The Durant Sweepstakes

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Apples and oranges my friend! Book is a 25 year old that just re-upped for a super max deal.

Durant is a 34 year old coming off of injuries.
I'm pretty sure this conversation has consistently referred to Durant as an MVP candidate, praise not afforded to Booker. Who would say has more value over the next three seasons?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
With everything bogged down in the NBA it's something to keep the conversation alive.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
My God he's obnoxious. Part of me wants this to fall apart so he gets a slice of humble pie

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Durant just signed an extension last off-season. He has 4 years under contract left. He hasn't indicated he's willing to sit out until he's traded.
Nothing has happened, yet. I think it's too early to tell whether or not KD will go scorched earth. We're still in the summer.
KD will be traded for less than the Nets are currently demanding but he'll fetch a lot more than a bunch of role players from the Suns.
Agreed - they'll need to include Mikail, parts, and a bunch of picks. It's a lot to give up, but KD.
If Booker demanded a trade to Boston ans only Boston, as suggested, and all they would give up is garbage then I'd say send him to the highest bidder. You don't bend over and take it though. Bad enough you're losing him, don't lose him for nothing worthwhile in return.
I'd be much more comfortable making Book sit out at 25 than KD at 34. That said, if NBA superstars want out, they usually get what they want, and go where they want to go.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this conversation has consistently referred to Durant as an MVP candidate, praise not afforded to Booker.
Uh, what? https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-co...a-NBA-Most-Valuable-Player-Voting-Results.pdf

Booker just got 4th place!
Who would say has more value over the next three seasons?
Probably Durant, but if so, only by a bit. Devin Booker is legitimately a star, and has maintained good health without major injury. Combine that with Durant's age/injury issues, I'm not sure I'd trade Booker straight up for KD at this point.

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
My God he's obnoxious. Part of me wants this to fall apart so he gets a slice of humble pie
Why? If he truly has insider info, why hate a guy for it? Not every insider gets it right and that includes guys like woj. If the guy is wrong it's not the end of the world.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably Durant, but if so, only by a bit. Devin Booker is legitimately a star, and has maintained good health without major injury. Combine that with Durant's age/injury issues, I'm not sure I'd trade Booker straight up for KD at this point.
If they were both on one year deals, Durant would likely have the edge in value across the league. But for the life of their respective contracts, Booker by a large margin IMO.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So basically, around the NBA teams are all saying the same thing. The price for Durant is too high. Not going to pay it. On the flipside, the Nets are saying sorry that is the price. Take it or leave it. Unless the Nets get realistic? Durant is staying put. NOBODY is trading for him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
We will see. If they end up trading Kyrie in the next few weeks, Durant will follow for some price.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay, so shouldn't their trade value be roughly the same?
I think it depends on the team.

For a team that needs to just get over the hump, Durant has more value - a Boston for instance, but for most teams Bookers age should make him more valuable. At least that is the way I would look at it as a GM.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think it depends on the team.

For a team that needs to just get over the hump, Durant has more value - a Boston for instance, but for most teams Bookers age should make him more valuable. At least that is the way I would look at it as a GM.
Fine, so I return to my original question: If Booker demanded a trade to Boston, and all the Celtics were offering was a role player and late picks, what would you advise the Suns to do?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Okay, so shouldn't their trade value be roughly the same?
If your only qualification is the next 3 years, then yes. However the nearly 10 year age gap can't be ignored. Booker should be reaching his prime in 3 years, and KD will more than likely be on the way out of the league.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If your only qualification is the next 3 years, then yes. However the nearly 10 year age gap can't be ignored. Booker should be reaching his prime in 3 years, and KD will more than likely be on the way out of the league.
But how often does a player stay with a team for anything approaching ten years? You're basically never trading for a ten-year asset, unless it's someone still on their rookie deal.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
But how often does a player stay with a team for anything approaching ten years? You're basically never trading for a ten-year asset, unless it's someone still on their rookie deal.
You really don't have to bank on 10 years. If you're deciding who has more value over 3 years, it's probably a wash, over 5 years, you'd obviously take Booker.

One season, the advantage is likely Durant, but after that it probably becomes a wash/advantage Booker.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As I stated he doesn't need a 6 point jump to be considered in great company. 4 would do it and it's more than reasonable if we actually got plays called for him.

Defenses can't just scheme against your 3 if you have CP3, Book and Ayton out there. Easier said than done. Most teams can't lock down more than a position or two on any given night. Opportunity is everything. If you practice plays being called to you verses just being opportunistic most nights, you are bound to increase your scoring.
If they are accounting for Paul, Ayton and book that means bridges is your 4.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Imagine for a moment that Booker said he wanted to be traded to the Celtics, and all Boston was willing to offer was one role player and low draft picks. What would you advise the Suns to do?
Book isn’t 34 and the rest of the franchise isn’t wanting out (kyrie) or old/bit players. Different scenario entirely.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Obviously Suns fans don't want the Suns to make stupid trades, but do want other teams to make stupid trades.
If Durant decides to go scorched earth, what other choice will the Nets have?

Nobody will give up real value if he says all he wants is the Suns. I'd imagine if Booker at point said he wanted out, and started to make things ugly, they might have to make some business decisions.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Durant just signed an extension last off-season. He has 4 years under contract left. He hasn't indicated he's willing to sit out until he's traded.

KD will be traded for less than the Nets are currently demanding but he'll fetch a lot more than a bunch of role players from the Suns.

If Booker demanded a trade to Boston ans only Boston, as suggested, and all they would give up is garbage then I'd say send him to the highest bidder. You don't bend over and take it though. Bad enough you're losing him, don't lose him for nothing worthwhile in return.
This is agree with. I could see the nets doing it too. Particularly to an organization like Toronto who isn’t afraid of gambling (see kawhi).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this conversation has consistently referred to Durant as an MVP candidate, praise not afforded to Booker. Who would say has more value over the next three seasons?
Book finished fourth in MVP voting this year. He qualifies as a legit “candidate” now.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Book finished fourth in MVP voting this year. He qualifies as a legit “candidate” now.
Okay, "candidate" was the wrong word. The discussion has put Durant, today, in a higher tier than Booker, today. You can't deny that that's the consensus (even if you disagree with that consensus).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I read it for the entertainment value plus he gets some things right.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fine, so I return to my original question: If Booker demanded a trade to Boston, and all the Celtics were offering was a role player and late picks, what would you advise the Suns to do?
Say, too bad, not doing it. That is what the Lakers told Kobe when he asked for a trade.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo is saying that the Celtics are a legit contender to get KD because they willing to give up Brown. He saying the Suns are still in it as well but Boston is a threat. He says the hesitation with the Nets is making the Celtics better.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose