The Shape of Water

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Shape of Water

Release date: December 1, 2017 (NY; LA release: Dec. 8)
Studio: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Director: Guillermo del Toro
MPAA Rating: R (for sexual content, graphic nudity, violence and language)
Screenwriters: Guillermo del Toro, Vanessa Taylor
Genre: Drama, Fantasy

Starring: Sally Hawkins, Michael Shannon, Richard Jenkins, Doug Jones, Michael Stuhlbarg, Octavia Spencer

Plot Summary: From master story teller, Guillermo del Toro, comes "The Shape of Water" - an other-worldly fairy tale, set against the backdrop of Cold War era America circa 1963. In the hidden high-security government laboratory where she works, lonely Elisa (Sally Hawkins) is trapped in a life of silence and isolation. Elisa’s life is changed forever when she and co-worker Zelda (Octavia Spencer) discover a secret classified experiment.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful film.

Del Toro can be hit or miss with me, but this was a home-run for me.

Won’t be for everyone. The woman next me kept laughing at things that weren’t funny and the older guy on the other side kept groaning every five minutes.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I am a big Del Torro fan, and loved this film. Had to go back to the original "Creature from the Black Lagoon" to see where it differed. Aqua Man looked very similar to the original one, though. :thumbup:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Great movie, and another modern fairy tale that Del Toro has a monopoly in. A little strange and not for everyone, but what a world. Solid acting all around--Michael Shannon sure can play a bad guy like nobody else. And Octavia Spencer and Michael Stuhlbarg elevate anything they are in, even though this didn't need it. Solid effort from Sally Hawkins, who to me is the new Tilda Swinton.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great movie, and another modern fairy tale that Del Toro has a monopoly in. A little strange and not for everyone, but what a world. Solid acting all around--Michael Shannon sure can play a bad guy like nobody else. And Octavia Spencer and Michael Stuhlbarg elevate anything they are in, even though this didn't need it. Solid effort from Sally Hawkins, who to me is the new Tilda Swinton.

Don’t forget about Richard Jenkins who was aces as usual!

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost walked out of this. I thought it was lousy. I didn't sign up for a masturbatory, ********** movie to go along with one of the oldest stories ever to be told - girl finds taboo love.

And like cheese said, there were people in the theater laughing at stuff that I have no idea why they were laughing.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
watched this on hbo the other night. really good flick...a little on the "artsy" side for me,..but still enjoyable since I am a sci-fi kinda geek.

Michael Shannon played a great villain and his closing line was awesome

all it really needed was a faraday cage and a couple of tesla coils to dead on nail early sci-fi/horror genre movies... it was very well done.

actually surprised this one wasnt pegged for Universals dark universe.... they owned the creature right? Drac, frank, mumm, hyde, wolfie, black lagoon??

obviously this guy was a bit more gentle... still gave me Hellboy flashbacks

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't terrible but it wasn't for me. Glad I didn't spend money on it in the theater.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
It wasn't terrible but it wasn't for me. Glad I didn't spend money on it in the theater.

Yeah, put me in the "not for everyone" camp. I like weird movies, but this one just didn't click with me. I liked the supporting cast though, especially Michael Shannon.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amazing movie. We rented this last night on Amazon and really enjoyed it.

Great cast and I am a sucker for these films set in the 1960's with the old cars, etc. Boy, Michael Shannon's character was an ass!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard