The Suns' search for a New Coach Thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great. That means Young. Not excited about that at all.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

”The Sixers and Suns were engaged with Nurse and his agent, Andy Miller of Klutch Sports, throughout Sunday and Monday, leaving Nurse with a difficult decision between two contending teams, sources said.”

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
If James Jones is leading the search and negotiations, and Ishbia really wanted Nurse, I wonder if this is another strike against JJ in Ishbia’s eyes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If James Jones is leading the search and negotiations, and Ishbia really wanted Nurse, I wonder if this is another strike against JJ in Ishbia’s eyes.

This may be more of a strike on Mat Ishbia as he apparently pushed the trade for Durant home. I suspect he played a huge role in the Nurse negotiations as well. However, I can see James Jones owning it.

Regardless, I think Jones needs to go.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the remaining known candidates.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am thinking Rivers or Young. It makes mores sense Vogel, but since I don't necessarily want Doc, that means he is the front runner! :)

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think if Ishbia wanted Nurse he could have gotten him. Nurse is nothing special. Actually most of the candidates are MEH. I also don''t think JJ is making the final decision it's Ishbia.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Budenholzer is also available.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think it is normal most owners are very involved in GM searches, not just Ishbia.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It does make one wonder, if it is Kevin Young, why the delay.

The Suns could be waiting for an assistant coach still in the playoffs to interview, or hoping a coach like Tyronn Lue becomes available, even if it seems unlikely.
Contract negotiations. Plus maybe all Suns staff off for Memorial Day?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think it is normal most owners are very involved in GM searches, not just Ishbia.
Involved in GM or HC search, sure....but if the impression the HC candidate gets is the owner is involved in day to day activities, that could be a red flag and turnoff.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Involved in GM or HC search, sure....but if the impression the HC candidate gets is the owner is involved in day to day activities, that could be a red flag and turnoff.
Yeah! It would have to be an impression. Ishbia doesn't have a long track record to go by. Plus I would assume Most owners are really involved a lot at the beginning of their ownership as staff tries to get a feel for what the new owner wants.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Hiring Young will make it easier to transition to Isiah Thomas. <ducks>
Well, out of the candidates left, there is less unknown about Young for the Suns staff. That could both be a plus and a minus.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only throwing it out there, not a great option, but they could make Kevin Young the interim head coach.

It leaves the door open.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Only throwing it out there, not a great option, but they could make Kevin Young the interim head coach.
I don't think Ishbia would do that. Talk about people speculating us waiting a year for Tye Lue.