The Market 2022-2023-2024

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IWM (small caps/market leading indicator) are now below a significant support level. About 210. If we close the week below, I think we see a move down to the 200 week MA. About 170. Just some chart insight and opinion.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IWM (small caps/market leading indicator) are now below a significant support level. About 210. If we close the week below, I think we see a move down to the 200 week MA. About 170. Just some chart insight and opinion.

I've long preferred the S&P 600 (IJR) and S&P 400 (IJH) indexes over the Russell 2000 index. I usually have about 20-25% combined exposure to those indexes in my retirement accounts.

I think small or mid value like IJS and IJJ is the place to be right now. Well any cap value is where you want to be so far, but that could change. I like SCHD for large value.

I don't know about any of that support stuff, but 2022 could finally be Value's year. A lot of time on the clock and that has been said multiple times over the last decade's bull run.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've long preferred the S&P 600 (IJR) and S&P 400 (IJH) indexes over the Russel 2000 index. I usually have about 20-25% combined exposure to those indexes in my retirement accounts.

I think small or mid value like IJS and IJJ is the place to be right now. Well any cap value is where you want to be so far, but that could change. I like SCHD for large value.

I have know about any of that support stuff, but 2022 could finally be Value's year. A lot of time on the clock and that has been said multiple times over the last decade's bull run.
IJR is the pure play of small caps for sure. More eye balls on the IWM for the markets though for traders and investors for support and resistance levels. IMO. Ton of institutional money is tied into statistical probability with algos and what not nowadays. So they are important levels to keep eyes on, even if it's just for good entry places on pullbacks for a buy and holder, if someone is long term bullish.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
don't know about any of that support stuff
Green horizontal line is 210. A level that is significant because of reaction and bounce on it going back 12 months. Red candle on the right is the weekly candle that is now below that level. Red trending line below that is the 200 week MA..at around 170.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Green horizontal line is 210. A level that is significant because of reaction and bounce on it going back 12 months. Red candle on the right is the weekly candle that is now below that level. Red trending line below that is the 200 week MA..at around 170.

Oh, I understand the concept, I just think sometimes it's more astrology than astronomy.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

I just need a big rally for the next month. I'm switching jobs so I'm going to be rolling over my 401k. So ideally we see a spike, I start the transfer, then as soon as the money his the money market account in my IRA the market drops for me to buy back in. :cool:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just need a big rally for the next month. I'm switching jobs so I'm going to be rolling over my 401k. So ideally we see a spike, I start the transfer, then as soon as the money his the money market account in my IRA the market drops for me to buy back in. :cool:
That's a rough one. Next month 'could' be more pain. IMO. I think we have alot of air pockets in the market to the downside, so expect a TON of volatility. But either way... Hedging for the typical buy and holder is always key for the long term. A nice Bogle allocation of your age in bonds. :)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
That's a rough one. Next month 'could' be more pain. IMO. I think we have alot of air pockets in the market to the downside, so expect a TON of volatility. But either way... Hedging for the typical buy and holder is always key for the long term. A nice Bogle allocation of your age in bonds. :)
Yeah, it would just be nice for my account if if we can get the big dip that's coming to happen while I'm in cash. Knowing my luck the crash will happen right before the 401k closes and it'll spike right before I can buy back in.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it would just be nice for my account if if we can get the big dip that's coming to happen while I'm in cash. Knowing my luck the crash will happen right before the 401k closes and it'll spike right before I can buy back in.
I sold most of my stocks to cover a home purchase until I sell my current home. Watching these markets wondering what will happen in the meantime until I have my money again.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Buy the dip rally failed today. Market gains were erased.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Buy the dip rally failed today. Market gains were erased.
Selling the rip is now a reality moving forward for a bit.. Huge intraday swings to be expected with climbing volatility (vix) as well. This is honestly what keeps me nervous as hell. The VIX is doing stuff I haven't seen in a while, under the surface. TLT also recaptured a significant level that spells some trouble for risk assets IMO. Dollar stronger. No Bueno.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Headlines are a little click baity at times, like this one. But here's my macro guy from YouTube. He's pretty data dependent, so he's not a bad listen if you're into macroeconomic conditions.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was an ugly end to the day. I went from all of my holding being green and +1-2% to all of them down 1-4%. Today seemed like it was going to be a good day when I woke up. :)

And down already today.

My GF works for Vicor, VICR, her stock was 160 not that long ago, it's at 90 today. They have their own issues the chip backlog is hurting them but the main thing is just the tech plunge.

A correction was needed but 6 days of this in a row I don't want to look at my holdings right now. Long term Russ long term.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
And down already today.

My GF works for Vicor, VICR, her stock was 160 not that long ago, it's at 90 today. They have their own issues the chip backlog is hurting them but the main thing is just the tech plunge.

A correction was needed but 6 days of this in a row I don't want to look at my holdings right now. Long term Russ long term.
marathon. Cant watch it day to day, its my biggest weakness.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Growth is just getting slaughtered. One of my funds -- I won't say who manages it, but their name rhymes with Poorgan Manly -- is down 23% YTD. And it will lose another few percent today, it looks like. Overall, I'm fairly well balanced, but this has still been a brutal week. It has probably been enough to set my retirement back a year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Growth is just getting slaughtered. One of my funds -- I won't say who manages it, but their name rhymes with Poorgan Manly -- is down 23% YTD. And it will lose another few percent today, it looks like. Overall, I'm fairly well balanced, but this has still been a brutal week. It has probably been enough to set my retirement back a year.

Yeah I suspect mine too although I do think we're going to eventually go back up but the Nasdaq in particular has been brutal this week.

I have a spread sheet I fill in every month of all my holdings and track, not looking forward to seeing what Jan 22 looks like in 10 days.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Curious how that Poorgan Manly growth fund stacks up against QQQ over the last 3,5, and 10 years. Do you have a ticker for it?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Curious how that Poorgan Manly growth fund stacks up against QQQ over the last 3,5, and 10 years. Do you have a ticker for it?
MACGX. I bought it through Fidelity, so I dodged the (massive) front-end load.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson