The Suns' search for a New Coach Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian Windhorst talks about some uncertainly with the Suns ownership.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
He was the ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH and was highly visible on the bench with Monty and can be seen every game coaching the team. Suns fans are fickle, when Monty was coach, it wasn't just him, it was coaching as a whole. When Monty's gone, all of a sudden all the Suns coaching problems were his and his alone. I don't buy that.

This isn't a lottery team, this is a potential contender with 2 top 20 NBA players on it. Book may like him, but most of the players liked Monty too. Being liked doesn't win you championships. If the Suns hire him, of course I'll support him, but at this point, I'd rather someone else get hired with pedigree, like Nick Nurse. We have a window of 1, maybe 2 years. Do we really want to give it to a guy who is getting his feet wet for the first time?
I'm just trying to keep an open mind. Young would be a surprise for sure. I tend to agree about wanting an experienced coach and yet Nurse is a recipe for how a new coach can have great success.

Superbone

Reaction score
OT, but what's the origin of your screen name?
I was a fan of Superman as a kid and I play the trombone. There is also an instrument called the Superbone that has both valves and a slide and was made famous by trumpeter Maynard Ferguson. He even had a tune called Superbone Meets the Bad Man.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is Nick Nurse a good coach?

His team has sucked for 3 years even though they had good players.

He won a championship because Durant got injured.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was a fan of Superman as a kid and I play the trombone. There is also an instrument called the Superbone that has both valves and a slide and was made famous by trumpeter Maynard Ferguson. He even had a tune called Superbone Meets the Bad Man.
Damn, I was hoping for a story line like Shaft, somehow. :)

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I played the Superbone in high school band in the late 80's (graduated in 90)...Parents got it for me my senior year...and kept it until I got married...Sold it to help pay for the wedding. It was a fun instrument.

Superbone

Reaction score
I played the Superbone in high school band in the late 80's (graduated in 90)...Parents got it for me my senior year...and kept it until I got married...Sold it to help pay for the wedding. It was a fun instrument.
Were you primarily a trombone player or trumpet player? Very unusual to have the opportunity to play that instrument. Must have been worth a pretty penny. Was it a Yamaha?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Were you primarily a trombone player or trumpet player? Very unusual to have the opportunity to play that instrument. Must have been worth a pretty penny. Was it a Yamaha?
Started as trumpet, but in middle school switched to baritone. Got to high school and was given a valve trombone to play, instead of baritone. Started picking up slide trombone from friends and finally got a superbone and had a great time with it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Brian Windhorst talks about some uncertainly with the Suns ownership.

I kinda see what he's saying. But this is Ishbia's team now. Not Sarvers. He has no loyalty to coaches, players, front office, guards, cooks, maintenance staff, etc. that were brought in during Sarver's tenure. I actually think he's been fairly measured. He IS taking time to see who to keep and who to let go. If it ain't broke, don't fi it. If you can find a way to improve something, go for it. Actually Monty had a fairly long run with us by today's NBA standards. There's little gossip like stories coming out now about Monty, and who knows if any are true or just gossip.

While I do think you look at ownership as a coach, you also look at players more. Do you go where they have the nicest owners ever but all G League talent? Or do you go where a team has a shot at winning a Championship? They both play a part. If it's just comparing Embid to Booker, I like Booker's fire and drive at the end of the day, more than I like Embiid's.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gambo also shot down Shams report the intereviews were taking place back east. He has disputed Shams reporting a few times this year already and ended up being right. Between Woj, Shams and local.....this might be the most conflicting reporting I have seen in awhile.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda see what he's saying. But this is Ishbia's team now. Not Sarvers. He has no loyalty to coaches, players, front office, guards, cooks, maintenance staff, etc. that were brought in during Sarver's tenure. I actually think he's been fairly measured. He IS taking time to see who to keep and who to let go. If it ain't broke, don't fi it. If you can find a way to improve something, go for it. Actually Monty had a fairly long run with us by today's NBA standards. There's little gossip like stories coming out now about Monty, and who knows if any are true or just gossip.

While I do think you look at ownership as a coach, you also look at players more. Do you go where they have the nicest owners ever but all G League talent? Or do you go where a team has a shot at winning a Championship? They both play a part. If it's just comparing Embid to Booker, I like Booker's fire and drive at the end of the day, more than I like Embiid's.

I think the trade for Kevin Durant trade and the firing of Monty Williams were aggressive moves by the new ownership as well.

IMO, it was time to move on from Monty but I wish Mat Ishbia had waited until the summer to make major player personnel moves.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If Ishbia is selling this opportunity correctly he should be able to get whatever freakin coach he wants

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the trade for Kevin Durant trade and the firing of Monty Williams were aggressive moves by the new ownership as well.

IMO, it was time to move on from Monty but I wish Mat Ishbia had waited until the summer to make major player personnel moves.
I still think Monty is a good coach. I think he simply took this team as far as he was capable.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is going to have his chance with Ishbia over the next couple seasons to prove it.
Maybe. I still halfway expect to see a new GM in place this season although Ishiba might be concerned about the appearance of letting two high profile and highly regarded black men go in the same offseason.

I have no idea how I feel about JJ. I can't stand some of the things we've done the past few years but I have no clue whether those were his ideas or whether he was pretty much forced to make them. If he believes that scouting, drafting and developing players are a waste of time and money, the sooner he's gone the better.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. I still halfway expect to see a new GM in place this season although Ishiba might be concerned about the appearance of letting two high profile and highly regarded black men go in the same offseason.

I have no idea how I feel about JJ. I can't stand some of the things we've done the past few years but I have no clue whether those were his ideas or whether he was pretty much forced to make them. If he believes that scouting, drafting and developing players are a waste of time and money, the sooner he's gone the better.
If James was going to be gone he wouldn't have let him be part of these interviews. James is going nowhere right now IMO.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
JJ is no fool. Neither is Matt Ishbia. I imagine Ishbia asked JJ about any moves the Suns did in the past and how it went down to JJ. Then, I imagine he's asked others the same things. Just to get a gauge on his GM. JJ knows or should know Matt will be asking around, so he better play it straight.

I've dealt with folks from back east, and if it's one thing they hate, it's lying to them. If you ran over their cat, you better fess up. If not, you take that **** to the grave! JJ would have been gone by now if Matt didn't like his answers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If James Jones doesn't value the draft, he better find a new way to find skeletons because sooner or later the supply runs out.

The Heat have proven, gems can be found even among undrafted free agents.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, that is probably the one thing that may have saved Jones' job: he spent the last few years working for probably the most obnoxious, meddlesome idiot in all of pro sports. So to the degree that fact is well documented, it gives him plausible deniability for the various bits of mismanagement.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those looking for Suns coaching talk heading into the Memorial Day weekend.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For those looking for Suns coaching talk heading into the Memorial Day weekend.

Been super busy new life changes why havent posted much :)

Really hope its vogel or nurse as hc noooooooo johnson

Please no cardinals type hc hire suns lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose