The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Landon also said this in an interview with FIFA....

Now he needs to hold Dempsey accountable because he hasn't played well for the Nat's recently. Last night he was flopping at the slightest contact and it could easily be said he was no better than the 6th or 7th best US player on the field in Ohio. We need Dempsey to play at the level he did not so long ago to have more success as a team.

I thought Dempsey was the worst player on the pitch. Not to say he wasn't completely horrible, but the only positive thing that he did was get a slight touch on the Diskerud cross that Donovan was able to finish. He couldn't even beat Beckerman.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ha! Fair enough, I don't have the game so can't comment.

I can assure though I have never met any here that says it like that.

I guess this would be the 'standard' British pronunciation

LAN-DUN DON-O-VUN

Of course if you go anywhere like London, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham etc. they all speak funny and wouldn't pronounce it correcrly anyway.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are supposedly (supposedly) the World Cup jerseys...

You must be registered for see images

Edit: they're fake but look cool anyways :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WCQs wrap up for the US today, crazy to think we'll only see this team maybe four more times before they're off to Brazil with so many spots still to be sorted.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only got the highlights as the game was again on Al Jazeera, but got to see Johannsonn get the goal after having a few good efforts go unrewarded against Jamaica.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i wish JK called me in for GK tonight ...... meaningless game and all ..... would have been a perfect night to see MX sit out Brazil

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
This a translation of the Mexican announcer from last night, they had the end of both games side by side during their broadcast. Quite the rant...

"It is because of the USA that we are being placed in the playoff ...BECAUSE OF THEM , NOT DUE TO YOU..NOT ANY OF YOU in the green shirts ....IT WAS THEM!!.NOT YOU!..THEY DID IT!!!!!NOT YOU! remember this forever..... KEEP THIS CLEARLY IN MIND FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES! You do NOTHING for the shirt, you do NOT put the effort, you have NOT placed us in the playoffs , you HAVE NOT placed us in the WORLD CUP ..YOU WOULD NOT HAVE KEPT US ALIVE....IT WAS ESTADOS UNIDOS, NOT YOU! NOT YOU AND YOUR ARROGANCE/CONCEIT.....NOT YOU AND YOUR INFAMY....NOT YOU AND YOUR MORONS/PUNKS....
"IT IS A FAILURE.....and UNDESERVED -to go through to the playoff- WE HAD NO ARGUMENTS to earn the playoffs, THE USA, WITH SUBS , WITH MANY SUBS as the visiting team shows us once again what the USA is all about ....how to play the game with dignity, how to approach the sport..MExico is a horror, just terrible....A FAILURE....
THE USA HAS SURPASSED US ..They are better than Mexico in SOCCER ....THEY EVEN HAVE THE LUXURY OF PLAYING THEIR SUBS and KEEPING US LIVE.... I hope our coach wears the pants and resigns..He has failed as coach...."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/mexico-soccer-announcer-translation-2013-10#ixzz2huyXAuHD

:D

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This a translation of the Mexican announcer from last night, they had the end of both games side by side during their broadcast. Quite the rant...

:D

I posted this in another thread, but what the hell - it is perfect

You must be registered for see images attach

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Who are your 23, for Brazil?

Forwards (4) - Jozy Altidore and Clint Dempsey would be the two locks. Aron Johannsson would be a good fit as an offensive substitution. Herculez Gomez's versatility would make him the best emergency/injury starter. He has the size to be a target forward, or has the ability to play wide.

Midfielders (9) – Michael Bradley, Landon Donovan, Fabian Johnson, Jermaine Jones, and Graham Zusi are the locks. Eddie Johnson can play up top, but would be a great speed substitution on the wings. Brad Davis brings veteran poise, while Brek Shea could bring youthful enthusiasm. This leaves the center midfield horribly shallow, so Mix Diskerud gets the final midfield spot by default.

Defenders (7) – Matt Besler, Geoff Cameron, Omar Gonzalez, Danny Williams, DeMarcus Beasley, Clarence Goodsen, John Brooks. Honestly, there were about 10 names that can be included and I feel luke-warm towards all of them. There are no "best four" and whichever players are getting the most minutes with their club team and show the best form (from now until the World Cup) will get tickets.

Keepers (3) – Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Romando are all three locks. Romando is a great locker room guy and no way is Jurgen trusting any of the young net-minders if the third goal stopper is needed.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Julian Green is more German than American, he played mostly for the German youth teams and spend practically all his life in Germany.
He is talented enough that he could possibly develop into a player that would be interesting for the German national team but that is probably 4+ years away.

He'd be stupid to make the same mistake Kevin-Prince Boateng and some other players made by accepting these lure offers to lock himself in permanently.

Usually it is the Turkish football association trying to lure young German players with Turkish background to play a couple of minutes for them so they can't play for Germany later.
Sad to see the US adopting the same tactics with Green.

Green right now is merely a good talent, he is not ready for any national team yet.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USMNT has more young midfielders than I think they know what to do with. I'm sure this kid has a high ceiling. I just don't see how USMNT can promise him anything right now. They don't even know what they have.

OTOH, they have players like Luis Gil, who turn down offers from Arsenal to play for Real Salt Lake. Development is uneven.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Julian Green declined the invitation basically stating it is too early to make that kind of decision. I guess he and his advisors are smart enough to realize that in 4 years he can potentially be an option for the German national team if he continue to develop.

Of course Klinsmann sells it to the US media as if it was their decision to not invite him now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Julian Green declined the invitation basically stating it is too early to make that kind of decision. I guess he and his advisors are smart enough to realize that in 4 years he can potentially be an option for the German national team if he continue to develop.

Of course Klinsmann sells it to the US media as if it was their decision to not invite him now.

Get your anti-US rhetoric out of here.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen