THE Newcastle United FC thread

Discussion in 'World Sports' started by Stout, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

But, hey, that's our star 1/2 season loan signing, who we won't have for 3 games lol

2. Stout

And they're through. Whew! Any other team--ANY other team--and I could've turned the radio off in the 2nd half when Newcastle went up 3-0. But this is the Mags we're talking about. Bruce and co did their level best to choke the lead away. Thank goodness they held on! Onwards and upwards to the final 8. Now it gets far, far more difficult. Still, it's been a fun cup run.

3. Stout

Much as I hate Sunderland, I really enjoy "Sunderland 'Til I Die" on Netflix. It gives a marvelous look into the workings of a soccer club, and shows just how bad previous management have screwed them. Given I want the Tyne-Wear Derby to recommence, it'd be nice to see them promoted--though we knew before this series that it didn't happen.

Sure is nice to smile at where they are, though, as a Newcastle fan. Could've happened to the Magpies, so it's gratifying it happened to the kittens instead. The way they were going crazy for the Checktrade Trophy really had me rolling. Talking about winning a cup and all, and how they beat Newcastle along the way. Sunderland's 1st team beat the U-21s for Newcastle lol And, as irrelevant as the Checktrade Trophy is, they didn't manage to win that, just as they didn't win promotion.

Like I said, though, I do want them back in the PL with Newcastle. I won't say in the same league, because then, you watch: Newcastle would get demoted and Sunderland promoted :)

Edit: Oh man, I forgot how heartbreaking their playoff loss was. moments away from a penalty kick shootout for promotion!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  4. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

Did you watch S2? I saw S1 and really liked it. I need to watch S2.

5. Stout

I did. And, if you haven't watched season 2 yet, disregard most of my above post as spoiler-ish :)

Season 2 was just as good, if not better, than the first one.

6. dreamcastrocks

Oh man, what a way to lose. Oof. That is the Santonio Holmes tip toe in the end zone equivalent. They go up next season if Grigg finds the net. Considering how much they paid for him, they should have just paid their striker to stay.

7. Stout

They weren't ever going to keep Maja in the 2nd division. What they should have done is decided a move up in leagues was way more important than...what was it, a million and a half Euros? They should have kept him until the end of the season and forgot about getting money for him. Promotion was way bigger.

Also, with the season winding down (if they ever finish it) Sunderland are sat in 7th place, 1 place outside of the playoffs, on goal difference. Only 3 points off automatic promotion (not counting goal difference), so it's tight. And Will Grigg? Forget about it. He has 1 goal in 2 league appearances.

8. dreamcastrocks

You are absolutely right about holding onto him. If they get promoted, then maybe he stays. I would have risked him leaving too.

Stout likes this.
  9. Stout

Howay the lads! Go out and beat them Blades!

10. Stout

Huge win. That handbags confrontation in the 1st half was a godsend, as it gave both players a yellow, and the Blades defender was off early in the 2nd with his 2nd yellow. Still, a 3-0 win was massive, and put the Mags at 38 points. Now if they can go on to beat Man City on Sunday to advance in the FA Cup. Yeah, doesn't seem likely, with the form Man City's in.

11. Stout

Disappointing draw, but now sitting on 39 points. 4 points out of 6 after the re-start. I'll take it.

12. Stout

Howay the lads! Put Bournemouth to the sword.

13. Stout

Maybe now the media can stop going down on Brucie boy. Jesus, that was ugly. When asked why Shar, who as a CM makes an excellent CB, when he had other options in midfield, he said he wanted "physicality." Effing clueless, plodding manager who struggles to do well at the Championship level. A never-was dinosaur of a manager. But hey, he's a nice guy!

Why don't those media flunkies ever bring his name up when jobs like Arsenal or Man U are open? Oh, right, because he's not actually any good.

14. Stout

And the spiral continues. Cripes, do we need the takeover done and Bruce gone!

15. Stout

Was my post taken down? Cannot blame the mods one bit if it was. Sorry, but the screw job by the Premier League really got me going. Mea culpa.