The Diamondbacks “are confident” they be able to trade Greinke. Aka the Grienke trade tracker thread

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I read somewhere yesterday that the thought is they’ll attach Bradley to a Greinke deal to get better prospects in return.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other words, Hazen admitted that we’re a middle-of-the-road team with little hope for present and future success. You don’t trade your best player if you’re not rebuilding

That was my take as well. They are happy to chase 2nd place

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
A couple of things:

1. Would Mathis aka Greinke's favorite catcher have to be part of a trade deal? He's on track for $3MM or so this year, so it's not a salary thing. Would Greinke require him to come along much like Wayne Gretzky required hios personal bodyguard Marty McSorley to be part of the trade to L.A.? I'm sorry, but Kelly is not the answer at catcher.

2. Suppose no one wants to trade for Greinke because the DBs are obstinate about only sending $x.xx in cash along with the deal. The team becomes more stuck in that rock/hard place dilemma, where they still have to pay Greinke to play, but have traded/non-tendered so many players they'll need to wear name tags in the clubhouse.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A couple of things:

1. Would Mathis aka Greinke's favorite catcher have to be part of a trade deal? He's on track for $3MM or so this year, so it's not a salary thing. Would Greinke require him to come along much like Wayne Gretzky required hios personal bodyguard Marty McSorley to be part of the trade to L.A.? I'm sorry, but Kelly is not the answer at catcher.

2. Suppose no one wants to trade for Greinke because the DBs are obstinate about only sending $x.xx in cash along with the deal. The team becomes more stuck in that rock/hard place dilemma, where they still have to pay Greinke to play, but have traded/non-tendered so many players they'll need to wear name tags in the clubhouse.

Mathis already signed a 2-year deal with the Texas Rangers. In his ultimate wisdom (or lack thereof) it appears that Hazen is prepared to go with the horrible catching tandem of Kelly, Avila and Murphy next season.

It's looking more and more like a significant portion of the Major League roster next season will be AAAA players. If that's the case, much better to throw in the $$$ and trade Greinke now and at least get some decent prospects back, rather than keep Greinke with the extreme likelihood that he becomes a malcontent and kills his own trade value.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave