The Last Blockbuster (documentary)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would only rarely find new authors if not for bookstores. I get random recommendations from friends from time to time but I love finding an intriguing book cover/title, reading the blurb and taking a chance on an author and falling in love with their writing.

I miss what you're talking about more than anything else about switching to Kindle. When Kindle first came out, the reader reviews were a great substitute for this but you just can't trust them now thanks to greed and idiots. So one of the huge downsides of Kindle for me is that I end up gambling on a lot more books than I did before e-books. I think I probably finished 99 out of 100 books that I bought at a bookstore, now I maybe finish 60 of them. If I were going to try and talk someone into staying with physical books, this would be the selling point for me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love it or hate it, you can still do that digitally and more. You can see actual highlights to go with the box scores.

I personally have both. I love my ipad for reading, it's just more convenient. Like you, I don't have the space for all the physical books I have in boxes in my garage.

I know you can but it's just not the same for me. I still use digital boxscores for the teams I follow but I used to go through every boxscore, every major sport, every day. The digital experience on this just doesn't feel the same to me.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think there's a place for both but if you're a heavy fiction reader, there is no contest IMO. If you just read a book or two a month from the bestseller list, I'd say stick with the physical copy if that's your preference. I buy at least a dozen books a month and have for many decades. I'd have had to buy a much larger house if I hadn't switched.

Also, when you read as much as I do, eye strain becomes a real issue and Kindle's screen reduces that strain. Plus, I wouldn't say my eyesight is failing, but it's not what it use to be. The ability to choose font and font size is a real blessing as I age.

And then there's going "green"...

Eye strain is no different for me between physical books and reading on my iPhone.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eye strain is no different for me between physical books and reading on my iPhone.

Really? I would have thought it would have been much worse on an iphone. I only read on a kindle, it's the best on the eyes IMO. My ipad is second best but it's quite a drop from kindle.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? I would have thought it would have been much worse on an iphone. The last time I tried reading on an iphone I found it to be quite similar to trying to read on my imac - fine for an hour or so but I'd get very tired eyes if I read longer than that. Now, I mostly only read on a kindle, it's the best on the eyes IMO. My ipad is second best but it's quite a drop from kindle.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Visited The Last Blockbuster in Bend, OR today. It was like stepping into a time machine and being transported back to the heyday of renting VHS, DVDs, and games. Had to be a tourist and grab several photos and nostalgic souvenirs. Grabbed 4 DVDs and a Blu-ray for $10 (5 for $10).