The Blind Side

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So just a disclaimer: I am probably the biggest "Blind Side" apologist out there. This is just one of my favorite movies of all-time and it is on the list with "Shawshank" as a movie I can watch over and over and never get tired of it.

Everything you said is correct. There are some discrepancies in the movie and what really happened.

- The Touhys did NOT take Oher home the time in the rain as portrayed in the movie, they took him to a bus stop.

- Oher played football before, and was not the total novice as portrayed in the movie.

- Oher's high school coach took a position with Ole Miss shortly after he signed - that was not in the movie, either.

That said, they did make a big deal out of the fact that the Touhy's were boosters and that was at both the beginning and the end of the movie.

And Oher did make the dean's list at Ole Miss after both his sophomore and Sr. seasons. He has a degree in criminal justice. Also, I think Collins was in the same class as him, but they did not show her at graduation.

Fair enough criticism, but does not dampen my enjoyment of the book or movie. :)

Yep totally agree it's a great story and Oher did prove at Ole Miss he was a legit student I don't think you can make Deans List and last 4 years at most schools just taking "rocks for jocks" type classes.

I think it's obvious his early GPA was more due to his insane home life than to not being a good student.

The unfortunate thing about what they did do is that there are a ton of schools and individuals using that as a blueprint to get athletes in who are
terrible students and can't qualify through the diploma mill prepschool route now because the NCAA closed that loophole. Schools that hadn't thought it up themselves got the idea from the book.

Students who have the LD tag are not only given great leeway in the classroom and on standardized tests, the rules for BYU online are totally different which is why his tutor was able to be so involved in his online courses.

All you have to do is hear Oher speak for a minute and you can tell he's a bright kid.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I recently watched it. Enjoyed it a lot.

I can't stand country music, but there's something about Tim McGraw that I really like. I've seen three of his films and for some reason his character always stands out to me. I thought he was great in this.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I finally got around to watching this, I kmow I'm really late to the game.

I enjoyed it a lot............ Oh and, Sandra Bullock is hot!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While that is very true, it most certainly was NOT an Oscar worthy performance. It was simply her turn.

I don't know about that. I didn't hear any sentiment about her getting an Oscar until this movie.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might well be correct. However, there are things from both sides that don't seem to add up.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn