn't want to be considered in the Bucks search, it was either not a fit for either side, or Nurse is getting an offer from someone else.

I think Nick pulled his name because he didn't want to compete with an assistant from his Toronto staff for the position because he, Nurse, has options and won't have trouble finding a coaching gig elsewhere. For a former assistant of his though to be a finalist is big for them as a lot of guys interview a ton before finally landing their first head coach position. Ultimately I think Nurse was doing a solid for a friend/colleague rather than saying he has something lined up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. I'd be surprised if it's not Kevin Young though, whenever that is.

It does make one wonder, if it is Kevin Young, why the delay.

The Suns could be waiting for an assistant coach still in the playoffs to interview, or hoping a coach like Tyronn Lue becomes available, even if it seems unlikely.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Young will just be a puppet for Ishbia…I’m half joking because of how aggressive Ishbia has been. I’m not sure how I’d rate Ishbia at this point, if he means well or is meddling.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Young will just be a puppet for Ishbia…I’m half joking because of how aggressive Ishbia has been. I’m not sure how I’d rate Ishbia at this point, if he means well or is meddling.
It's not "meddling" until he has put something that he signed off into action. It makes sense to be pretty hands on with the stuff you inherited, but once you put your guys in place you gotta let them do their thing.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Maybe we were waiting for Nurse to choose between us and the 76ers.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Young vs Doc…

Someone brought up the point if it’s Young what’s taking so long. That alone shows you they don’t really want him. He’s the last option

I swear to God if we hire the biggest choke artist of a head coach I’m done

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the Suns lost out on Nick Nurse per Adrian Wojnarowski.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn’t Doc shun Simmons. Would he do the same to Ayton? I don’t see a good fit with Doc.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

”Both the Suns and the 76ers were engaged with Nick Nurse’s agent today”

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So what does this mean?? The Sixers have more a chance to win the championship than the Suns?? A better roster? Embiid over Durant/Book?? Cmon man we should be the number one destination but we aren’t

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

”Both the Suns and the 76ers were engaged with Nick Nurse’s agent today”
Maybe 76ers offer Nurse a more stable franchise. Harris has been owner for over a decade...owns an NHL team and trying to also buy NFL team, meaning he's likely not in the weeds with the day to day of the NBA franchise.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So what does this mean?? The Sixers have more a chance to win the championship than the Suns?? A better roster? Embiid over Durant/Book?? Cmon man we should be the number one destination but we aren’t

We are a team with a 2 year window and only 2 guys you know you know will be here even next season on the entire roster.

I can see why an established coach might balk.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on the 76ers hire of Nick Nurse as head coach.

Adrian Wojnarowski, Senior NBA InsiderMay 29, 2023, 04:54 PM ET:

Nurse's desire to coach MVP Joel Embiid and his history with Sixers President of Basketball Operations Daryl Morey played a significant part in his decision to commit to a deal with Philadelphia, sources said. Nurse separated himself in the interview process, selling a vision for the Sixers centered on Embiid.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose