The Biggest Problems Facing the NFL’s 0-3 Teams

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/...ams-biggest-problems-cardinals-texans-raiders

Arizona Cardinals (0-3): The Punchless Offense

A botched third-and-2 play in the Cardinals’ 16-14 loss to the Bears on Sunday is a microcosm of everything that’s wrong with their offense thus far. With the ball at the Chicago 42-yard line and two minutes to go, the Cardinals needed to pick up just 2 yards to move the chains and keep the drive alive. Rookie quarterback Josh Rosen handed off to backup running back Chase Edmonds—inexplicably on the field for a healthy David Johnson—who lost 3 yards.

You must be registered for see images

Let’s start first with the fact it was Rosen, and not the game’s starter, Sam Bradford, lining up under center. Instead of benching Bradford after an ineffective first two weeks (3.98 yards per attempt, 55.6 rating, zero touchdowns, two interceptions) and giving Rosen a full slate of first-team reps in preparation for the Bears defense, the Cardinals stuck with Bradford until the 4:31 mark of the fourth quarter before calling on Rosen to come in cold and engineer a game-winning drive against one of the most devastating defensive fronts in football.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The Cardinals’ decision over the offseason to sign Bradford to a one-year, $20 million deal was questionable enough, but the choice to give Rosen the reins at that point in the game borders on negligence. But the rookie passer hung tough, completing passes of 9, 4, 10, and 8 yards on the drive to set Arizona up with that fateful third-and-2 as the two-minute warning hit. That’s when offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and the Cardinals coaching staff let Rosen down again, pulling Johnson from the game while dialing up a slow-developing counter run play to the left, which was blown up in the backfield.

Rosen was picked off on the next play, the punch line of a comedy of errors that highlighted Arizona’s two most troubling issues over the first three weeks of the season: poor execution and a puzzling strategy with the team’s best players. The latter, to me, is more egregious, and I’m not just talking about the delayed decision to turn to Rosen: Edmonds replaced Johnson in the most pivotal moment of the game, apparently, because the All-Pro missed a blitz pickup on the previous second-down play. Which had happened before the two-minute warning. You’d think they could’ve sorted it out during the break in the action.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Johnson’s been missing in action far too often this year. He has failed to gain much traction on the ground (34 rushes, 116 yards, one touchdown), and has barely been used as a pass catcher (10 catches, 63 yards, one touchdown), both symptoms of the team’s apparent preference for systems over personnel. When McCoy was hired, instead of adopting most of the offense the team ran last year under Bruce Arians, he brought with him new verbiage and a whole new scheme. That system has largely failed to deploy the all-world running back in a way that maximizes his uniquely versatile skill set: The vast majority of his runs have been concentrated right up the gut, making Arizona far too predictable while ignoring Johnson’s power and elusiveness in space. Worse yet, after playing the role of hybrid runner and receiver on the Cardinals’ 2016 squad, Johnson has mostly toiled in the backfield to line up for boring, traditional swing-pass and dump-off routes. Ironically, the one vertical route I’ve seen Johnson run this year turned into a touchdown.

It doesn’t help either that the line has struggled to block (Bradford was under pressure on 42 percent of snaps before being benched, third worst per Pro Football Focus), the receiver group is thin behind Larry Fitzgerald, and tight end Ricky Seals-Jones has yet to get very involved. Arizona’s scored just 20 points in three games (dead last), has gained a league-low 571 yards, and has run just 142 offensive plays. That puts them on pace to run just 757 plays this season, which would come well short of last year’s low (927 by the Bengals) and would be the lowest since the league moved to 16 games. The lack of offense has, in turn, put a lot of pressure on the defense, which has been on the field for 211 plays, tied for third most in the league.

Rosen could create a spark, but McCoy must recalibrate the offense to accentuate the rookie’s skill set best. The former UCLA star has a good arm and experience in pro-style schemes, but McCoy would do well to mitigate the issues the team has in pass protection by designing schemes that get the ball out of Rosen’s hands quickly while leaning more heavily on deception.

Upping the amount of play-action would be a nice start; Bradford ran play-action fakes on just 11.4 percent of his dropbacks over the first three weeks, 30th out of 31 qualifying passers per Pro Football Focus, and upping the frequency of those plays could help exploit overly aggressive defenses primed to bring pressure. Rosen was best in college when he played on schedule, so drawing up schemes that get Fitzgerald open early in his routes, perhaps using bunch and trips formations that help give him a free release, could give the rookie signal-caller a security blanket to rely on over the middle. Christian Kirk—a favorite target for Rosen in preseason action—offers run-after-the-catch potential in the screen game and should provide another quick-throw option on the outside. Most importantly, the Cardinals need to deploy Johnson like the movable mismatch creator that he was in 2016. There’s still hope for this offense, but not unless we see major shifts in scheme.​

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One more week like the first 3 and I gotta think that McCoy is gone on Monday morning. Bidwill has to be absolutely seething watching this sh1tshow.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Really hoping that Rosen is not being put in a position where he will fail, because his coaches fail him.

I'm worried that if he looks bad because of poor coaching, then the Cardinals organization will give up on him, and he'll go to another team. Thomas Jones. Kyle Vanden Bosch Jake Plummer. Garrison Hearst. All guys that left the Cards and were super successful with other franchises. Would hate to see Rosen join that list.

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
I look at that play and see Mason Cole get demolished by the Chicago defender. I don't see DJ fairing better on that play. While I may not like the play call, the execution was terrible by the center, it looked like the rest of the line made decent blocks, and Edmunds or DJ could have gotten the first down.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Good on Mitch getting linked to from The Ringer. Bad on the Ringer for linking to a fan site. IIRC, Humphries (in particular) was thrilled with the change in the offense, and we replaced 4 WR, 3 OL and 3 QB from the previous regime — basically starting from scratch.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rosen should have been on the move. Had he bootleg this play he might have been able to run for the first down. Dumbest call I've seen in quite some time.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I look at that play and see Mason Cole get demolished by the Chicago defender. I don't see DJ fairing better on that play. While I may not like the play call, the execution was terrible by the center, it looked like the rest of the line made decent blocks, and Edmunds or DJ could have gotten the first down.

That a great point...but when the Bears d-line guys see who's in the backfield...why wouldn't they blow up the play??? In other words...if DJ is back there...maybe just maybe their mindset is slightly altered as to what is about to happen and a couple of those Bears defenders look for a quick slant from Larry or Kirk to gain 3 yards.

Personnel makes a HUGE difference...but sadly not in McCoys predictability. Easy play for the Bears defense. Easy...easy.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing is, DJ is 20 pounds heavier than Edmunds and has the ability to shake tacklers. He might have not gotten the first down because the defense blew up the line but he could have gotten back to the LOS setting up a 4th and 2 instead of a 4th and 5.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rosen should have been on the move. Had he bootleg this play he might have been able to run for the first down. Dumbest call I've seen in quite some time.
Reminded me of our loss to the Rams in 2015 when we had a 2nd and 2 and BA calls for 3 straight passes which ended up costing us the game.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Reminded me of our loss to the Rams in 2015 when we had a 2nd and 2 and BA calls for 3 straight passes which ended up costing us the game.

The one where David Johnson fumbled the kickoff? That series happened on the STL43; even a first down wouldn't have gotten us into field goal range.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We could use Ask Madden and get better play calls. But I blame Wilks too. Dude has Chase Edmonds playing too much . Plus he looks lost. This is Ken Whisenhunt part 2 . He almost never played Kurt Warner . His trust the system press conferences were horrible. Wilks and in all honesty why did he get the job? We needed an offensive minded coach because we had a good defense already . We have arguably the best back in football and we litterally run him up the middle every play . This reminds me of how the HC from the Rams (name escapes me) Mr 7-9 made Gurley bad.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Johnson didn't miss the block 2 plays before that... maybe 3 before that ... but c'mon ...

This HC and OC are still over their had and how they handled the situation was bad...

the 3 and 2 was in 4th down territory ... if you wanna run you get into jumbo package and shove the ball into the defenses mouth ...
But in 99% of the plays you call a pass, a screen pass with at least 1 deep threat and if that gets totally open you throw that TD, if you miss, 4th and 2 on 46 around 60 yard FG or jumbo package extra tackle and run the 2 yards ... but ... yeah.

Maybe this is to logic for McDofy, worst OC in the NFL and College and AAL or how it is called?

Oh and yes, another thing, any O-line that protects - the worst QB woth 7+ seconds ballholding not stepping up SammyMoneyrobberBradford

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We could use Ask Madden and get better play calls. But I blame Wilks too. Dude has Chase Edmonds playing too much . Plus he looks lost. This is Ken Whisenhunt part 2 . He almost never played Kurt Warner . His trust the system press conferences were horrible. Wilks and in all honesty why did he get the job? We needed an offensive minded coach because we had a good defense already . We have arguably the best back in football and we litterally run him up the middle every play . This reminds me of how the HC from the Rams (name escapes me) Mr 7-9 made Gurley bad.
You can say what you want about Whisenhunt, but he is head and shoulders a better coach than Wilks. He is also a very competent OC, just not a good HC.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The one where David Johnson fumbled the kickoff? That series happened on the STL43; even a first down wouldn't have gotten us into field goal range.
A first down would have given us a whole new set of downs. There was over 2 minutes left in that game. Here is the play sequence and time in the game:

2:11-1st and 10 at Cards 49: DJ around right end for 8 yards to the Rams 43. 2 minute warning
2:00-2nd and 2: Pass incomplete short left to DJ
1:57-3rd and 2: Pass incomplete deep left for Jaron Brown
1:50-4th and 2: Pass incomplete short middle to DJ

The Cards had all 3 timeouts at the start of that drive which actually started on the Cards 37. So get the first down to the Rams 41 at least and they had all 3 timeouts and the 2 minute warning to get into FG range but instead BA goes pass, pass, pass and we lose the ball and the game.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201510040crd.htm

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
A first down would have given us a whole new set of downs. There was over 2 minutes left in that game. Here is the play sequence and time in the game:

2:11-1st and 10 at Cards 49: DJ around right end for 8 yards to the Rams 43. 2 minute warning
2:00-2nd and 2: Pass incomplete short left to DJ
1:57-3rd and 2: Pass incomplete deep left for Jaron Brown
1:50-4th and 2: Pass incomplete short middle to DJ

The Cards had all 3 timeouts at the start of that drive which actually started on the Cards 37. So get the first down to the Rams 41 at least and they had all 3 timeouts and the 2 minute warning to get into FG range but instead BA goes pass, pass, pass and we lose the ball and the game.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201510040crd.htm
We would have gotten the ball back if the D could’ve stopped Gurley.