The Defense!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Think the D deserves huge props today! After allowing SF to rack up yards last week they came to play today. With the exception of the one long run by Gurley his other 8 carries were for 7 yards! The D really played well today and I think they deserve their own thread! Well done Cardinals keep up the D!

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely did a good job today.

We still have a problem getting pressure on the QB as we had zero sacks today.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They stuffed the Rams running game.

Created a No Fly Zone.

Got some pressure on Foles. Bettcher was a calling blitzes like ..... well Bowles :)

Held them to 3 points and a total of 212 yds.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
As you said Nashman, giving up 3 points and 212 yards is great cause to acknowledge the D with a thread of their own in a divisional game on the road. Well done, both to the D and to you for starting this one.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Finally! A complete defensive effort from beginning to end. No major metal lapses. No breakdowns. I love it even though Foles is HORRENDOUS!

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
The D was lights out. Especially so since the offense left a lot of points out of the field in the first half by driving onto the rams side of the field and coming up empty. Without great defense this thing could have gone sideways.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This is what bothers me about the defense before every game, they have no dynamic players at all removed from the secondary. Campbell has hardly played like a dynamic player, but they all seem to be solid. Solid does not get one sacks but it does get pressure and shuts down the running game when they all fly to the ball. I am going to feel uneasy about every single game, because nobody removed from the secondary can let up because nobody in the front seven seems to be a game changer right now but more of a collective blue collar group (the code word for a lack of athletic skill for the position) which has to play responsible and continue to fly to the ball... I am the only one who feels like this, it is really weird and they still keep getting the job done and it actually says a lot about our coaches who have to work with such a vanilla group (I do not mean they are bad by any stretch of the imagination but individually they are not special) up front

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Dude.... The Rams have been atrocious lately. Don't know how much I would prop this game up as an "example".

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Campbell had zero tackles. Freeney's name isn't even on the stat line.

OP
OP
nashman

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When you hold their offense (gurley) to 41 yds you did a hell of a job and deserve some recognition. I don't care if the Rams have been bad lately gurley is a stud and we shut him down an only surrendered a field goal in a NFL game....that's a great effort on D!

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
:shrug:

Sure, but they pressured Foles into some bad throws. That can be just as good as a sack. Plus don't forget the players missing on the line - Redding and Rucker

Freeney's name isn't even on the stat line.
Maybe because it was turf? At his age maybe they're only playing him on grass.:shrug:

Last edited:

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Foles is extremely good at throwing the ball away. Has been since college. Throws it away at the slightest hint of pressure actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
:shrug:
Sure, but they pressured Foles into some bad throws. That can be just as good as a sack. Plus don't forget the players missing on the line - Redding and Rucker

Maybe because it was turf? At his age maybe they're only playing him on grass.:shrug:

No he played. On the radio broadcast they said he dropped into coverage on the play where HB blitzed and almost got Foles.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think CC has turned out to be a bust that guy is way to talented to just disappear the way he does.

I think front seven needs to be a priority in this up coming draft

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rams O sucks outlaid and Gurley has been shut-down the last three weeks... but that being said, the D did exactly what they should have done today and shut down and awful O. Was happy to see there was no screwing around today.

I still think our lack of consistent pass-rush could be our ultimate downfall, but even as is, this D is good enough to win in the playoffs with. But man... they're really just one really good pass rusher away from being as complete a team as pretty much possible. Hopefully they get one next year... for our Super Bowl Title Defense!

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dude.... The Rams have been atrocious lately. Don't know how much I would prop this game up as an "example".

They have had our number lately and they usually play good, physical defense. Even though they haven't played well lately, they tend to always play well against us and I am happy for the win.

OP
OP
nashman

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rolling up 524 yards of offense on a good defense on the road is a statement win no matter how you look at it! Our D shutting down a top 3 back in the league and not giving up a single TD in an NFL game also very impressive!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wont be surprised if Campbell will be traded in the off season...too many games where he disappeared.even arians called him out several Times ..I think he is more involved in comunity Services and fundraising instead of work his ass off in the field

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think CC has turned out to be a bust that guy is way to talented to just disappear the way he does.

I wont be surprised if Campbell will be traded in the off season...too many games where he disappeared.even arians called him out several Times ..I think he is more involved in comunity Services and fundraising instead of work his ass off in the field

I am somewhat surprised that we are seeing CC's name being called during games but that's because he is a BEAST not because he's a bust. :slap:

We are down two of our starters on the Dline so of course CC is getting double teamed all game long. He also plays DE in a 3 - 4 defense so typically they don't get a bunch of stats.

I do think he has a rib injury which is limiting him some. When BA calls CC out he typically says he is playing great he just wants to see him kick it up a notch and be more consistent.

Trading or cutting CC is complete nonsense. :doi:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

a bust? come on now.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards have the top 5 Defense in yds per game, points per game, first downs allowed (actually #1) 3rd down efficiency, rushing yds per game, QB completion % (57.9).

Where we suck is penalties and penalty yards, we are the worst in both categories.

We are 24th in sacks which sucks. I don't know where to get stats on QB hurries, hits and knock downs but I can't imagine we are top 5 in those categories.

We could improve on explosive plays allowed but that will be a challenge as long as we have to blitz as much as we do.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
i wont be surprised if campbell will be traded in the off season...too many games where he disappeared.even arians called him out several times ..i think he is more involved in comunity services and fundraising instead of work his ass off in the field

"your nuts"

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson