The Official X-Files Thread

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting! I would be okay with that. As long as he isn't a baddie, like the reject Reyes is

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
saw a preview for this the other day...

anyone else wonder if BASK decided to get into TV??
it just stinks of,..."Lets give it one more shot"....

oh well,..at least it aint a reboot right....

might have preferred a reboot,...or a torch passing to a pair of young agents

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
saw a preview for this the other day...

anyone else wonder if BASK decided to get into TV??
it just stinks of,..."Lets give it one more shot"....

oh well,..at least it aint a reboot right....

might have preferred a reboot,...or a torch passing to a pair of young agents
Then don’t watch! I think it could be incredibly relevant and here are still tons of great stories to tell.

And those two actors embody the characters extremely well. I can’t wait to spend more time with them.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then don’t watch! I think it could be incredibly relevant and here are still tons of great stories to tell.

And those two actors embody the characters extremely well. I can’t wait to spend more time with them.

I am not buying it. Well not totally. I agree with you the best part of the last mini-series was the monster of the week. However, I see a story arc here. No way they play this straight like a monster of week episode for the entire thing. Probably a mix of the two.

I can't wait!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I am not buying it. Well not totally. I agree with you the best part of the last mini-series was the monster of the week. However, I see a story arc here. No way they play this straight like a monster of week episode for the entire thing. Probably a mix of the two.

I can't wait!
I've heard that only the first and last episodes of the entire season are mythology based.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminder, the show returns tomorrow! Get your popcorn and DVRs ready!

I honestly am so stoked to see my two favorite characters back on screen together. There is so much nostalgia wrapped up in this show that it pretty much means I don’t give a flying F if the episodes are good or not. Mulder and Scully are back and that makes me happy.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We better enjoy. It will be the last. Gillian Anderson sounds like she is done and doesn’t want to return.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Money talks. She threatens this all the time. She said the same thing before the last event season.

I remember that but this sounds a little different. I got the distinct impression she was just tired of it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Premiere was just ok, like most mythology episodes since season 8. I'm not sure Chris Carter really has the talent anymore to write and direct this show. Good idea guy, but his execution is lacking.

Still, there were a few things that I liked: the big reveal at the end, more Skinner in one episode than in the entire event series, Mark Snow's very updated and epic score, and the really updated end credit theme. A lot of good call backs to previous seasons too.

Didn't like the "it was a vision" cop-out after last season's finale and Duchovny didn't look very good. I hope he brings more energy to the monster-of-the-week stuff. The one thing I hated the most was the voiceover. Not sure why they did that. They used it sparingly in the first few seasons of the show, but that was mainly at the end of the episode when they were basically reciting the report they were filing about that particular case (or in some cases, philosophising at the beginning of an episode). This seemed like an old-fashioned private eye concept. Like it normally, but not with X-Files.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be true, but Duchovny did the same thing after season 7, so you never know.

Yeah I am sure it’s usually about money but she just repeated it and Chris Carter just made a statement that there will be no more X-Files without her so it sounds different this time.

I would throw a big payday at her and try right!?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I just checked this out on dvr. it was okay, I'll watch next week. no big surprises and nothing earth shattering... it was x files

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I think of Chris Carter, I think of voiceovers. The dude loves his voice overs, lol.

Premiere was alright. I probably should have watched Season 10 so I could catch up but the mythology is so convoluted now that I really don’t care to focus too much on the details. Duchovny’s acting was flat more so than normal. And I wish Gillian would stop her whisper-acting. But anyway, it was nice to see them on my screen again. Bring on the MOTW eps!

Spoilers ahead....don’t read on if you hate spoilers......

I am not okay with the thought of CSM being William’s dad. I hope that CSM truly believes it but it turns out to still be Mulder’s in the end.

I like how Scully is immune, goes along with her being immortal. I did like how they re-visited the CSM/Scully dynamic. “En Ami” episode from season 7 is one of my favorite eps from that season, which they referenced in this episode. They have a weird dynamic between the two and I laughed when Skinner asked if he was in love with her.

I still trust Skinner regardless of whatever deal he made with CSM.

Also, do you think Reyes sings whale songs to CSM? Screw her.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Uh, yeah... I was a big fan of the series but a lot about this just seems off. Agree that Duchovny's acting was pretty bad in this episode and I also hate the idea that ...spoiler... SM is the father of William. What really drove me crazy was that the whole chase scene was a Mustang commercial. How many times do they have to show the front and back of the car with the emblem as the focal point? I know about product placement but come on! It really took me out of the X-Files universe. The Dodge Charger chasing him also got a cameo. Maybe it's because I bought a Camaro last year. smh

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
on a sadly similar note...

ROSEANNE IS BACK!!!

its kinda like the late eighties all over again... but everyone is older and fatter,...even the republican in office

That which is dead should remain dead.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Word is that the Monster-of-the-week episodes (basically the rest of the episodes except the finale) are "above average". Not sure what that means, but I would say that only one episode from season 10 was "above average", so if the rest of the episodes are on par with Were Monster, I'm pretty excited.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MUCH better 2nd episode.
Agreed. I enjoyed it considerably more than the first episode.

Great Mulder/Scully dynamic, some humor, badass shootouts/fights, and a huge dose of nostalgia. More of this, please!