The official Highlander thread

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is for discussing the Highlander movies and television series.

There can be only one! :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leonard Directing Highlander: The Source
Source: Moviehole
November 16, 2004

Moviehole tells us they have confirmed that Australian director Brett Leonard (Virtuosity, The Lawnmower Man, Man-Thing) has signed to direct the next installment in the "Highlander" series.

The site says the fifth movie, Highlander: The Source, is going off in a slightly different direction than the previous movies. For example, there will be no Connor McCloud (Christopher Lambert) in this film.

The movie is rumored to tell the story of four new charismatic Immortals as they quest to locate the Holy Grail of their world.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't it ironic that there are so many installments of the movie that claims "there can be only one"? For me, there IS only one--and that's the original. What a kick ass movie.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
TV shows? Sequels? Um, NO! The Highlander was one of the all-time great sci-fi/fantasy classics, and will remain as such. Everything else is wasteful fluff, at best.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
TV shows? Sequels? Um, NO! The Highlander was one of the all-time great sci-fi/fantasy classics, and will remain as such. Everything else is wasteful fluff, at best.

I agree, but there are likely people out there who like the other movies and tv shows...even the one with the bleach blonde female highlander. :D

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I loved the tv series.. I thought the production quality was actually very good in them and many of the stories and actors were quite good. Unfortunately for the movies after the first one, it seemed like they were only setout to make a B film which I found dissapointing :(

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hey what's wrong with Highlander?! Ever watch the television series?! and no not with the fake blond hair chick...Raven I think it was even though her hair wasn't black anymore :) I think she was a miss universe or something like that..really hot when she was younger with long hair...great rack...

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
Hey what's wrong with Highlander?! Ever watch the television series?! and no not with the fake blond hair chick...Raven I think it was even though her hair wasn't black anymore :) I think she was a miss universe or something like that..really hot when she was younger with long hair...great rack...

Nothing is wrong with Highlander. Just the opposite. I probably have TOO MUCH to say on the topic.

I liked Raven and thought it was just hitting its stride. Her name is Elizabeth Ward Gracen, and was Miss America. I didn't like the white hair though. She was in Playboy too!!!

Like I said, I probably have too much to say so I'd probably do better to comment piecemeal. Lots of subjects available in this thread.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought Raven was ok but I liked the original highlander tv series better.. I thought it had a certain sophistication to it that the movies lacked.. I know that's silly to say that any of it has that but..that's how I felt. :thumbup:

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
I thought Raven was ok but I liked the original highlander tv series better.. I thought it had a certain sophistication to it that the movies lacked.. I know that's silly to say that any of it has that but..that's how I felt.

The series was great until the storyline where Duncan killed Ritchie off (an unforgiveable offense). It went downhill from there and Duncan became so self-righteous and dull. It was pretty intolerable after that.

But, the series gave many great things! Amanda, Hugh Fitzcairn, the Four Horsemen and Methos!

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There were a lot of discrepencies in the shows though..even how Duncan got his sword I think had two stories...also where did they put their swords? They weren't always wearing big jackets.. and how did they keep their existance secret for so long? They even had a ******** guy as an immortal and they know nothing about being immortal when they first become that way? Also they only become immortal when they die... Why are most of them in their 20's through 40's then? Why not really old immortals? That would be the norm..especially for the next generation wouldn't you say? Also didn't they gain the other persons powers and experiences when they killed another immortal? It didn't seem that way..especially with Methos who was so out of practice he was just going to give Duncan his head..even though he had killed more than anyone.. Wouldn't the young ones just get killed off then?!?!?! etc...etc...etc...etc...etc..!!!! :D Love the story but it should have been a little more "tight" I think...

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:
The series was great until the storyline where Duncan killed Ritchie off (an unforgiveable offense). It went downhill from there and Duncan became so self-righteous and dull. It was pretty intolerable after that.

But, the series gave many great things! Amanda, Hugh Fitzcairn, the Four Horsemen and Methos!

I kind of liked that, and it wasn't his fault it was..what's his name, arimis? can't remember..that god :)

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
I kind of liked that, and it wasn't his fault it was..what's his name, arimis? can't remember..that god :)

Something.

But, why did they do it? Moreover, why did they try to give more destiny to Duncan than he already had? It was unnecessary, and a bad way to bring a new aspect in.

As to Ritchie, having him around as a newbie Immortal was great, and exactly where Raven was going when it was cancelled.

Besides, you HAVE to dig a chick who can handle a sword.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well I thought it was ok..Ritchie was starting to get on my nerves anyways... and I thought the new god was really cool actually... I remember him in my religious studies.. So do you know the answer to all of my questions? :D

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
There were a lot of discrepencies in the shows though..even how Duncan got his sword I think had two stories

The only one I saw was him receiving it from the Japanese landowner who took him in (who Duncan later helped commit hara kiri).

...also where did they put their swords? They weren't always wearing big jackets..

I would imagine in their community there were ways to holster them in clever ways. Ultimately, it is just a creative thing for the show. They’re not there until they need to be.

and how did they keep their existance secret for so long?

They didn’t, hence the Watchers.

They even had a ******** guy as an immortal and they know nothing about being immortal when they first become that way?

I’m not sure I understand this question.

Also they only become immortal when they die...

It was described as an unnatural (or violent) death. There were probably lots of potentials that died of old age that never became Immortals.

Why are most of them in their 20's through 40's then?

One in story reason and one out-story reason. In story, because the older weaker ones were easier to pick off. Out-story reason? Because tv viewers want to look at pretty people.

[quoteAlso didn't they gain the other persons powers and experiences when they killed another immortal?[/quote]

I’m not sure about experiences. Were there specific instances where someone internalized another’s memories? As to powers, that’s up in the air. In the movie, Mario killed the Sorcerer guy and thus took his magic power (ugh!). In the series, there was the soul eater that Duncan took (but then we never saw again).

It didn't seem that way..especially with Methos who was so out of practice he was just going to give Duncan his head..even though he had killed more than anyone..

You have to take Methos with a grain of salt. He vacillates between wanting to be the oldest guy on the earth to just ending it all. I’m sure it’s hard to keep perspective, let alone morals and values, after such a long time.

Wouldn't the young ones just get killed off then?!?!?! etc...etc...etc...etc...etc..!!!! :D Love the story but it should have been a little more "tight" I think...

It could have and should have been tighter, but they have to do things to keep the story fresh after so many seaons.

How’d I do? I’m such a geek.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know about the Watchers. I mean tv crews, normal people etc..why didn't they know? As for the ******** guy.. I mean he was really stupid why wouldn't he tell people? I can't believe all of them had enough sense to keep quiet. Also the watchers were a secret group if they had to handle every guy who was going to tattle they would have been exposed much earlier....

The holster thing I kind of doubt :) sometimes they would even show his back with a tucked in shirt and somehow he would have a sword in his hand all of a sudden :)

As for the sword... I think Conner gave him one in the beginning too beside that oriental guy..or maybe it was another story. I'm almost sure he got it two different ways though.. Just have no memory..it was a looong time ago when I watched that series..think I saw them all though :)

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
As for the sword... I think Conner gave him one in the beginning too beside that oriental guy..or maybe it was another story. I'm almost sure he got it two different ways though.. Just have no memory..it was a looong time ago when I watched that series..think I saw them all though :)
Yeah Conner gave him a sword when Conner pass the torch to him. Highlander is one of my fav shows. :thumbup:

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:

I LOVED THE HIGHLANDER TV SHOW!!!!!!!!!! I totally agree that it went downhill after Duncan killed Richie. This series was the first sci-fi thing that I ever liked! It was just the beginning! Aaahhhhhh, Duncan McLeod!!!!
You must be registered for see images attach
He made the series worth watching! LOL!

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't mind living his life..getting all the women living forever...having all love ones die from old age and having to cut off peoples heads would kind of suck though....

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
In anticipation of the 2010 remake, I just watched the original. Decent flick I guess. Pretty cheesy, but that's to be expected from an '86 fantasy movie.

Loved the line "tonight you sleep in hell!"

I also enjoy seeing the product placement in these old films. I hadn't seen the old version of Nacho Cheese Doritos in a looong time.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
In anticipation of the 2010 remake, I just watched the original. Decent flick I guess. Pretty cheesy, but that's to be expected from an '86 fantasy movie.

Loved the line "tonight you sleep in hell!"

I also enjoy seeing the product placement in these old films. I hadn't seen the old version of Nacho Cheese Doritos in a looong time.

Wow, there is soooo much wrong with this post! lol

2010 remake? Um, ******** idea!

Only decent? Blasphemy! (cheesy, yes. classic and brilliant, yes).

Old version of Nacho Cheese Doritos? Vastly superior to the current, over-cheesed Doritos. We need the original chips back, daggonit!

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Old version of Nacho Cheese Doritos? Vastly superior to the current, over-cheesed Doritos. We need the original chips back, daggonit!

I don't disagree with this, I got nostalgic for the old version when I saw them. The only flavor I can stomach nowadays is cool ranch.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, there is soooo much wrong with this post! lol

2010 remake? Um, ******** idea!

Only decent? Blasphemy! (cheesy, yes. classic and brilliant, yes).

you are over-cheesed.