The future of the Phoenix Suns

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Scary thought. But with a 6 year playoff drought working, an impatient owner might send us in that direction. I really hope that's not the case. All of us are tired tired of missing the playoffs. But I'd rather sit out another year or even two if that's what it takes to build a team that at least has the potential of becoming a championship contender.

Yep. Making the playoffs is of little consequence to most of us - building a contender should be the goal. Overpaying mediocre talent will only continue putting us in the same place, fighting for one of the last playoff seeds with little flexibility.

Do it the right way this time and build around Bledsoe/Booker/Warren/Len/draft picks.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Do it the right way this time and build around Bledsoe/Booker/Warren/Len/draft picks.

That should be the starting point but I feel Booker and Len are the only untouchables. Give Warren another season. Not convinced Bledsoe is the pg on a league leading team. He should at least start playing defence again.

Hoping to see a lot of those four on the floor at the same time next year if nothing major happens with the roster.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It will be telling to see what the team does in Free Agency. If they swing for the fences, again to bring in a potential franchise player, like Aldridge or Lebron in the past, then we should be a playoff team at the very least. That's barring any major injury, of course. If they play it safe and sign a couple of cheaper role players to challenge some of the veterans for their spots then we could squeeze into the playoffs while building chemistry and consistency for the future. Similar to the 2013-14 season. Unless they unload Bledsoe, Knight, and Chandler for future picks, young players, or moving up in the draft I can't see them bottoming out this next season.

Just trading Knight & Chandler won't move the needle much either way this next season but it will probably help build the team long term. It won't make us that much worse or better in the immediate future. Getting rid of Bledsoe with those 2 or Bledsoe inside of Knight should cost McD his job. Bledsoe isn't a franchise player but even with his injury history he's better than Knight is. He'll probably fit better next to Booker and he's a better PG than Knight. Booker makes Knight expendable as he's just a combo guard who is a poor PG but refuses to acknowledge he's an awful PG.

I think Bledsoe, Booker, Warren, and Len could possibly compete for the 8th seed. I can't see them repeating the disaster that was this season. Without adding a significant All Star level player in return for Knight and/or Chandler that is the best they can hope for, middle of the pack finish. I think retaining those 2 they're looking at the same thing so getting what they can for them is better than retaining them when they don't fit any significant role in the future.

They need to do what they can to move up in the draft. Depending on who gets #1 or #2 I think an offer of our 1st plus Chandler and/or Knight is much more attractive than a deal for all 3 of the Suns 1st rounders in this draft. I'd be willing to trade a combination of our 3 first round picks, Knight, and Chandler to move up to get Ingram or Simmons. I don't think I'd trade all of them though unless other pieces were included. 3 of the 5 though for sure, 4 of the 5 if we got to keep the Suns own pick, adding 2 top 5 picks in this draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need to do what they can to move up in the draft. Depending on who gets #1 or #2 I think an offer of our 1st plus Chandler and/or Knight is much more attractive than a deal for all 3 of the Suns 1st rounders in this draft. I'd be willing to trade a combination of our 3 first round picks, Knight, and Chandler to move up to get Ingram or Simmons. I don't think I'd trade all of them though unless other pieces were included. 3 of the 5 though for sure, 4 of the 5 if we got to keep the Suns own pick, adding 2 top 5 picks in this draft.

IMO they need to do anything but move up in this draft. I'd trade our first pick for 2 future picks and live with what happens. I don't like any of the top players in this class. Somebody in the top 5 will probably succeed but I think it's too much of a roll of the dice trying to determine which prospect that will be.

There are some big guys that won't go in the top spots that interest me but we can grab one of them with the Washington pick. And we can probably land a decent backup point guard with our Cleveland pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
IMO they need to do anything but move up in this draft. I'd trade our first pick for 2 future picks and live with what happens. I don't like any of the top players in this class. Somebody in the top 5 will probably succeed but I think it's too much of a roll of the dice trying to determine which prospect that will be.

There are some big guys that won't go in the top spots that interest me but we can grab one of them with the Washington pick. And we can probably land a decent backup point guard with our Cleveland pick.

This may be one of the reasons why the Suns are not focused where they draft with their 1st pick.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Trading picks for future picks has never worked out well for Phoenix. If they trade their pick and it's not #1 or #2 for Ingram or Simmons then I'd think they'd do better trading it for either a young player with upside or packaging it with Knight, Chandler, and/or Tucker for an all-star caliber player. Including the pick with those players might be able to fetch an All-Star. Those players or the pick alone wouldn't.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trading picks for future picks has never worked out well for Phoenix. If they trade their pick and it's not #1 or #2 for Ingram or Simmons then I'd think they'd do better trading it for either a young player with upside or packaging it with Knight, Chandler, and/or Tucker for an all-star caliber player. Including the pick with those players might be able to fetch an All-Star. Those players or the pick alone wouldn't.

We don't really trade picks for future picks often enough to say it doesn't work. And remember, when we did it before we were trying very hard not to build through the draft so the scenario is considerably different today. But I'm not really in search of future picks, I'm just not that interested in the top candidates this season. If someone offers us the 10th pick in this draft and a future pick or young player that would be fine too.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don't need future picks, we have plenty of those, we don't even really need more young players unless they're bigs with lots of potential. We don't need young wings, that's for certain. Maybe a young PG, PF, or C. I don't think we need all 3 to be rookies or on rookie contracts. Maybe 2 of the 3 while adding a veteran at the other spot. We do need better picks plus better players. As is we'll have 3 picks in the 1st round plus a really high 2nd rounder. That's in addition to Bogdan finally coming over. Draft and stash with the 2nd rounder and one of the other first rounders. Get a pass first PG with the Washington or Cleveland pick, whichever isn't used on an international player, to be the primary backup to Bledsoe. Maybe keep Price as a 3rd string veteran and push the rookie for the backup spot.

Teletovic, Leuer, and Budinger are all free agents this offseason. Budinger isn't worth bringing back at any significant price. Teletovic would most likely get the MLE from someone for 1 or 2 seasons, which is too much for the Suns to pay. I'd like to see Leuer return as he's been a solid addition this season. Depending on his asking price, ultimately, but I think he should be cheaper than Teletovic plus he's more likely to sign a longer deal. He's proven to be a solid rotation player and he's still young, can play the 4 or 5, rebounds well, almost always hustles, and can spread the floor with his shooting. He's a solid backup. I read there is a team option on Jenkins for the next 2 seasons, 1 million for next year and 1.1 for the following season. At that price he's worth retaining but if he's a FA I don't see the point in keeping him around with Booker, Goodwin, and Knight all playing SG ahead of him. He might be better than Archie but the Suns have too much time invested in him now to give up on another young SG who is a year or two away himself. Tucker's contract is partially guaranteed, 5.3 total but only 1.5 million guaranteed. That makes him easily tradeable during the draft if the Suns are just looking to move up a couple of picks with the Wizards or Cavs picks.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don't need future picks, we have plenty of those, we don't even really need more young players unless they're bigs with lots of potential. We don't need young wings, that's for certain. Maybe a young PG, PF, or C. I don't think we need all 3 to be rookies or on rookie contracts. Maybe 2 of the 3 while adding a veteran at the other spot. We do need better picks plus better players. As is we'll have 3 picks in the 1st round plus a really high 2nd rounder. That's in addition to Bogdan finally coming over. Draft and stash with the 2nd rounder and one of the other first rounders. Get a pass first PG with the Washington or Cleveland pick, whichever isn't used on an international player, to be the primary backup to Bledsoe. Maybe keep Price as a 3rd string veteran and push the rookie for the backup spot.

Teletovic, Leuer, and Budinger are all free agents this offseason. Budinger isn't worth bringing back at any significant price. Teletovic would most likely get the MLE from someone for 1 or 2 seasons, which is too much for the Suns to pay. I'd like to see Leuer return as he's been a solid addition this season. Depending on his asking price, ultimately, but I think he should be cheaper than Teletovic plus he's more likely to sign a longer deal. He's proven to be a solid rotation player and he's still young, can play the 4 or 5, rebounds well, almost always hustles, and can spread the floor with his shooting. He's a solid backup. I read there is a team option on Jenkins for the next 2 seasons, 1 million for next year and 1.1 for the following season. At that price he's worth retaining but if he's a FA I don't see the point in keeping him around with Booker, Goodwin, and Knight all playing SG ahead of him. He might be better than Archie but the Suns have too much time invested in him now to give up on another young SG who is a year or two away himself. Tucker's contract is partially guaranteed, 5.3 total but only 1.5 million guaranteed. That makes him easily tradeable during the draft if the Suns are just looking to move up a couple of picks with the Wizards or Cavs picks.

We need a star player, wherever that may be. No position is beyond consideration including the SG position. Booker looks legit, but his shooting percentage is slipping. Again no position is beyond consideration.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Simmons and Ingram are by far the best fits for the Suns, we should absolutely trade up if it does not cost the world.

None of the options from 3-10 look better than what we could get at #12 (Rabb, Luwawu, Sabonis, Davis)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmons and Ingram are by far the best fits for the Suns, we should absolutely trade up if it does not cost the world.

None of the options from 3-10 look better than what we could get at #12 (Rabb, Luwawu, Sabonis, Davis)

which is why no one is going to trade down from the first two picks.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
which is why no one is going to trade down from the first two picks.

Uh no it is not...

Some teams might prefer players and future picks.

Also have other needs than the Suns.

Hield, Dunn, Murray simply do not really fit with what we have in the backcourt already. And Bender is probably too much of a long term project when we already have Len.
On the other hand Hield, Murray for example are great fits for a team like the Twolves or even Sixers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh no it is not...

Some teams might prefer players and future picks.

Also have other needs than the Suns.

Hield, Dunn, Murray simply do not really fit with what we have in the backcourt already. And Bender is probably too much of a long term project when we already have Len.

no. In a two player draft, no one is going trade out of those first two picks. That's like saying the T-Wolves would have taken Barbosa, KT and the Hawks pick for KG. Nothing but wishful thinking.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
no. In a two player draft, no one is going trade out of those first two picks. That's like saying the T-Wolves would have taken Barbosa, KT and the Hawks pick for KG. Nothing but wishful thinking.

That's true in a year where it's a 2 player draft and strong at the top but not necessarily so in a year when the 2 best appear to be there by default.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true in a year where it's a 2 player draft and strong at the top but not necessarily so in a year when the 2 best appear to be there by default.

again, I think this is wishful thinking. People are still salivating over Simmons, although not at the ridiculous LeBron-level-pitch they were months ago and Ingram is so heads and shoulders above the others, it's not even close.

I feel like we are just seeing MASSIVE amounts of rationalization about the value of these guys and conversely the cache of Suns picks which have never been good enough to move up in the draft simply because the Suns are playing their way out of the only difference makers in the draft.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
again, I think this is wishful thinking. People are still salivating over Simmons, although not at the ridiculous LeBron-level-pitch they were months ago and Ingram is so heads and shoulders above the others, it's not even close.

I feel like we are just seeing MASSIVE amounts of rationalization about the value of these guys and conversely the cache of Suns picks which have never been good enough to move up in the draft simply because the Suns are playing their way out of the only difference makers in the draft.

No it's not. Sometimes people just have different opinions. I don't consider myself a good evaluator and I'm even worse when it comes to judging college talent but it worries me that both players flaws are so obvious. Simmons strengths are still intriguing despite his on court weaknesses but when you also consider the whole package (work ethic, relationships with teammates, nepotism issues etc.) you have to start wondering what you're going to get when you draft him.

I started worrying about these guys back when I thought we had a pretty good chance to grab one of them. Now though, I wouldn't hesitate to trade a top 2 pick in this class for 2 picks that fall in the 7 to 10 range (this year and a future). And I'm well aware that's usually horrible return for a top 2 pick.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Not so sure. Simmons looks like the type of pick that eventually gets a gm fired. He has no jump shot, questionable character, and a poor motor. That's a bit terrifying to a team that has the #1 pick. He is OK at #2 because you can always say "Ingram was gone already" much like Okafor and Towns last year.

But, given the potential teams holding those top two picks, I am not sure what they would do. Boston, Denver, Philly, Phoenix, Lakers, Minnesota, Sacramento and then to a lesser extent, Milwaukee, Orlando, Utah, Toronto.

Philly--Jerry Colangelo is not trading either of those two picks.
Boston--Danny Ainge, nope he is picking.
Denver--not sure
Phoenix--not trading a top two pick.
Laker--No, unless they have a shot at a disgruntled superstar, nothing we have
Minnesota--I could see Minnesota wanting to add some vets. They have alot of quality young players but cannot seem to put a team together.
Sacramento--I am sorry, not clue there.
Milwaukee--will probably pick. they have picked decently recently and have done poorly in trades a FA signings.
Orlando--Not sure that Ingram or is what they want, they arent gettin the pick anyway.
Toronto--will take the pick. They get control for a long time, which is what they need in Toronto.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Booker looks legit, but his shooting percentage is slipping.
Please don't evaluate his performance and potential based upon a declining shooting percentage.

-- He is a 19-year old rookie who has never played the minutes he is now.

-- He is the most skilled player on the Suns at 2 positions and is being counted on to cover both.

Put those two factors together, and add that he is already the face of the team in advertisements, along with

-- There is no one else on the team talented enough to take pressure off him.

That is indeed legit. Despite a short-sighted Front Office who cares only about publicity.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think any team will trade out of the top 2. Simmons is still an excellent prospect. He has the tools to have at least a Draymond Green type impact in the league and Green has turned into an all star, max contract player who is a triple double threat every night.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this video but I decided to put it here.

Below is an interview with Dan Majerle on the Dan Patrick show. There is some interesting insight from Dan Majerle the player. He talks about Charles Barkley and Larry Bird among others.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I couldn't help but wonder if the Suns made the wrong decision when they didn't make Majerle the interim head coach years back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know if Marjerle would have worked out or not, but I'm sure as hell that tapping Hunter was idiotic. The silver lining is that it put the nail in the coffin on the moronic Blanks era.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It depends on how much they like those two players in the two player draft. This year there are two that seem above the rest, but even they have warts. If a team gets an established player that offers what they want, they might go for that. Philly would be a candidate. Right now they don't have coaches, they have baby sitters. They need quality veteran leadership (under 30 years old) to help the younger players along.

The problem is that I do not think we have the vets that they would want. Maybe Bledsoe.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn