The Official Lakers/Celtics rivalry thread

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
WOW!!!!!!
Let me get this straight:

1. Celtics beat the Lakers by 38 points ( most points in Finals history- clinching game)
2. Celtics have a stranglehold in Finals meetings (9-2)
3. Celtics have the record for the greatest comeback in finals history ( post 24 second clock)
4. Kobe proved he can't come up big in the big stage.
5. Kobe proved he isn't "Jordanesque"
6. Kobe wasn't the best player on the floor
7. Ray Allen got the last laugh.
8. Kobe still can't win without the Big Aristotle
9. Shaq is kicking off his Finals after party...all drinks on him!

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yes, the one you forgot Joe:

10. The Clippers still, and forever will, suck.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Whaa...... whaaaa......whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
And yes, the one you forgot Joe:

10. The Clippers still, and forever will, suck.

Clever! But seriously though, wasn't it horrible for you to watch?

Didn't you say 6 games...Lakers?

Oh well, you were right about the game total but just picked the wrong team. Chin up, you big balooka...the sun will come out tomorrow. :)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Finals smack should be reserved for fans of teams that have actually appeared in the Finals before...

LOL

No Clippers fans !!

:jedi:

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Maybe Finals smack should be reserved for fans of teams that have actually appeared in the Finals before...

LOL

No Clippers fans !!

Hey, I live in LA so I have claim in the smack talk. By the way, You don't have to live here and watch all the flags waving from all the fair weathered fan's cars. Hopefully if my Clippers ever get to the finals they will not SUCK it up like you guys did. 2 awful records ( biggest collapse & biggest romp in finals history) that no one ever wants to have and you guys hold em.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

LOL

No Clippers fans !!

Your argument unfortunately doesn't hold water because the Suns have been in the finals before!

You are either a winner or you are not! No difference between losers!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your argument unfortunately doesn't hold water because the Suns have been in the finals before!

You are either a winner or you are not! No difference between losers!

He's talking to a clipper fan.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no rivalry. Two teams can't meet after all this time and call it a rivalry. Here is the ultimate litmus test. If these teams don't meet again for 10 years....history will not look back and say "remember that 08 Lakers-Celtics Finals...wow what a rivalry".

Let's save the bandwidth for when these teams actually play a couple more times before declaring it a rivalry.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rivalries never die. What mattered then, matters now...etc. That's 100% true.

C'mon! These two teams have matched up on the biggest stage more than any other teams in the league.

If you are a Lakers fan or a Celtics fan - the rivalry will never die.

Right now we're pissed more that the Celtics got #17 than we are that we lost the title this year. Now we're trailing them by yet another championship. UGH !!

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Justify it however you want! :bang:

HEY, we got smileys back. :thumbup:

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
There is no rivalry. Two teams can't meet after all this time and call it a rivalry. Here is the ultimate litmus test. If these teams don't meet again for 10 years....history will not look back and say "remember that 08 Lakers-Celtics Finals...wow what a rivalry".
You certainly can't call this year a rivalry. Rivalries are not one-sided. Celtics swept them in the regular season and demolished them in the Finals. Hell, the Lakers could easily have been swept. They weren't very impressive in the two games they did win.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if quietly among themselves Boston let up in game 5 just to be able to win it at home in front of their own fans. They knew LA couldn't beat them in the (new) Garden.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You certainly can't call this year a rivalry. Rivalries are not one-sided. Celtics swept them in the regular season and demolished them in the Finals. Hell, the Lakers could easily have been swept. They weren't very impressive in the two games they did win.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if quietly among themselves Boston let up in game 5 just to be able to win it at home in front of their own fans. They knew LA couldn't beat them in the (new) Garden.
I kinda (briefly) wondered the same thing.