The Denver Broncos dominoes are starting to fall

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denver is reportedly hiring Nathaniel Hackett, the current OC with the Packers.

Reports are that it's very possible Aaron Rodgers will now follow Hackett to Denver. There are also reports that FA Wr Davante Adams will follow Hackett to Denver. And there are reports that if those 2 things happen, Denver will probably look to trade former 1st rounder WR Jerry Jeudy. Denver last year locked down Courtland Sutton and Tim Patrick into new deals and there were reports they were considering moving Jeudy to try and help land a QB in the draft but were hesitant with the lack of QB's in the current draft. They are also considered front runners for Russell Wilson should he move on.

But the hiring of Hackett suddenly puts Rodgers and Adams in play which increases the odds they move Jeudy.

Now it's getting interesting I have no idea what Jeudy would bring on the open market, if Calvin Ridley is a 2nd rounder what's the value for Jeudy? Might not be any more than it is for Ridley, he's younger and doesn't have the missed half a season for mental health issue, but he's also not been as productive in the NFL as Ridley, yet.

Depending on how we do in FA and the draft a 2nd rounder for Jeudy would be awfully tempting me talented young big play WR who has shown flashes but been held back by QB play and injury.

Starting to get interesting. I would add no idea how much cap money they have but would seem the safer move is just keep Jeudy and try to get Rodgers but apparently Rodgers and Adams want to play together.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they ask a third for jeudy i would get him

I assume it would be higher than that, they don't even have to trade him but that would be a ton of money in 4 WR's if they do indeed wind up signing Adams.

If it were me I'd pursue Wilson over Rodgers, younger and then you don't have to spend a ton of money on Adams. the reports are the reason they are interested in Adams is they think he and Rodgers are a package deal.

Jeudy was reportedly not happy at all last year he was targeted only 13% of the time, 0 TD's, week after week he'd be open and either Bridgewater or Lock would not see him or be unable to get the ball there. he had drop issues too.

My guess is a 2nd rounder makes sense given that's the reported value for Ridley. If Jeudy weren't coming off a 38 catch zero TD year where he missed games both with a foot injury and Covid, he'd probably command a 1st round pick.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I assume it would be higher than that, they don't even have to trade him but that would be a ton of money in 4 WR's if they do indeed wind up signing Adams.

If it were me I'd pursue Wilson over Rodgers, younger and then you don't have to spend a ton of money on Adams. the reports are the reason they are interested in Adams is they think he and Rodgers are a package deal.

Jeudy was reportedly not happy at all last year he was targeted only 13% of the time, 0 TD's, week after week he'd be open and either Bridgewater or Lock would not see him or be unable to get the ball there. he had drop issues too.

My guess is a 2nd rounder makes sense given that's the reported value for Ridley. If Jeudy weren't coming off a 38 catch zero TD year where he missed games both with a foot injury and Covid, he'd probably command a 1st round pick.
A second from Denver prospective i guess
I would send Simmons there for Jeudy and a third

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A second from Denver prospective i guess
I would send Simmons there for Jeudy and a third

I would do Simmons for Jeudy straight up, but I wouldn't add in a pick. We'd be trading for one of the guys we should have picked instead of Simmons 2 years ago.

I don't think we're trading Simmons though.

My guess is Denver wants picks because even if they do get Rodgers, or Wilson, they're going to need a young QB they know Drew Lock isn't the guy. So they're going to stockpile draft picks so in the next draft they can try and trade for a young Qb.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Packers will franchise tag Adams so no need for the Broncos to trade anyone to make room for him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Isn’t Rodgers a free agent?

No. He has a voidable year in 2023. He has a $46 million cap number in 2022; the Packers would save $20MM+ if they trade him.

I'm pretty sure the Packers will franchise tag Adams so no need for the Broncos to trade anyone to make room for him.

The Packers are $40 million over the projected 2022 cap right now, according to OvertheCap. They'd have to clear out nearly $60 million to place the franchise tag on him.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No. He has a voidable year in 2023. He has a $46 million cap number in 2022; the Packers would save $20MM+ if they trade him.

The Packers are $40 million over the projected 2022 cap right now, according to OvertheCap. They'd have to clear out nearly $60 million to place the franchise tag on him.
I did not know they are in that bad of shape.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That would sure be awfully generous of the Packers.. Denver takes their OC and Packers trade them the MVP of the league while FA Adams signs for them as well? I think that would be a first in NFL history

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Jeudy was part of a trade package if the Broncos tried to acquire Rodgers.

Could be if they lose Adams too. Not that Favre knows anything but he said he thinks Rodgers is done in GB and will play somewhere else or retire.

This article doesn't really speculate on what the trade would take to get Rodgers but the Pack don't really have a ton of leverage, Rodgers could easily pull a Carson Palmer and retire if GB doesn't work with him. He has said he won't do that but he certainly wouldn't be the first to do so anyways. Even that was a hedge he said I won't retire and then come back the next year, so he's not ruling out using retirement as a tool to get GB to trade him if they don't want to.

My personal guess is the Packers will go with picks in a trade for Rodgers although you can argue Jeudy makes sense, potential #1 WR to replace Adams, on a rookie deal.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I would do Simmons for Jeudy straight up, but I wouldn't add in a pick. We'd be trading for one of the guys we should have picked instead of Simmons 2 years ago.

I don't think we're trading Simmons though.

My guess is Denver wants picks because even if they do get Rodgers, or Wilson, they're going to need a young QB they know Drew Lock isn't the guy. So they're going to stockpile draft picks so in the next draft they can try and trade for a young Qb.

As high as we were on Juedy I’m not sure Denver wouldn’t be adding a pick. While neither player has lived up to the hype at least Simmons has been durable. Tbh I’m not really scared of him becoming an elite player with a better coach/situation either.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thoughts is that it has to start with Bradley Chubb, Jerry Jeudy and then picks for Rodgers.

i'd be amazed if they got that much back remember the Packers have no leverage. If they make it hard, Rodgers can just retire.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
its pretty interesting game of chicken

IIRC: to franchise tag Adams, the Packers need the cap room to do it.

But Rogers $46mm is a big part of the reason they are over...... but Rogers wants to leave, so they cant convert salary to bonus and defer to create room...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
its pretty interesting game of chicken

IIRC: to franchise tag Adams, the Packers need the cap room to do it.

But Rogers $46mm is a big part of the reason they are over...... but Rogers wants to leave, so they cant convert salary to bonus and defer to create room...
Trading Rodgers would create $27MM in dead cap space but save them $20MM against the cap.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Trading Rodgers would create $27MM in dead cap space but save them $20MM against the cap.
yep

the franchise tag deadline -- March 8 -- creates a timeframe that feels like it works against the Packers

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
My thoughts is that it has to start with Bradley Chubb, Jerry Jeudy and then picks for Rodgers.

Trading talented players for an aging QB makes no sense. If they’re getting Rodgers in his twilight years you need to win now especially in that division. Idk how many picks it would take but as long as more than one team us interested the Packers have leverage.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Trading talented players for an aging QB makes no sense. If they’re getting Rodgers in his twilight years you need to win now especially in that division. Idk how many picks it would take but as long as more than one team us interested the Packers have leverage.
Denver has good talent...they really are just a QB away from being really good.

Five years? That's what I would look at. Do you think AROD can give you five years? If so, do whatever you gotta do to get him. Just don't let any picks go past 2023.

If they don't find a guy that can compete with Mahomes, ,Carr, the chargers kid they may as well trade every body and save their money . AFCWest might be the second toughest division in the NFL
Rodgers gives them a legit chance

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Denver has good talent...they really are just a QB away from being really good.

Five years? That's what I would look at. Do you think AROD can give you five years? If so, do whatever you gotta do to get him. Just don't let any picks go past 2023.

If they don't find a guy that can compete with Mahomes, ,Carr, the chargers kid they may as well trade every body and save their money . AFCWest might be the second toughest division in the NFL
Rodgers gives them a legit chance

Carr's days may be numbered in Vegas, especially if there is a QB in the draft they really are high on. He is definitely tradable to a few QB needy teams. Actually, the Raiders might be interested in Rogers also, as well as the Niners. Let's hope he doesn't end up in San Fran.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Denver is reportedly hiring Nathaniel Hackett, the current OC with the Packers.

Reports are that it's very possible Aaron Rodgers will now follow Hackett to Denver. There are also reports that FA Wr Davante Adams will follow Hackett to Denver. And there are reports that if those 2 things happen, Denver will probably look to trade former 1st rounder WR Jerry Jeudy. Denver last year locked down Courtland Sutton and Tim Patrick into new deals and there were reports they were considering moving Jeudy to try and help land a QB in the draft but were hesitant with the lack of QB's in the current draft. They are also considered front runners for Russell Wilson should he move on.

But the hiring of Hackett suddenly puts Rodgers and Adams in play which increases the odds they move Jeudy.

Now it's getting interesting I have no idea what Jeudy would bring on the open market, if Calvin Ridley is a 2nd rounder what's the value for Jeudy? Might not be any more than it is for Ridley, he's younger and doesn't have the missed half a season for mental health issue, but he's also not been as productive in the NFL as Ridley, yet.

Depending on how we do in FA and the draft a 2nd rounder for Jeudy would be awfully tempting me talented young big play WR who has shown flashes but been held back by QB play and injury.

Starting to get interesting. I would add no idea how much cap money they have but would seem the safer move is just keep Jeudy and try to get Rodgers but apparently Rodgers and Adams want to play together.
I mentioned this about a week ago or so before the Hackett interview that I could easily see the duo going to Denver as a package.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose