Good:
~Run game. Emmitt looked great. Better than I could have hoped for
~Special Teams
~Big play D
~Mistake-free offense

Bad:
~The defense was very soft
~Lack of big plays when it counted on offense

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the game!

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Clement gave up what 2 sacks? ugh. Its looks like he has lead chains tied on his foot the whole time!!!

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about having a kicker that actually puts it in the endzone for a touchback?

Haven't seen that in a long time.
The D-line was dissapointing. I was expecting to see more out of Dockett and Berry.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
The good thing out of this game is at least the coaching staff adjusted their game plan against the Lambs.

Reaction score
jw7 said:

The D-line was dissapointing. I was expecting to see more out of Dockett and Berry.

Cardinals kicked-off 3 times, the final one was a touchback.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't see it so my concerns are off radio.

Rams OL is in a tough state right now, would have hoped to stuff the run game and get more heat on Bulger. Only time Pasch said Berry's name was in praising Dockett he said "if he plays this well, he'll draw doubles and allow Berry to make plays." With their OL problems we should have disrupted Bulger more.

The run game is encouraging but remember, the Rams have a lot of secondary issues, my guess would be they had their safeties in coverage? Pasch mentioned 8 in the box only a few times and usually in blitz situations, sounds like we ran against their blitz. New England will be tougher there.

Josh, Pasch and mistler repeatedly praises his poise in the pocket, and his footwork, but also said several times he's not looking downfield enough and missing open players as a result. The one really good long play was a trick one, so that would tend to support what they said. Hopefully that will get better, given our WR injuries probably not all on josh.

encouraged, I think New England is a more complete team than the Rams but I'm encouraged that this team is FAR better coached than under Mac.

Urubu Rei

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the considerations.

Rackers deserves to be mentioned more. He's dependable.

What bothered me most was the fact that we couldn't move the ball against a very suspect secondary.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The part of the game that drove me the most crazy was throwing for 6-7 yards on 3rd and 10..... I counted atleast 4 or 5 times doing that.

Atleast throw it at the sticks to give your receiver a fighting chance

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Rams OL is in a tough state right now, would have hoped to stuff the run game and get more heat on Bulger. Only time Pasch said Berry's name was in praising Dockett he said "if he plays this well, he'll draw doubles and allow Berry to make plays." With their OL problems we should have disrupted Bulger more.

The run game is encouraging but remember, the Rams have a lot of secondary issues, my guess would be they had their safeties in coverage? Pasch mentioned 8 in the box only a few times and usually in blitz situations, sounds like we ran against their blitz. New England will be tougher there.

Josh, Pasch and mistler repeatedly praises his poise in the pocket, and his footwork, but also said several times he's not looking downfield enough and missing open players as a result. The one really good long play was a trick one, so that would tend to support what they said. Hopefully that will get better, given our WR injuries probably not all on josh.

encouraged, I think New England is a more complete team than the Rams but I'm encouraged that this team is FAR better coached than under Mac.

Russ, somewhat in the defense of the defense, we hardly blitzed at all today. It was always just the 4 upfront guys trying to put pressure on the QB. They only succeeded a few times. The couple of times we did blitz, the St. Louis O line picked it up with no problem. Regardless of the problems the Rams might have, their O line looks pretty solid.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
The part of the game that drove me the most crazy was throwing for 6-7 yards on 3rd and 10..... I counted atleast 4 or 5 times doing that.

Atleast throw it at the sticks to give your receiver a fighting chance

Pasch and Mistler mentioned it but Mistler on one play really lit into BJ saying it was a rookie mistake for him to run the route so short.

I expect with our WR's healthy and sharp we can throw the ball better, but given New England led the NFL in picks last year, I would hope we run the ball against them too, if Josh is forced to throw against them , he could have a much worse day.

I'm encouraged, I don't think we can judge this offense until a few weeks go by and our WR's hopefully get healthier and then if Josh still isn't making big plays downfield, we can ask why.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
jw7 said:

Actually, we did have a touchback today.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The good:
Larry Fitzgerald showed he has the makings of a superstar.
Emmitt...I would have never thunk it.
Josh...showed poise without the time a qb needs. Did not turn it over. In fact on the 1 int that was nullified by penalty,had he put air under that ball and threw it to the back of the endzone it might have been a td. Fitz was ahead of his man heading for the corner. That might have been his biggest mistake of the game.
defense... considering we were playing one of the best offenses in the league( by no means am I saying our defense was adequate) I was very encouraged by our ball hawking, our pursuit and hustle. Add to the fact a td call back on a ticky-tack call and at least 3 other balls that could have been ints. I would describe our defense as opportunistic. Encouraging considering we have not been that way in a long time.
Niel Rackers.
Special teams.

The bad.
This will be short and sweet.
D-Line. Stopping the run. Pressuring the qb. If we cant do both then we have got to get good at one of them.
O-line. Got to give Josh more time or we will never be able to go downfield.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
jw7 said:

Same here. I thought Berry would have a better game against the 9 MIL Man O. Pace with him having 1 week of practice and all. Dockett didn't show much either in that game. overall the D- line got handled pretty good.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
The good:
Larry Fitzgerald showed he has the makings of a superstar.
Emmitt...I would have never thunk it.
Josh...showed poise without the time a qb needs. Did not turn it over. In fact on the 1 int that was nullified by penalty,had he put air under that ball and threw it to the back of the endzone it might have been a td. Fitz was ahead of his man heading for the corner. That might have been his biggest mistake of the game.
defense... considering we were playing one of the best offenses in the league( by no means am I saying our defense was adequate) I was very encouraged by our ball hawking, our pursuit and hustle. Add to the fact a td call back on a ticky-tack call and at least 3 other balls that could have been ints. I would describe our defense as opportunistic. Encouraging considering we have not been that way in a long time.
Niel Rackers.
Special teams.

The bad.
D-Line. Stopping the run. Pressuring the qb. If we cant do both then we have got to get good at one of them.

Bingo -- Right On! :thumbup:

Brevity

Tryin' to get my lap back
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
The bad.

This is the root of all evil for the Cards. Until we can control at least one side of the line of scrimmage, we will continue to lose.

Todays game was not as close as the score indicates. The turnovers kept the score close.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Actually they wanted Josh to be them. Archeletta was in the box-or creeping up blitzing, almost the entire game. They dared Josh to beat them playing 8 in the box and man coverage most of the day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen