The Silent Game

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
NBA TV is showing the Houston Orlando game right now with no announcers.

I like it. It is kind of like being at the game.

Makes it harder to identify players if you are not familiar with the team though.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They did this in the NFL and it got better ratings than when they had announcers. However, the NFL only let it be a one game experiment. :shrug:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
DaFlogger said:
NBA tv must be hurting to pay employees... Cheap bastards.

This wasn't just for NBATV, the actual arena was the silent game.

The NBA has been flirting with the idea of limiting the stuff that goes on during the game, and a month ago they announced that they would try a "quiet game" to see how people reacted.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I heard that the crowd got sort of lulled to sleep by the quiet, so much that when there was an argument in the cheap seats about a spilled beer, one guy fatally stabbed another and no one even reacted until it was too late.

So now it's going to be known as the "silent but deadly" game.

Sundance

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind just having a play-by-play guy and dispensing with the color commentator.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love having a solid color guy like Eddie Johnson (solid and very very funny). Unfortunately, guys like Vinny Del Negro can't seem to get beyond cliches.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I agree with George about EJ - he's one of the few that adds something to a game. Marjele is okay though one game now and then with him is enough for me. I'm pretty quick with the 'mute' button but I almost always record the games so I can back up and turn the sound on if something inexplicible happens. I can live without knowing all the names of the opponents subs though sometimes I'll listen for a while to find out about one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson