The Market 2022-2023-2024

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I wish I could get a year to date on my 401k. It's only showing me 7 days and all time. My 401k is a bit of a love/hate. I love what funds they offer but hate its reporting. I'd like to have stuff like YTD or other time periods and I'd really like them to break up the numbers between my traditional and roth. They only give a lump sum of both.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could get a year to date on my 401k. It's only showing me 7 days and all time. My 401k is a bit of a love/hate. I love what funds they offer but hate its reporting. I'd like to have stuff like YTD or other time periods and I'd really like them to break up the numbers between my traditional and roth. They only give a lump sum of both.
What platform is your 401K on?

We are switching from Securian to probably Principal soon.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Mine is Principal, btw. I did S&P 500 because my company didn't include very many options to choose from.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

We're using Guideline for it. I like them a lot better than who I had at my previous job. I'm blanking on who it is that Hearst used. Guideline has been nice in that they offer all of the Vanguard funds, do both traditional and roth, etc.

My only real complaint so far is the reporting not being as granular as I'd like. It's probably good enough for most people. I'm a numbers geek though.

Since I know you have a business, we also use Rippling for our HR stuff and I've liked them as a employee. it seems like they give lots of options for employers. Like when we were doing this year's health plans I made an ask for an HSA plan and it was trivial to get it added as an option. Andrew basically just had to check a checkbox and we had access to the plan and they handled the HSA bank accounts.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IDK if it was this forum, but I noted that my 401K which is S&P 500 index stocks, was up over 14% for the year, which is crazy! Now is 15.88% for the year! That's craziness!
It's been a hell of a move indeed. But that is mostly his point (along with mine). It's all been directly in the face of many glaring red flags that have historically been extremely important to not dismiss about the economy and markets. Bull traps work in such ways. For example... Significantly inverted yield curve, fastest and largest rate hike cycle from the Fed, historically low unemployment and horribly waning consumer sentiment. I'm a chart guy 100 percent, but that's the beauty. I can actively keep an eye on all these since the 80s and they've all preceded large drawdowns in the market.

Bulls need to be extremely careful here IMO. (Yes, I've been saying it for years now...but major topping formations like this take time)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's been a hell of a move indeed. But that is mostly his point (along with mine). It's all been directly in the face of many glaring red flags that have historically been extremely important to not dismiss about the economy and markets. Bull traps work in such ways. For example... Significantly inverted yield curve, fastest and largest rate hike cycle from the Fed, historically low unemployment and horribly waning consumer sentiment. I'm a chart guy 100 percent, but that's the beauty. I can actively keep an eye on all these since the 80s and they've all preceded large drawdowns in the market.

Bulls need to be extremely careful here IMO. (Yes, I've been saying it for years now...but major topping formations like this take time)
Plus, I like to trade for value. It is arguable that S&P 500 is over valued at this point.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

This isn't a major topping formation.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just food for thought.

This would be the first "new" bull market advance with a fully inverted yield curve after a rate hike cycle and extremely low unemployment in about 30 years.

We'll have to see if this time is different.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Just food for thought.

This would be the first "new" bull market advance with a fully inverted yield curve after a rate hike cycle and extremely low unemployment in about 30 years.

and VIX is under 14. I have trouble seeing how things continue this way without some corrections.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Aren't there always corrections?
There's ALWAYS corrections! Reading up on reading charts, and it seems easy, HA HA. They make it look like, here's how to read, make these puts or shorts, make money. I know it has to be harder than that. Wondering if AI like ChatGPT could make what you are looking for in trades easier to find on a daily basis for trading?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
and VIX is under 14. I have trouble seeing how things continue this way without some corrections.
It's also completely deviated from its longer term moving averages.. meaning the flow of this VIX crush has been counter trend and has not been consistent with it's longer term upward momentum. A simple reversion to the mean would move the VIX back to 23ish...and at that point would be a big IF we even stop there.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's ALWAYS corrections! Reading up on reading charts, and it seems easy, HA HA. They make it look like, here's how to read, make these puts or shorts, make money. I know it has to be harder than that. Wondering if AI like ChatGPT could make what you are looking for in trades easier to find on a daily basis for trading?
Markets are hard. For even the best investors and traders.

Unless your Nancy Pelosi of course..

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Aren't there always corrections?
Yes, but what I mean is that all the signs are that we're way over due for one. They're needed as part of a healthy market. The longer we go without one happening, the bigger it's going to be too.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yes, but what I mean is that all the signs are that we're way over due for one.

The S&P fell 16% in less than a month, less than a year ago. Another dip may well be coming soon, but I don't see how we can be considered overdue for one.

They're needed as part of a healthy market.

Because, the longer the market goes without a big dip, the more we can be sure that there will eventually be a big dip? The market goes up and down. The notion that certain patterns are "healthier" than others is superstition.

I'd rather see it go up another 5%, then fall 13%, than see it fall 10% immediately.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Markets are hard. For even the best investors and traders.

Unless your Nancy Pelosi of course..
You don't remember the "wonder" trade made by Hillary. She entered a trade perfectly and exited perfectly and made a ton of cash. Everyone kept accusing her of inside knowledge.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The S&P fell 16% in less than a month, less than a year ago. Another dip may well be coming soon, but I don't see how we can be considered overdue for one.

Because, the longer the market goes without a big dip, the more we can be sure that there will eventually be a big dip? The market goes up and down. The notion that certain patterns are "healthier" than others is superstition.

I'd rather see it go up another 5%, then fall 13%, than see it fall 10% immediately.
I have said this for years, but the technical trading book I am reading just says it right from the start, some of these trading patterns are self fulfilling since it's people who react to the charts, and respond in predetermined ways. YES! The charts themselves don't make a stock go up and down, it's the humans buying and selling and how they respond to the charts!

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just food for thought.

This is not a "new" bull market.

We are in the same secular bull market that began after the GFC. We have only deviated from this secular bull channel one time and it was cause by a black swan event (covid). We very quickly returned to the channel. We will likely stay in this channel until 2030 or so, when a major event will take place (China invasion of Taiwan?) and we will enter into a secular bear period.

Chart for visual reference.

Attachments

• image-19.png
    image-19.png
    388.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Looking at the last candles on that chart, and there's some incredible buy power keeping the trend going even though you can see some of the candle wicks are longer on the downside.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is not a "new" bull market.

We are in the same secular bull market that began after the GFC. We have only deviated from this secular bull channel one time and it was cause by a black swan event (covid). We very quickly returned to the channel. We will likely stay in this channel until 2030 or so, when a major event will take place (China invasion of Taiwan?) and we will enter into a secular bear period.

Chart for visual reference.
That continuation very well could be possible.

But, that would be a "it's different this time" moment with major economic indicators that show an economic/market downturn is approaching.

You must be registered for see images attach

A little sloppy. But, the blue ovals I have shown where we are now and what past inversions have indicated. Orange line above is SP500.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That continuation very well could be possible.

But, that would be a "it's different this time" moment with major economic indicators that show an economic/market downturn is approaching.

You must be registered for see images attach

A little sloppy. But, the blue ovals I have shown where we are now and what past inversions have indicated. Orange line above is SP500.

Your assumption is that we can't have a recession AND remain in the secular bull channel? THAT would be an "it's different this time" scenario. Secular bull periods feature recessions frequently. It's when something actually goes parabolic at the end of a secular bull (dot com mania after the run from 80's to 2000) or BREAKS (global financial crisis) that we transition to a secular bear. We are not anywhere near that point, in my opinion.

The most likely outcome, at this time, is that the market goes somewhere around 5,000 - then we get the (most anticipated of all time) recession, the market trades back down to 4,000 ‐ 4,200 then the next expansion takes us to the high 6,000's, and we continue on our merry way until the 2030's crisis hits.

Here is a chart of the secular periods beginning in the 70's. The secular bull from 74 to 2000 was 26 years. We are 12 or 13 years into the current one.

Attachments

• image-23.png
    image-23.png
    374.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your assumption is that we can't have a recession AND remain in the secular bull channel? THAT would be an "it's different this time" scenario. Secular bull periods feature recessions frequently. It's when something actually goes parabolic at the end of a secular bull (dot com mania after the run from 80's to 2000) or BREAKS (global financial crisis) that we transition to a secular bear. We are not anywhere near that point, in my opinion.

The most likely outcome, at this time, is that the market goes somewhere around 5,000 - then we get the (most anticipated of all time) recession, the market trades back down to 4,000 ‐ 4,200 then the next expansion takes us to the high 6,000's, and we continue on our merry way until the 2030's crisis hits.
Well, that's a lot of assumptions as well. Those economic indicators have actual historical relevance with recessions AND 35 percent drawdowns or more each occurrence. But, to be fair, it could be different this time and we remain in a secular bull market. The reality is we have zero idea what will come tomorrow or in 10 years. My money isn't betting on that bullish scenario though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard