The Diamondbacks “are confident” they be able to trade Greinke. Aka the Grienke trade tracker thread

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
  • The Diamondbacks “are confident” they’ll be able to trade Zack Greinke without having to absorb any of the $95.5MM still owed on the right-hander’s contract over the next three seasons., a source tells Morosi. It’s a very short list of teams with the available payroll space and willingness to make such a big move, which is why Morosi feels the Phillies “are the most logical suitors.” While the Phillies are also checking into a plethora of other pitching options (including Patrick Corbin and J.A. Happ), Greinke would cost the team less than Corbin would in a long-term commitment. Acquiring Greinke would also come at a player cost, of course, though it’s possible Arizona would take only a relatively middling prospect return just for the sake of getting Greinke entirely off the books. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/tradefree-agent-rumors-segura-diaz-greinke-happ.html

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This would be great.

Trade Greinke for nothing.
Trade Goldy for some good pieces.
Extra draft picks for Corbin and AJ.

Sounds like the formula for a quick rebuild to me. If they get the right young players and use the cap space wisely they could be competitive as soon as 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This would be great.

Trade Greinke for nothing.
Trade Goldy for some good pieces.
Extra draft picks for Corbin and AJ.

Sounds like the formula for a quick rebuild to me. If they get the right young players and use the cap space wisely they could be competitive as soon as 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even if ARZ sends $40M in a Greinke deal, they will save over $20M a year over the next 3 years and they could get quality pieces in addition to a potential Goldy deal and compensatory picks. I would not just deal Greinke to move his entire salary because you get nothing in return to help the re-build unless they plan on re-signing Corbin. Use some of his contract to buy really good prospects like ATL did with Touissant.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
So that means Greinke would agree to . . .

Braves, Brewers, Cubs, Marlins, Nationals and Pirates in the NL and

Astros, Indians, Mariners, Rangers, Rays and Royals in the AL.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

I think these are the teams that could even afford him:

Cubs
Astros
Nationals
Rangers
Braves (maybe)

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Maybe not agree to but he can't stop a trade to any of those teams. I could see ATL, CHI, HOU and maybe WAS interested, everyone else looks to be in rebuild mode and CLE is looking to deal one of their Big 3 so doubt they do that then go after Greinke.

I think these are the teams that could even afford him:

Cubs
Astros
Nationals
Rangers
Braves (maybe)

If rumor that ARZ is willing to kick in significant cash is true then more teams can afford him.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
According to ESPN.com contributors Braford Doolittle and David Schoenfield, the top two potential teams for the highly paid pitcher are the Atlanta Braves and Houston Astros.

Both writers contend that completing a trade involving Greinke could be complicated given that the 35-year-old is owed nearly $100 million over the next three seasons and has veto power on trades to many teams in the league.

“A team giving extra weight to short-term wins can justify an expectation of getting above-water value from Greinke, provided he maintains around a 3-WAR pace over the duration of his massive contract,” Doolittle said.
http://arizonasports.com/story/1762...to-st-louis-zack-greinke-could-be-next-to-go/

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don’t buy Hazen’s we’ll remain competitive bit. You don’t trade your best player if you’re planning on being competitive. If that were the case you trade Greinke to pay Goldy. Hazel saying all the right things about Greinke though, “they’re happy to have him”, “he’s a Top 5 pitcher”, he’s putting on a hell of a sales pitch but what’s going to sell a deal for Greinke is how much of his contract are you eating?

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Zack Greinke might not be dealt until the trade deadline, USA Today’s Bob Nightengale tweets, as the Diamondbacks feel they could get more for the ace right-hander in July than they could now, with so many other starters available on the market. Those other pitchers also don’t come with Greinke’s hefty $95.5MM contract attached, making it difficult for the D’Backs to find a trade partner at the moment.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018...nts-cervelli-dodgers-reds-greinke-padres.html

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What I don't understand are all the conflicting reports. First ARZ was "motivated" to move Greinke, then they were willing to "lower the financial burden" on teams in a deal and now management feels they wouldn't need to take back money to get a deal for Greinke done from the last I've read. It's been reported by analysts and pundits that teams view Greinke's value at around a $20M a year pitcher, so if you are trying to deal him as a $34M a year pitcher it's no wonder no one is interested now. Of course they may be more interested at the deadline, around half his 2019 salary would be paid. Why not kick in money and buy some better prospects from teams in a trade? ARZ is just going to end up paying him any way to pitch on what looks to be a real bad team next year if what we have now is the Opening Day roster.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hazen was on Bickley today and basically said Greinke will likely be here. More moves are unlikely to come.

This isn't a rebuild and there won't be a fire sale.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hazen was on Bickley today and basically said Greinke will likely be here. More moves are unlikely to come.

It's a lost cause season. He's right in that it's not a rebuild, they just traded their best player and are losing 2 other really good players with no intention of replacing them. They aren't going to be able to give tickets away next year, no one is going to want to pay to see this AAA team.

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a feeling Greinke will be traded before the July trading deadline.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I have a feeling Greinke will be traded before the July trading deadline.
Yep, that's when they'll get some added value from teams needing a legit #2 or #3 playoff starter or needing to replace a key injured starter.

I think they also want him around, so that have that one guy who is the sure losing streak stopper for a revamped team.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yep, that's when they'll get some added value from teams needing a legit #2 or #3 playoff starter or needing to replace a key injured starter.

I think they also want him around, so that have that one guy who is the sure losing streak stopper for a revamped team.
He is going to have to be damn near flawless to keep us in games without Goldy & Pollock. He would have to get his ERA below 3 in order to rack up wins and then hope our bullpen doesn't blow the saves.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He is going to have to be damn near flawless to keep us in games without Goldy & Pollock. He would have to get his ERA below 3 in order to rack up wins and then hope our bullpen doesn't blow the saves.
You're right. His career ERA is 3.39, it has been below 3.00 only 4 times in his 15 year career and he is 35 years old.

Unfortunately, an ERA in the 2's is highly unlikely, especially with the drop-off in hitting support, putting more stress on him than previously.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
You're right. His career ERA is 3.39, it has been below 3.00 only 4 times in his 15 year career and he is 35 years old.

Unfortunately, an ERA in the 2's is highly unlikely, especially with the drop-off in hitting support, putting more stress on him than previously.
Offense and defense. Look at some of the better gloves gone from the team--Goldy, Pollock, Owings, Descalso, Jon Jay is a FA. Move Marte into CF and you have no full-time 2B on the roster from '18. Move Lamb to 1B--do you trust Escobar full time at 3B?

None of this translates into a potentially strong season for any pitcher. And if he struggles, his trade value will diminish. Either they try and shop him to a small-market team who will want cash compensation. Try a large-market team? They'll probably undercut you will a few middling prospects. Either way the fans--what's left of them--will dry up.

If he catches fire in Spring Training, start making the phone calls.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

In other words, Hazen admitted that we’re a middle-of-the-road team with little hope for present and future success. You don’t trade your best player if you’re not rebuilding