The Official X-Files Thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And if anybody cares, here is a list of callbacks in the episode:

- Mulder's red speedo
- Scully's claim to be immortal
- Two stoners in the beginning were in other episodes like Quagmire and War of the Caprophages
- Motel manager was also in Humbug, Clyde Bruckman and Jose Chung
- Mulder finding the passageway and looking through a "fox" head
- Mulder and his pencils (although the poster is claimed to be Scully's)
- Porta Potty (where they see Guy Mann first - callback to The Host)
- Guy's human wardrobe is almost exactly like Darin McGavin's in Kolchak: The Night Stalker
- The Graveyard (tombstones for Kim Manners and Jack Darby)
- Mulder's cell phone ringtone is the X-files theme
- Dagoo! Scully's callback to Queequeg and getting his replacement, ALSO named after a character in Moby Dick

There are some reaches beyond these, but there were a tone of them in this episode.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I am seeing a bunch of negative reviews about Episode 3 -- it's obvious a lot of people didn't bother watching the original series and are going into this one blind. There's people even saying they are quitting the show after this one! Unbelievable!

Oh, and if anybody is curious--most of us know who Kim Manners is, but the other tombstone had "Jack Hardy" on it, he was the Assistant Director on one of the movies (I don't remember which one).

If people didn't like Episode 3 they must have not been fans of the original show. Period.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I am seeing a bunch of negative reviews about Episode 3 -- it's obvious a lot of people didn't bother watching the original series and are going into this one blind. There's people even saying they are quitting the show after this one! Unbelievable!

Oh, and if anybody is curious--most of us know who Kim Manners is, but the other tombstone had "Jack Hardy" on it, he was the Assistant Director on one of the movies (I don't remember which one).

If people didn't like Episode 3 they must have not been fans of the original show. Period.

+1

I thought it seemed a bit forced at times, but was very old files that I remember and cherish. Unfortunately, most of the past episodes haven't held up against time as well as this episode will IMO.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Scully-centric episodes.

Poor Scully :(

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Definitely like classic X-Files. Nice to see Mulder actually being 100% Mulder again--up until now, he wasn't.

Funny thing is, you can see a character progression in these 4 episodes getting Mulder to where he is now, but the episode that aired on Monday was actually the 2nd episode filmed.

Gillian is such a great actress. Award-worthy work from her in this episode, regardless if you don't like the raspy voice and understated performance.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on the finale? It was a good episode but here is the problem I had with it....they tried to fit all "types" of X-files episodes into a 6 season arc. As a result, this final episode was sort of like getting hit by a car. Not much lead in and they tried to pull it all together within one episode. Like I said it was a good episode but this 6 episode thing isn't working for me. Not if they are going to try and fit in every type of X-files episode into a mini-season and still try and tell a story arc.

I wish they would do at least 10 to 12 episodes. That seems to be what we need out of future installments. It felt like...hey...we are already on episode 6...let's cram everything in there and leave a freaking cliff hanger. I don't think it's going to happen though (getting more than 6 episodes). Fox indicated it wants more but I doubt we get anything other than a 6 episode arc again. Both David and Gillian have stated it would be difficult to do multi-month long shoots for the show because they both have commitments for the foreseeable future. Gillian seemed the most apprehensive because of that and family in the U.K.

I am not saying I didn't enjoy the return...I absolutely did. I just think it's hard for them to cram so much into 6 episodes and the finale left fans wanting without knowing if anything will happen anytime soon. Even if it does? The 6 episode arc sucks.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on the finale? It was a good episode but here is the problem I had with it....they tried to fit all "types" of X-files episodes into a 6 season arc. As a result, this final episode was sort of like getting hit by a car. Not much lead in and they tried to pull it all together within one episode. Like I said it was a good episode but this 6 episode thing isn't working for me. Not if they are going to try and fit in every type of X-files episode into a mini-season and still try and tell a story arc.

I wish they would do at least 10 to 12 episodes. That seems to be what we need out of future installments. It felt like...hey...we are already on episode 6...let's cram everything in there and leave a freaking cliff hanger. I don't think it's going to happen though. Fox indicated it wants more but I doubt we get anything other than a 6 episode arc again. Both David and Gillian have stated it would be difficult to do multi-month long shoots for the show because they both have commitments for the foreseeable future. Gillian seemed the most apprehensive because of that and family in the U.K.

I am not saying I didn't enjoy the return...I absolutely did. I just think it's hard for them to cram so much into 6 episodes and the finale left fans wanting without knowing if anything will happen anytime soon. Even if it does? The 6 episode arc sucks.

I felt the exact same way. I think that they will do another.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think the finale was about on par with the average mythology episodes they did back in the original run.

Chris Carter has said that Fox wants to do another season, but he has another project he wants to do first. Take that for what it is.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mad man trying to mold the world into the image that he wants. Paging William Bell.

Totally thought the same thing.

I agree about the 10 episode run. Wish it was a bit more. As an MSR die-hard, I wish we got to see one kiss between the two. Overal though, I enjoyed the 6 episode run. The lizard man episode was my favorite for sure. I liked the last episode, too.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I am proud to announce that, 23 years later, I finally watched the pilot episode of The X-Files. Every Thursday on My45 channel - I think this show will be a hit!

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am proud to announce that, 23 years later, I finally watched the pilot episode of The X-Files. Every Thursday on My45 channel - I think this show will be a hit!
Yes! You gonn watch the series now?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Even with the lackluster season 10, this has jumped to my most anticipated upcoming show. More, more, more Darin Morgan please.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Looks really good, but I'm thinking about 85% of the footage in that trailer comes from the premiere and the finale, which rumor has it are the only "mythology episodes" of the entire 10-episode run.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks really good, but I'm thinking about 85% of the footage in that trailer comes from the premiere and the finale, which rumor has it are the only "mythology episodes" of the entire 10-episode run.

If true, I would be very annoyed.