The Point of a Board

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Broards exist for a few reasons but the most prominent should be that it’s a place for fans to come together and exchange views. Some fans may be unhappy, some view the world with rose colored glasses (especially appropriate for Cardinal fans). However, everyone should be welcome to present their opinions. It’s also fine to express the opposite opinion. In the end we’re all just guessing. Sometimes all of us probably pontificate too much. It’s a hazard of the board. What we should not do is devolve into is a group of people attacking each other for having opinions. Without them there’d be no board. So can’t we all just focus on this being a fun time of the year? So Happy Holidays to all! Be kind to each other.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Broards exist for a few reasons but the most prominent should be that it’s a place for fans to come together and exchange views. Some fans may be unhappy, some view the world with rose colored glasses (especially appropriate for Cardinal fans). However, everyone should be welcome to present their opinions. It’s also fine to express the opposite opinion. In the end we’re all just guessing. Sometimes all of us probably pontificate too much. It’s a hazard of the board. What we should not do is devolve into is a group of people attacking each other for having opinions. Without them there’d be no board. So can’t we all just focus on this being a fun time of the year? So Happy Holidays to all! Be kind to each other.

I disagree! a board is a place we as fans can come to a concensus and....

aaah poo...just kidding....

Merry Christmas to you too Harry!!,...and the rest of y'all as well...

a redbird Christmas to all!!

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hell we are Cardinals fans we should respect each other we are a small group.

That reminds me I'm not a hockey fan but back when the NY Islanders were winning it all I said what the hell I will do what most do and bandwagon a team so I became an Islander fan. They haven't won jack sense. I can't even bandwagon fan the right team. Not one title after I picked them.

Last edited:

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Amen Harry! Happy holidays to you and the rest of the crazies here on ASFN.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
People are allowed to disagree, in fact message boards like these are the perfect place for it. People who post here are serious cards fans and opinions will vary

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry, well said, and Merry Christmas to all who celebrate Christmas. And Happy Holidays to all who don't. And all I want for Christmas is a new pair of rose colored glasses. Mine don't seem to be working, as I'm seeing things too clearly at times.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thank you Harry...a wonderful message. Best wishes everyone!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People are allowed to disagree, in fact message boards like these are the perfect place for it. People who post here are serious cards fans and opinions will vary
Agree, having different opinion and disagreing is the basic for socializing in a forum
But as always someone is too sensitive about different opinions and they perceived it as a critic

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very well put Harry.

We are all here to read about, learn and interact about the Cardinals. No better place to come everyday and check the threads. I read all the input here, be it negative or positive. You have to look at all sides to make your own opinion. I enjoy all posters and input. Keep bringing it on guys.

Thank you ASFN

Merry Christmas to everyone and their family!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great post Harry. Sharing opinions is fun; disagreements are also good but agree don't get into attack mode. Holiday wishes to all.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Thank you for speaking up, Harry. To be honest, I often question whether I should keep posting here in light of the personal attacks I and others receive from a variety of posters. When anyone takes the time and effort to write an in-depth article, to have someone come on and disparage it with a one line insult, the sheer meanness of those remarks take a toll. For the world of me, I do not understand why someone who doesn't think a post is worth their time to read would choose to disparage the post, rather than simply move on the next post. These trashings of a post remind me a lot of what Holden Caulfield said in The Catcher in the Rye about his own tombstone---how it will show his name and his date of birth and date of death...and that invariably someone will come along and write F^CK YOU on it.

I wish that everyone on this board would show respect for each and all posters. Is it really that difficult? If you don't like a poster---leave him or her be---we have lost a number of passionate posters because of the ill-treatment they received. If that makes any of you feel good, then shame on you. This board should be a safe forum for everyone. Sadly, when my students ask me about what websites I blog on, I don't tell them ASFN...for the very reasons I have been alluding to. If it weren't for the mistreatment of posters here i would be so proud to tell my students about ASFN, because there are so many good, astute, eloquent, passionate posters here that it makes coming here a few times every day a privilege.

And speaking of privileges, Harry, I and many others are very grateful that you are posting more frequently at ASFN. At times it feels like the old days when Skkorp was presiding over the board with such passion and pride. Your football acumen, insights and wisdom are off the charts---and, imo, on a par with the great Joel Buchsbaum...whose draft analyses I dearly miss. So, thank you Harry for being here---and thanks to everyone at ASFN who makes this board a superb source of information (bless you Ronin and crew), insights and predictions.

If there is one thing we are as Cardinals' fans---we are tough, resilient and determined birds.

Merry Christmas and the happiest of holidays to everyone.

Mitch

Last edited:

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Thank you, az jam. I appreciate the discussions we continue to have and I greatly value your perspectives. May all your holidays be merry and bright.

Reactions: TRW

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for speaking up, Harry. To be honest, I often question whether I should keep posting here in light of the personal attacks I and others receive from a variety of posters. When anyone takes the time and effort to write an in-depth article, to have someone come on and disparage it with a one line insult, the sheer meanness of those remarks take a toll. For the world of me, I do not understand why someone who doesn't think a post is worth their time to read would choose to disparage the post, rather than simply move on the next post. These trashings of a post remind me a lot of what Holden Caulfield said in The Catcher in the Rye about his own tombstone---how it will show his name and his date of birth and date of death...and that invariably someone will come along and write F^CK YOU on it.

I wish that everyone on this board would show respect for each and all posters. Is it really that difficult? If you don't like a poster---leave him or her be---we have lost a number of passionate posters because of the ill-treatment they received. If that makes any of you feel good, then shame on you. This board should be a safe forum for everyone. Sadly, when my students ask me about what websites I blog on, I don't tell them ASFN...for the very reasons I have been alluding to. If it weren't for the mistreatment of posters here i would be so proud to tell my students about ASFN, because there are so many good, astute, eloquent, passionate posters here that it makes coming here a few times every day a privilege.

And speaking of privileges, Harry, I and many others are very grateful that you are posting more frequently at ASFN. At times it feels like the old days when Skkorp was presiding over the board with such passion and pride. Your football acumen, insights and wisdom are off the charts---and, imo, on a par with the great Joel Buchsbaum...whose draft analyses I dearly miss. So, thank you Harry for being here---and thanks to everyone at ASFN who makes this board a superb source of information (bless you Ronin and crew), insights and predictions.

If there is one thing we are as Cardinals' fans---we are tough, resilient and determined birds.

Merry Christmas and the happiest of holidays to everyone.

Mitch

Don't always agree with you put appreciate the time and thought you always put into them. Merry Christmas Mitch.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is true. Let's stay that way and keep ASFN going strong.

We have all been through a lot of tough times being a Cardinals fan. Other people don't understand what this team has dragged us through. Our emotions have been fried with the all the cliff hangers we have had. Among other things.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Thank you for speaking up, Harry.

Mitch

Thank you for the nice compliment. We weren’t friends but I knew Joel a little. No one had a stronger passion for talent evaluation. At times he was almost a hermit preparing his Football Weekly Annual Prospect Digest. In fact that parent publication virtually disappeared shortly after his passing (I don’t count the TV show trading on the name). I’ve enjoyed my work and the privileges it afforded me. It’s always nice to be appreciated. However, no one came close to evaluating the number of prospects he did. Numerous small college players had careers due to his calling attention to them. I don’t believe anyone will ever attempt to produce such a publication again. I’ve lived long enough to miss all too many guys. It’s nice when someone brings up one of them. Nice of you to recall Skkorp. We all owe Skkorp for keeping up this board. It could have easily died after Rivals pulled out. RIP buddy!

londonpete

Rookie
Reaction score
Merry Xmas to all on ASFN from across the pond.

Have been a long time Cards fan since the StL days and really enjoy reading the posts and viewpoints on here.
Coverage of the Big Red is a bit sparse over here so thanks to Harry, Mitch, Rugby, Cbus and everyone else for keeping me occupied with all things Red.
Much better on here than the 'other' Cards forum.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love game-threads. I think of them in terms of:

A bunch of fans hanging out in the stands during a game and commenting on various stuff that takes place as the game unfolds.

Everything from: the QB sucks to Fitz is God to Fire BA to Keep BA to The Officiating is Rigged to Maddjack Can't Spell to The Beer is Flat... or whatever.

Some of the comments are outrageous. That's OK, because fans in the stands say outrageous things.

If I want to read (or speak) safe, homer stuff - the League provides plenty of that in its color commentary or on its highlight shows.

As for me, I find the game-threads extremely negative, biased and ill-informed. I like that - because it chronicles what Card rooters are feeling and saying at the time.

There is nothing wrong with feeling a deep kinship with those who share a love for the Cardinals but who also believe stuff that IMHO IS totally off the wall. (It's the American Way).

Happy Holidays and keep 'em comin'.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson