The Least Dominant

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In NBA history, there have been four number 1 seeds that have lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Those were the 1994 Supersonics beaten by the Nuggets, the 1999 Heat beaten by the Knicks, the 2007 Mavericks beaten by the Warriors, and the 2011 Spurs beaten by the Grizzlies.

Are the Suns the least dominant number 1 seed to make it to the second round?

Edit: I did a poor job of expressing the point I was trying to make with my original post. See below for clarity:

I believe we had the best win differential of a regular season team in the last 20 years. These playoffs havent felt like the most dominant team of the last two decades. The least dominant "dominant" team if you will.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In NBA history, there have been four number 1 seeds that have lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Those were the 1994 Supersonics beaten by the Nuggets, the 1999 Heat beaten by the Knicks, the 2007 Mavericks beaten by the Warriors, and the 2011 Spurs beaten by the Grizzlies.

Not sure what this means. The Suns got out of the 1st round 4-2. I am not sure what all the records of are all of the #1 seeds in the past 30 years but I would imagine there have been multiple times a #1 see went 4-2 in Round 1. If you are talking about how #1 seeds performed in the second round that is a different question. You said "make it to the second round".

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Dubs rarely win low score games.. this is pathetic.

Dubs always fare worse when opposing team down key player. So lame.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The defense is over playing all game why aren’t they cutting & getting back doors?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What a myopic viewpoint. Not only do 1 seeds face these types of tests frequently this isn't even the most struggled SUNS team with a 1 seed.

The 1993 Suns almost got eliminated in the first round, forced to win THREE elimination games, then played the Spurs in round 2, the series went 6 games with the Suns getting blown out in games 3 and 4 in San Antonio... we rallied to win game 5 at home and then won game 6, on the road, at the buzzer.

We're going to crush the Mavs tomorrow, I can feel it in my plums.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I remember the 2007 mavericks, I think they won 67 games that year and that was after they started 1-4 at the beginning of the year. IIRC they split with the Suns that year and won 3/4 over the Spurs. That was one of Dirk's 50-40-90 years (maybe his only one can't remember) but he won the mvp and had to accept it after the GS loss. he put a hole in the lockeroom wall in Oracle and apparently they never repaired it as a keep sake. that was a terrible matchup for dallas, Don Nelson got his revenge on Cuban. I'd say that was the biggest choke job from a 1 seed. I remember watching GS just kill the mavs at the 3 point line. I don't even know how this relates to the Suns though, they are in the second round and I still think they will win in 6 games, we just tend to focus on the last game.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I remember the 2007 mavericks, I think they won 67 games that year and that was after they started 1-4 at the beginning of the year. IIRC they split with the Suns that year and won 3/4 over the Spurs. That was one of Dirk's 50-40-90 years (maybe his only one can't remember) but he won the mvp and had to accept it after the GS loss. he put a hole in the lockeroom wall in Oracle and apparently they never repaired it as a keep sake. that was a terrible matchup for dallas, Don Nelson got his revenge on Cuban. I'd say that was the biggest choke job from a 1 seed. I remember watching GS just kill the mavs at the 3 point line. I don't even know how this relates to the Suns though, they are in the second round and I still think they will win in 6 games, we just tend to focus on the last game.
The Warriors and Lakers had the same record that year and LA had the tiebreaker for the 7-seed. The Suns lucked out and got the Kobe-Kwame-Smush Lakers. Still don’t know how that Mavs team won 67 games.

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What a myopic viewpoint. Not only do 1 seeds face these types of tests frequently this isn't even the most struggled SUNS team with a 1 seed.

The 1993 Suns almost got eliminated in the first round, forced to win THREE elimination games, then played the Spurs in round 2, the series went 6 games with the Suns getting blown out in games 3 and 4 in San Antonio... we rallied to win game 5 at home and then won game 6, on the road, at the buzzer.

We're going to crush the Mavs tomorrow, I can feel it in my plums.
That's true. I've just been in my feels. I believe we had the best win differential of a regular season team in the last 20 years. These playoffs havent felt like the most dominant team of the last two decades. The least dominant "dominant" team if you will. I couldve done a better job expressing that.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's true. I've just been in my feels. I believe we had the best win differential of a regular season team in the last 20 years. These playoffs havent felt like the most dominant team of the last two decades. The least dominant "dominant" team if you will. I couldve done a better job expressing that.
How’d tonight look for you? Better? More dominate?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How’d tonight look for you? Better? More dominate?
Lets get there first.... But yeah, this team had a feel tonight. Nothing like last year...maybe won't be. But dominance they will have to prove with toughness. I think that's the remaining ingredient.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lets get there first.... But yeah, this team had a feel tonight. Nothing like last year...maybe won't be. But dominance they will have to prove with toughness. I think that's the remaining ingredient.
We blew out a hit scoring team and held them to 80, all the while CP3 just basically had an assist game. Other guys stepped up which we have all been asking for. Monty finally sat Payne and made some adjustments which worked beautifully. Dallas played well over their head in game 4 and that was still a game until they screwed us. We play good and it’s a blowout, they play good and need help from refs and insane 3 or shooting, and we were still right there in 3 and 4 arguably could have stole one of those games, with a break we just got zero things go our way over the weekend. I think this team woke up tonight. And I liked Monty sitting DA early you could tell he was pissed and was making a point!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The Warriors and Lakers had the same record that year and LA had the tiebreaker for the 7-seed. The Suns lucked out and got the Kobe-Kwame-Smush Lakers. Still don’t know how that Mavs team won 67 games.
that mavs team was really good, not much different from the team the year before that made the finals. they just drew a nightmare matchup vs. GS in round 1. They struggled vs. GS in the reg season that year as well. there was a game where Dirk scored 50 against them and dallas still lost. I think if Dallas played SA in the playoffs that year they would have beaten them. Not so sure about Phoenix.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
that mavs team was really good, not much different from the team the year before that made the finals. they just drew a nightmare matchup vs. GS in round 1. They struggled vs. GS in the reg season that year as well. there was a game where Dirk scored 50 against them and dallas still lost. I think if Dallas played SA in the playoffs that year they would have beaten them. Not so sure about Phoenix.
Horry would've hip-checked Jason Terry and gotten Dirk suspended.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Horry would've hip-checked Jason Terry and gotten Dirk suspended.
Maybe terry yes, but I doubt dirk would of been baited into a suspension. He’s the ultimate silent assassin if there ever was one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr