The New Patrick Peterson?

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
Which player do you think of in this draft that has the potential to be a shut-down corner? Greedy Williams, Deandre Baker, maybe Byron Murphy or Julian Love?

In my opinion, Byron Murphy is going to be the next Patrick Peterson & I believe he'll be in DROY talk if he doesn't get injured. He's everything you want in a cornerback. He has a good IQ, feet, hip flexibility, acceleration/speed, tackling and ball skills. How many cornerbacks in this draft class can you say has everything Murphy has? Skip the film, read a scouting report on every cornerback in this draft class and lemme know which ones have a similar (looking for an EXACT or even better skill set on top of everything Murphy has) skillset. BEFORE YOU GO OFF ON ME FOR SAYING MURPHY IS THE NEXT P2, NOT EVERYTHING WILL BE EXACTLY SIMILAR ie HEIGHT, WEIGHT, EXACT COMBINE NUMBERS ETC

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like Murphy, but PP is the prototype physically for the CB position... There's not a PP in every draft, just like there's not a Calvin Johnson, SaQuan, Kahlil Mack... Justin Layne might have highest upside, but still not the athlete.

OP
OP
Kai

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Layne is average at best. Why? He’s not flexible, and his IQ and foot speed/smoothness is lacking

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Which player do you think of in this draft that has the potential to be a shut-down corner? Greedy Williams, Deandre Baker, maybe Byron Murphy or Julian Love?

In my opinion, Byron Murphy is going to be the next Patrick Peterson & I believe he'll be in DROY talk if he doesn't get injured. He's everything you want in a cornerback. He has a good IQ, feet, hip flexibility, acceleration/speed, tackling and ball skills. How many cornerbacks in this draft class can you say has everything Murphy has? Skip the film, read a scouting report on every cornerback in this draft class and lemme know which ones have a similar (looking for an EXACT or even better skill set on top of everything Murphy has) skillset. BEFORE YOU GO OFF ON ME FOR SAYING MURPHY IS THE NEXT P2, NOT EVERYTHING WILL BE EXACTLY SIMILAR ie HEIGHT, WEIGHT, EXACT COMBINE NUMBERS ETC

None of these guys are Patrick Peterson... do you realize that Patrick Peterson is one of the greats and very probable to have a gold jacket in his closet one day, guess not

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
None of these guys are Patrick Peterson... do you realize that Patrick Peterson is one of the greats and very probable to have a gold jacket in his closet one day, guess not

Peterson has been phenomenal and would probably have gotten insane national coverage if he played for a franchise that ESPN followed.

OP
OP
Kai

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
Well no poo I guess I’m ********. Of course they’re not P2 I’m saying that Byron Murphy is the best CB in this draft class and is most likely
to be good like Peterson

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Well no **** I guess I’m ********. Of course they’re not P2 I’m saying that Byron Murphy is the best CB in this draft class and is most likely
to be good like Peterson

Like Peterson then means you think he will be as good as Peterson... make some sense

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no Patrick Peterson in this draft. People don’t understand how special he is.

It’s like when guys say oh (this late first rounder) reminds me of Larry Fitzgerald lol

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I truly LOLed at this.

A smaller, slow CB being compared to a possible future Hall of Famer?

Murphy is a nice player, but there is a reason he isnt being talked about as a high 1st round pick.

Peterson is/was a special athlete, while Murphy is an average athlete at CB in the NFL.

He lacks length and foot speed, so his technique is going to have to be elite to make up for it. He honestly might be a better nickel than outside CB in the NFL.

OP
OP
Kai

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
Doesn’t need to, everything else in his skill set makes up for it ie Richard Sherman
/cardinal

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Doesn’t need to, everything else in his skill set makes up for it ie Richard Sherman
/cardinal

I think Murphy is destine to be a solid slot coverage guy because he has quicks but lacks a physical presence or speed to play outside. I see no relation to Richard Sherman's actual technique, unless you are referring to simply having coverage technique) because he lacks the bulk or physical nature of Sherman. Sherman is great a jamming a WR at the line and Murphy is not close or even does it at all, actually two totally different styles of play. I do think Murphy can have a respectable long career in the NFL, but at his weight and poor tackling form (plus a lack of actual speed) will never get by as a prime coverage guy lacking bulk as say DRC because he does not have that kind of recovery speed. What I respect about Sherman is that his style is very physical and still he has found a way to play his game with all the advantages in rules favoring the WR in the modern context. If one want to find a good comparison to Sherman in technique... a special Cardinal named Aeneas Williams

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
none of them

PP was beyond special coming out of LSU. He was the #1 rated player that draft, Cards got lucky to get him.

None of these guys are even close to what PP was coming out.

and Keim won't want anyone who hasn't been recently injured

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well no **** I guess I’m ********. Of course they’re not P2 I’m saying that Byron Murphy is the best CB in this draft class and is most likely
to be good like Peterson
I prefer Baker.

Greedy has tackling issues and the other top prospects aren't as good as PP in shutdown mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson