The Monuments Men

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Monuments Men

Release Date: February 6, 2014 (p.m. screenings)
Studio: Columbia Pictures (Sony)
Director: George Clooney
Screenwriter: George Clooney, Grant Heslov
Genre: Drama
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for some images of war violence and historical smoking)
Website: MonumentsMenmovie.com | Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Starring: George Clooney, Matt Damon, Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett, Jean Dujardin, Bob Balaban, Hugh Bonneville, John Goodman

Plot Summary: Based on the true story of the greatest treasure hunt in history, "The Monuments Men" is an action-thriller focusing on an unlikely World War II platoon, tasked by FDR with going into Germany to rescue artistic masterpieces from Nazi thieves and returning them to their rightful owners. It would be an impossible mission: with the art trapped behind enemy lines, and with the German army under orders to destroy everything as the Reich fell, how could these guys – seven museum directors, curators, and art historians, all more familiar with Michelangelo than the M-1 – possibly hope to succeed? But as the Monuments Men, as they were called, found themselves in a race against time to avoid the destruction of 1000 years of culture, they would risk their lives to protect and defend mankind's greatest achievements.

You must be registered for see images attach

AZZenny

Reaction score
Enjoyed it, but not a great movie by any stretch. Fell somewhere between lightweight and interesting, and the drama/tension was really thin -- partly due to the casting, I think. It was hard to see John Goodman, Bill Murray, Matt Damon, Bob Balaban, and Clooney together and not think comedy, and the directing never took it any deeper.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
Enjoyed it, but not a great movie by any stretch. Fell somewhere between lightweight and interesting, and the drama/tension was really thin -- partly due to the casting, I think. It was hard to see John Goodman, Bill Murray, Matt Damon, Bob Balaban, and Clooney together and not think comedy, and the directing never took it any deeper.

I agree with your review. It was ok, not great. I don't know if they wanted it to be a serious movie or a semi-comedy. There were parts that they tried to push some comedy in with some campy music but the story wasn't comical. I was just confused on what they tried to accomplish. I love WWII movies and this really did nothing for me

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I liked how it was based on a true story and the history of it, but it was very slow and boring. Not a bad movie, just thought it would be a little more action in it.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Strongly agree. If they had just fleshed out the characters a bit more it would have been much better.

We enjoyed it at home.... glad I didn't pay the money at the theater.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the problem with this movie was it never knew what it wanted to be. fun caper or serious drama. tone was all over the place which made the movie pretty blah for me.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
the problem with this movie was it never knew what it wanted to be. fun caper or serious drama. tone was all over the place which made the movie pretty blah for me.
Exactly. It had plenty of funny scenes, but at times it didn't seem to be a comedy. Maybe if it was directed by the Coen brothers it would have been better.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Easily George Clooney's worst movie. And definitely most disappointing, considering the cast. I barely remember anything about it, and that is a death knell for a movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard