The "Experts" Think We're 4th Worst In The League

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not unexpected. Loss of players. Bad drafts. Mediocre F/A signings. Rookie coaching staff. GM in limbo. Does not give L V oddsmakers much evidence to rate them higher.

" I see no improvement in teams like the Bears, Bucs, Deadskins, Giants, etc. Hell, they have the 49ers as a bubble playoff team. Um, OK"

Bears have been improving roster last 3 years.
Bucs are stuck in mud.
Redskins will be better with Alex Smith run offense.
49ers on the rise big time.
I'm sorry but I'm not sold on the 49ers. Garoppolo is being anointed the 2nd coming of Joe Montana but there isn't enough of a body of work to know if he's the real deal. Will he he be? Maybe, maybe not. Their defense is also suspect ranked in the lower 3rd of the league last year. Bears are still the bottom of their division, Deadskins will not be much better with Smith than Cousins. As for us, we came off of a 4-12 season in 2012 to win 10 games the following year under a whole new system. And this team won 8 games last year with Drew Stanton and Blaine freaking Gabbert at QB for most of the season as well as a poo ton of injuries.

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
You better get out of here with that garbage. I take David Johnson in a NY minute over Gurley.

Also, please keep discounting and overlooking us sir, and proceed with hanging this year's division championship banner in your stadium. The upcoming 16 regular season games are a mere formality. Teams like the Cardinals have no chance to compete against the mighty Rams.
Did I say any of that? You have a new HC, two new QB's, a RB coming off injury....It is what it is, and now Shipley is out for the year on the Oline. (sorry about that, truly. NO MORE INJURIES). It's the happy time of year when all things are possible...I get it.

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
Get the hell out of here. I don't want you to leave, just to not speak nonsense. Gurley over Johnson AND/OR Bell is just crazy talk.
Look above and realize who was the OPOY last year and who probably should have been MVP over Brady....It's not just homerism talking here, although I am not above that:cheers:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are two games within the game:

1. Two teams playing "Chess in Motion."

2. A bunch of so-called experts playing "Who's the better predictor?"

Game #2 bores me (Not enough hitting).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look above and realize who was the OPOY last year and who probably should have been MVP over Brady....It's not just homerism talking here, although I am not above that:cheers:

You could argue prior to last year he was considered a bust after a good/great rookie season. Sure he had a great year, but he hasn't had the consistency to put him as the #1 back in the league. Suggesting otherwise isn't looking at him objectively.

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
You could argue prior to last year he was considered a bust after a good/great rookie season. Sure he had a great year, but he hasn't had the consistency to put him as the #1 back in the league. Suggesting otherwise isn't looking at him objectively.
Unless you objectively look at Jeff Fisher, and his effects on Gurley, Goff, Keenum, and Nick Foles...Gurley was hindered in every way possible that second year, in the jr high offense..Coaching and offensive schemes matter

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow to those rankings. We are a top 8 team even with all the what ifs we have. At those odds I have to make a call to Vegas.
What? In what league? Not the NFL.
Not even Hollywood could script that nonsense.

I'll grant you three wishes.
1. Your team stays healthy.
2. All the other teams suffer key injuries.
3. The ball bounces your way.

The Cardinals are still NOT a playoff team in 2018.

I like where the defense is...where it's going...and there's some elite and young talent there.

That offense is going to be a one weapon trainwreck. Bottom 10 easily.
Think...2008 or 2009 St Louis Rams. A whole lot of Steven Jackson(after a contract hold out) behind a bad OLine, an old Torry Holt and not much else.

Am i wrong?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

It's pretty ballsy to put this out there when you're pushing David Johnson as the alternative.

Reaction score
What? In what league? Not the NFL.
Not even Hollywood could script that nonsense.

I'll grant you three wishes.
1. Your team stays healthy.
2. All the other teams suffer key injuries.
3. The ball bounces your way.

The Cardinals are still NOT a playoff team in 2018.

I like where the defense is...where it's going...and there's some elite and young talent there.

That offense is going to be a one weapon trainwreck. Bottom 10 easily.
Think...2008 or 2009 St Louis Rams. A whole lot of Steven Jackson(after a contract hold out) behind a bad OLine, an old Torry Holt and not much else.

Am i wrong?

I think you are underestimating our offense & that is fine.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unless you objectively look at Jeff Fisher, and his effects on Gurley, Goff, Keenum, and Nick Foles...Gurley was hindered in every way possible that second year, in the jr high offense..Coaching and offensive schemes matter

Gurley has Keenum and foles his rookie season in which he had a breakout season. Same with the coach is Jeff fisher and offensive coordinator Rob Boras according to pro football research. I think what hindered gurley his second season was that Goff was not an nfl ready QB and was given the keys when the season was lost.

To say one is better than the other at this point in their careers is almost impossible. They’ve played 3 years in the nfl and each have had outstanding MVP type seasons. Both are every down backs that can catch and run. Maybe in another 2-3 seasons we can actually say one is definitively better than the other. Just my 2 cents I guess

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think you are underestimating our offense & that is fine.
It's definitely possible...but me being local, following the reports and watching most of the (Cards)games every year...i think i've got a pretty good pulse on this team from an out of the box perspective. My point being that i'm not some random rival fan commenting based on what he sees on ESPN once a week or in a blog.

At least until the season begins. :D

Before then we are going to the Super Bowl.
Fair enough. There are usually 32 optimistic fan bases in August.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It's definitely possible...but me being local, following the reports and watching most of the (Cards)games every year...i think i've got a pretty good pulse on this team from an out of the box perspective. My point being that i'm not some random rival fan commenting based on what he sees on ESPN once a week or in a blog.

30...Jets and Browns are rarely optimistic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

What the hell happen to your own Ram's forum. Don't get me wrong, I am flattered all you Ram fans are hunkering down here in Cardinal red till they get your forum going again... what, the hackers figured out your McVay host network :)

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
What the hell happen to your own Ram's forum. Don't get me wrong, I am flattered all you Ram fans are hunkering down here in Cardinal red till they get your forum going again... what, the hackers figured out your McVay host network :)

Pretty admirable (albeit strange) that he has this much passion for his team that he would be here so much in the offseason

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
Gurley has Keenum and foles his rookie season in which he had a breakout season. Same with the coach is Jeff fisher and offensive coordinator Rob Boras according to pro football research. I think what hindered gurley his second season was that Goff was not an nfl ready QB and was given the keys when the season was lost.

To say one is better than the other at this point in their careers is almost impossible. They’ve played 3 years in the nfl and each have had outstanding MVP type seasons. Both are every down backs that can catch and run. Maybe in another 2-3 seasons we can actually say one is definitively better than the other. Just my 2 cents I guess

A few things...Although Rob Boras was our OC (he was horrifically bad) for 2015 and 2016, teams had the offseason to see how to stop Gurley, This was possible because our two WR's were Kenny Britt and Brian Quick. Britt was almost the only WR, and hence his 1000 yard season, but was a locker room cancer. Quick was a 2nd round bust.

Gurley had virtually no holes opened for him in 2016 by one of the worst Olines in the NFL. The Oline had no push and Gurley was hit behind the LOS, regularly. With the one dimensional game plan, which Fisher preferred, the Rams won the few games they did in 2016 with its defense and Greg Zeurline (kicker). The opposing defense might have had 11 in the box, come to think of it...This was all done with Case Keenum at QB for the first 10 games of the season. Again, Case at QB wasn't the reason why Gurley was effective in 2015. It was the surprise of Gurley as a rookie and opposing teams answer to him and the Rams one-dimensional offense in 2016, which resulted in the Gurley's poor year.

Gurley blossomed with a much improved Oline (played together all season in 2017), anchored by old stud Whittworth at LT. Whitworth-Saffold-Sullivan-Brown-Havenstein gave Gurley the holes in which he needed to run. McVay had new WR's Kupp, Woods, and Watkins (and Gurley) as multiple weapons. Gurley was a threat in the passing and running game. McVay groomed Goff in the new system in 2017, and Goff excelled, along with the whole team. In the last 7 games of the 2016 season, Goff was fed to the wolves and Fisher was fired with 3 games left in the season. So it wasn't Goff's fault for the dumpster fire of the Fisher/Boras offensive game plan, and Goff/Gurley burned in the hell of it.

So it wasn't simply that Gurley had Case Keenum in 2015 and sucked by himself in 2016, because the context says differently.

Last edited:

Warnertop3

Just Getting Started
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think what hindered gurley his second season was that Goff was not an nfl ready QB and was given the keys when the season was lost.
@LoyalRam covered this pretty well, although I will add that yes, Goff was not ready yet. He was 21, and still is young, (23) but the notion that he is solely a "system" quarterback, and a product of McVay's orchestration, certainly sells him short.

Our board is awesome, but I used to live in Az. and rooted for you guys to win, once we were out, when Kurt was there. Mojo lives there now, and Loyal Ram just loves you guys so much. :hacker:

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
What the hells going on out there! Sheep fans want us to stick our heads between our legs and kiss our AZ goodbye? LA hasn’t been able to keep a team there - their fans evaporate like trendy laker fans - hide their faces till its fashionable again - Card fans are forged from flames of adversity - and we bow to no one -

How to beat a sheep is pretty simple - take your boots off and point them toward the salt river - (sheeps hate water) stand behind the sheep - and they just keep backing up!

I don’t know yet how the 2018 Cards will be or if they will come together - I know we have a great core of players - Jones, pp, BB, Fitz, DJ and Sam -

I like the sheeps chances - cause they lost forever and accumulated decades of high draft picks - but make no mistake - we will meet all comers in battle none the less - slight chance of success - impossible odds ! What are we waiting for!

Gimbly