The "Experts" Think We're 4th Worst In The League

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I'm really optimistic about this season.

The Cards either prove all the "experts" wrong and win a bunch of games or things go south, Rosen gets lots of playing time and we draft LFs heir with our high draft pick.

I'm gonna enjoy watching either way.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Sorry man, NO ONE in the NFL is a better hybrid RB than Todd Gurley.

You better get out of here with that garbage. I take David Johnson in a NY minute over Gurley.

Also, please keep discounting and overlooking us sir, and proceed with hanging this year's division championship banner in your stadium. The upcoming 16 regular season games are a mere formality. Teams like the Cardinals have no chance to compete against the mighty Rams.

Last edited:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Wow to those rankings. We are a top 8 team even with all the what ifs we have. At those odds I have to make a call to Vegas.

Warnertop3

Just Getting Started
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sorry, our defense is better than decent. Possibly the best pass rusher in the league in Chandler (the sack totals do not lie) and the closest thing to a shut down corner in Peterson already takes you past decent. Now, "almost Todd Gurley good" could only be offered by a Ram fan because the only competition a healthy Johnson has is Le'veon Bell for what he provides and Elliot from Dallas is better than Gurley. Then there is this kid named Barkley who the Giants got in the draft which might be better than him too... but then again as you stated, you do not follow the Cardinals that closely :)
Elliot? Come on. Gurley was offensive MVP for a reason, by the way. And Barkley should be good, but hasn’t proven anything yet.
Spoken like a true rose colored glass fan. Well done mate!
Offensive Player if the Year. Get yourself a pair of those glasses.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
“Almost Todd Gurley good”

Trolllllllllllllllll

I wouldn't go that far, he likes his boy, and he ain't chopped liver. But which Gurley emerges now that he's been paid? The stud we saw last year, and flashes of as a rookie - or the bum that he was in 2016, at 3.2 ypc?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not unexpected. Loss of players. Bad drafts. Mediocre F/A signings. Rookie coaching staff. GM in limbo. Does not give L V oddsmakers much evidence to rate them higher.

" I see no improvement in teams like the Bears, Bucs, Deadskins, Giants, etc. Hell, they have the 49ers as a bubble playoff team. Um, OK"

Bears have been improving roster last 3 years.
Bucs are stuck in mud.
Redskins will be better with Alex Smith run offense.
49ers on the rise big time.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Wow to those rankings. We are a top 8 team even with all the what ifs we have. At those odds I have to make a call to Vegas.

Which of these teams are we better than right now:

1. New Engalnd Patriots
2. Philadelphia Eagles
3. St. Louis Rams
4. New Orleans Saints
5. Green Bay Packers
6. Pittsburgh Steelers
7. Minnesota Vikings
8. Jacksonville Jaguars
9. Kansas City Chiefs
10. Atlanta Falcons

I think an argument can be made that if half of our "what ifs" pay off, we could be somewhere in the soft middle of the NFL, but it's difficult to say we've upgraded enough across the roster to improve on our 8-8 finish that saw us unusually successful in close games.

People are measuring our progress based on where we ended up on March 10, not from where we ended last season when we were an unlikely .500 team.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hahahahahaa, a team with GM in hiatus for DUI. A QB who is likely to be on IR before camp starts. No LB core. New head coach. Rookie taking lumps at QB, Defense being hot switched to 4-3, a rookie defensive coordinator.... how do I say it, Cards a bottom 10 team. No way around it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far, he likes his boy, and he ain't chopped liver. But which Gurley emerges now that he's been paid? The stud we saw last year, and flashes of as a rookie - or the bum that he was in 2016, at 3.2 ypc?

1100 yard rushing, 200 receiving, 10 TDs and 4.7 ypc in 13 games on an AWFUL team as a rookie is more than flashes. That's a damn good season, especially coming off an ACL and missing the first three games of the year.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gurley is borderline great. His receiving skills are not on the level of Bell or David Johnson. But dude can flat out run better than both in IMO. Gurley is a HOFer in making but ways to go.

As a pure hybrid RB, give me Bell or David Johnson.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Hahahahahaa, a team with GM in hiatus for DUI. A QB who is likely to be on IR before camp starts. No LB core. New head coach. Rookie taking lumps at QB, Defense being hot switched to 4-3, a rookie defensive coordinator.... how do I say it, Cards a bottom 10 team. No way around it.

Are they? Let's say Rosen starts 12+ games. I don't think that Deone Bucannon is like actively bad, I just don't think he's that good. I think Reddick will play like a mid-second round pick not a Top 15 pick. Let's say David Johnson is a Top 10 back — 1000 yards rushing, 800 yards receiving, 8 TDs. Let's say the offensive line is in the third quartile of the NFL. With those modest givens, I have a hard time believing that our team isn't better than:

Buffalo, NY Jets, Miami, Cleveland, Chicago, Denver, Washington.

That's 7 teams that I'm pretty sure we're better than. Can we be better than half of NY Giants, Detroit, Tennessee, Houston, Indy, Seattle, Tampa, Oakland, San Francicso? I think so. All those teams aren't going to be good. That would keep us out of the bottom 10 in the NFL.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Gurley is borderline great. His receiving skills are not on the level of Bell or David Johnson. But dude can flat out run better than both in IMO. Gurley is a HOFer in making but ways to go.

You're underrating Gurley's ability as a receiver. Gurley was 2nd in receiving DYAR last season (Behind Alvin Kamara). He had about the same DYAR as David Johnson did in 2016.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Are they? Let's say Rosen starts 12+ games. I don't think that Deone Bucannon is like actively bad, I just don't think he's that good. I think Reddick will play like a mid-second round pick not a Top 15 pick. Let's say David Johnson is a Top 10 back — 1000 yards rushing, 800 yards receiving, 8 TDs. Let's say the offensive line is in the third quartile of the NFL. With those modest givens, I have a hard time believing that our team isn't better than:

That's 7 teams that I'm pretty sure we're better than. Can we be better than half of NY Giants, Detroit, Tennessee, Houston, Indy, Seattle, Tampa, Oakland, San Francicso? I think so. All those teams aren't going to be good. That would keep us out of the bottom 10 in the NFL.

Let's name ourselves penny-pinchers. :band:

Warnertop3

Just Getting Started
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Your question shows you are unaware of why 2016 was so bad. Between Fisher, a bad OC, and volitility at QB, he dealt with 9 in the box all year. Gurley last year is Gurley.

You must be registered for see images attach
An argument can be made for Todd or DJ being better. I respect DJ but to say one or the other is OBVIOUSLY better is just wrong.

And give me Gurley. He strikes me as the best receiving RB in the league, after last year. To each his own.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I’d put Chicago in Tampa’s spot. Even though they’re in a tough division, I wouldn’t be surprised if they emerge as a serious playoff contender. Loved what they did the past 2 off seasons.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’d put Chicago in Tampa’s spot. Even though they’re in a tough division, I wouldn’t be surprised if they emerge as a serious playoff contender. Loved what they did the past 2 off seasons.

I dunno. They're maybe worse off at receiver than we are.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think the Cards win enough games to make half of the posters here bitter about next years draft position.
funny... I was just thinking..."they will win just enough to screw up our draft slot"...lol

but I think we are top ten this year either way...just maybe not top five

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think you guys are really overestimating our defense. I know Wilks is a defensive-minded coach, but I do still see some problems.

- New scheme will take time to adjust.
- Bucannon is more of a liability than a impact player.
- CB2 is still questionable
- Won’t be surprised if Bethea falls off a cliff this year due to Father Time.
- DT room looks meh. I think Pierre will continue to improve. Peters is sold. Everyone else? Blah.

Budda will be a star though. Very much looking forward to that.

I am actually curious to see if Jones benefitted greatly from the scheme.... his numbers could fall off a cliff this year as far as sacks go.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Which of these teams are we better than right now:

1. New Engalnd Patriots
2. Philadelphia Eagles
3. St. Louis Rams
4. New Orleans Saints
5. Green Bay Packers
6. Pittsburgh Steelers
7. Minnesota Vikings
8. Jacksonville Jaguars
9. Kansas City Chiefs
10. Atlanta Falcons

I think an argument can be made that if half of our "what ifs" pay off, we could be somewhere in the soft middle of the NFL, but it's difficult to say we've upgraded enough across the roster to improve on our 8-8 finish that saw us unusually successful in close games.

People are measuring our progress based on where we ended up on March 10, not from where we ended last season when we were an unlikely .500 team.
I was talking about just the NFC. Those rankings were only NFC teams and we were last.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A big money-saver and injury-preventer:

Don't play the games/let sports media gurus vote to determine the winner of each game.

Turn each stadium into a planter.