The "Jordan Rules" are in Effect!

Reaction score
In 1989-1990, the Detroit Pistons annually faced the Chicago Bulls with Michael Jordan as their usual finals opponent. After losing to him on several occasions, Coach Bill Daley came up with what he called the "Jordan Rules:" Jordan was to be hit, or placed in physical contact, every single time he touched the ball.

Daley figured with Bill Lambeer, Rick Mahorn, Dennis Rodman, John Salley, plus the tenacious Joe Dumars, he had plenty of fouls to give and should use every single one. The Bulls were known as less a "thug" team and more finesse. The Jordan Rules worked to perfection. With only Scottie Pippen to help with the slack, Jordan was physically beat up in each series. The following year, I think 1991-2, Jordan came back bigger and stronger, and demanded his teammates do the same. They weren't ever again affected by the Jordan Rules.

The San Antonio Spurs used the same behavior against the Nash-Stoudamire Suns, wearing down Nash and getting Soudamire/Diaw ejected in a key game thanks to an illegal hip check. Not surprisingly, the only time in our playoff history we beat the Spurs for a championship was with Charles Barkley, who himself knew a little about the "Jordan Rules." And it wasn't Jordan who beat us in the final game, but Steve Kerr, left wide open for a 3-point shot.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
The 80's and 90's were not for the faint of heart. I can't believe they used so much violence back then

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those were not the good old days but back then the NBA had enforcers on the team.

Players could at least retaliate against cheap shot artists.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Those were not the good old days but back then the NBA had enforcers on the team.

Players could at least retaliate against cheap shot artists.
The clippers are a physical team. they play hard at both ends of the court. They have a deep bench and their coach is slightly underrated for what he is getting out of this team in these playoffs. The suns will have to beat them at their own game, rather than complaining about it. I still expect a lot from the suns, especially if KL is not in this series. I just don't know how the Clippers can get over that loss, although they are still very good and the Suns have to earn every victory. I don't think this is 1989 era of basketball, the flagrant fouls now are really strict, especially with the review system. So I look at the Jordan rules more as a good laugh. In the Dallas series I thought the mavericks did a great job of punishing the Clippers at their own game. Doncic abused Beverly and the other role players every chance that he got and he let them know about it up and down the court, which I loved because the year prior they were verbally abusive of Doncic and he was too passive. In fact Beverly lost his confidence in the Dallas series and didn't even factor in that series. I think the Suns need to be doing that every chance they get. Go after the Clippers role players with everything you have and try to put all the pressure on PG. he could fold under that type of pressure without KL.

Last edited:

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The clippers are a physical team. they play hard at both ends of the court. They have a deep bench and their coach is slightly underrated for what he is getting out of this team in these playoffs. The suns will have to beat them at their own game, rather than complaining about it. I still expect a lot from the suns, especially if KL is not in this series. I just don't know how the Clippers can get over that loss, although they are still very good and the Suns have to earn every victory. I don't think this is 1989 era of basketball, the flagrant fouls now are really strict, especially with the review system. So I look at the Jordan rules more as a good laugh. In the Dallas series I thought the mavericks did a great job of punishing the Clippers at their own game. Doncic abused Beverly and the other role players every chance that he got and he let them know about it up and down the court, which I loved because the year prior they were verbally abusive of Doncic and he was too passive. In fact Beverly lost his confidence in the Dallas series and didn't even factor in that series. I think the Suns need to be doing that every chance they get. Go after the Clippers role players with everything you have and try to put all the pressure on PG. he could fold under that type of pressure without KL.

I agree the guy you don't directly retaliate against is George. Let him choke games away on his own. I did like the hard fouls on him going to the Hoop though...that was fine.

I would retaliate against Reggie Jackson. He is their spark plug. I'd put in Carter , and tell him to take him out. Or at least Jordan Rule him every time he gets the ball.

What is making me as mad as Beverley and his goon play....is that he is taunting and yelling at the refs after every single play. Let Carter mug Jackson for a few min, and watch Beverley do something to get ejected.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would have to disagree with this. Time and again for the past several weeks I've heard ex-players, ex-coaches, announcers and other "experts" discuss him in terms previously reserved for coaches such as Pop and Phil. It was news to me too, I had no idea he was so highly regarded for his coaching skills.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would have to disagree with this. Time and again for the past several weeks I've heard ex-players, ex-coaches, announcers and other "experts" discuss him in terms previously reserved for coaches such as Pop and Phil. It was news to me too, I had no idea he was so highly regarded for his coaching skills.
I hadn’t known that either. But watching the changes he’s made through three series, to lineups, to defensive tweaks, to in game adjustments, to the way he just smirked at zubac who was pleading for a challenge last night, i think he’s special. I’ve been thoroughly impressed.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
now yes he's getting praise and no way is he in the same realm as those two. back just a few weeks ago when they were down 0-2 to Dallas he was being trashed for his comments of not being concerned being down 0-2. He made adjustments and really did well getting a lot out of his role players. that's the angle I am coming from...and now to see how well they are playing without KL is surprising.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
now yes he's getting praise and no way is he in the same realm as those two. back just a few weeks ago when they were down 0-2 to Dallas he was being trashed for his comments of not being concerned being down 0-2. He made adjustments and really did well getting a lot out of his role players. that's the angle I am coming from...and now to see how well they are playing without KL is surprising.

Pg being the number one guy versus Leonard is helping out big time.

same with Reggie over Beverly.

I would say Pg and Reggie perform better as a 1-2 then Leonard and Pg.

Then it was KL and PG they had RJ as the 6th man and Beverly a starter. Just wasn’t jellin

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose