The biggest game of the year.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This week we play the 7-2 Detroit Lions in what is likely the biggest game left on the schedule.

We already have earned tie-breakers with the NFC East. The NFC South is not competing for a first-round bye.

The Lions (and if they falter, the Packers, but if they falter I'm counting on our win to be part of the reason) become our stumbling block for the #1 seed, should we carry this division. Looking at the Lions brings two conclusions... they have had a lot of struggles and found themselves fairly lucky to win some close games. On the other hand, the exact same thing can be said about the Cardinals. They have the #1 defense in the NFL, a very good QB and a strong receiving core. They can say almost the same thing about us.

This is not a must-win game. But, should we win this game, we have a strong, strong path to a potential first round bye and even the #1 seed. 4 of our last 6 are on the road (Falcons, and the three division opponents). That said, with a 2 game lead on the division, a win against the Lions, and with us winning a game or two that we 'should' win, it is likely enough to secure home field throughout.

With a loss this Sunday, followed by a trip to a Seattle team seeing a chance to even up the division at home, we could see second-guessing and doubt from fans, the media, and more importantly, the players in newly minted starter Drew Stanton.

Bring the noise, Sunday Cardinals fans... I feel this is a 'need' game and I hope all of the rest of you fortunate enough to be there this Sunday screams your head off.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a quality post and I fully agree. Sure we can recover if we lose this game but why go through all that drama and hassle? Wind the game and put the pressure on everyone else.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Yep - if the Cardinals were to go into Seattle coming off a loss (and assuming that the Seahawks win this week), there will be blood in the water.

Can't let that happen.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9er look to have it the easiest from here on in with games against Giants, skins, raiders and chargers.... All teams the Cards beat. Stupid Saints let that game get away last week.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good post Toad.

Though I disagree about it being a must win. If we win it's everything for this team. Everything. Tiebreakers and all. If we lose its a deflater for our team and Stanton and I really believe we come back to reality.

We win and I think this whole team is infused with confidence, even more, and we go on a run.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9er look to have it the easiest from here on in with games against Giants, skins, raiders and chargers.... All teams the Cards beat. Stupid Saints let that game get away last week.

that would have been a monster L for the Niners.

CoachKlein

Rookie
Reaction score
This is true. I think this game means more than even the Seattle game the week after. Stanton needs to get a W to build everyone up and for the team to keep rollin with confidence. Not to mention possible seeding for the post season (if we get there). This game means a ton!

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
We need this win and a win against Seattle next week. We will have our best chance at a Super Bowl with home field advantage. We might as well win. I think we match up well against Seattle and could sweep them. They have no good receivers left. If we stop their running game we should win.

OP
OP
TigToad

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think it is 'must win'. In fact, I said it wasn't must win. But, it is definitely a huge game, probably the biggest left on the schedule. _If_ we win it, I think it changes the perspective and goals for the remainder of the season.

The real fear is losing this one, and next week @Seattle, puts us on our heels instead of our opponents.

Good post Toad.

Though I disagree about it being a must win. If we win it's everything for this team. Everything. Tiebreakers and all. If we lose its a deflater for our team and Stanton and I really believe we come back to reality.

We win and I think this whole team is infused with confidence, even more, and we go on a run.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The media continues to doubt us.

If we beat the Lions we will have defeated the top teams in 2 divisions. The media will say, " Yes, but now they have to play Seattle IN Seattle."

If we lose they are going to say the party is over..Palmers gone ..yadda yadda.

If we beat the Lions and then go into Seattle and defeat them I don't know what ANYBODY could say.

I hope the media keeps doubting.

I don't think this is a MUST game but it certainly is a statement game. Maybe more importantly Seattle cannot gain any ground us if we win. We keep the 2 game cushion meaning a loss in Seattle would STILL keep us in control of our own destiny and the division.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completely disagree. Biggest game of the year will be in Seattle next week. You need to win your division before you worry about home field in the playoffs.

Losing this game means almost nothing in the grand scheme of things. It brings our record into a tie with the Lions and I highly doubt we will be tied at the end of the season.

Meanwhile, the only way Seattle can catch us is by beating us.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a big game in a few ways. Beating another top NFC team and gives us another 1 up for a wildcard, if we somehow get taken out by Seattle twice and then they own the west. Don't see that happening, but every win right now is huge. IMO, wins need to come against lions, Seahawks (at least once), Falcons and Rams. A win against SF or Chiefs would be huge too (obviously SF more). The way things are panning out, it seems that a team that is going to win the NFC west is going to have to be 13-3 or 12-4. Saints killed us for sure with the loss last week. SF still in the mix. If the Chiefs can beat Seattle this weekend, that would be huge.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every game moving forward will be the biggest game of the year. Must get home feild advantage!

Fitz Rulz

Registered
Reaction score
We have been challenged this year in so manygames and still more to come

vs Philly (at the time best 2 records)
@ Cowboys (even without Romo)
vs Rams (their 2 wins against Seattle & 49ers)
then this week again best 2 records in NFC

Home games are sacred and should be won this is a must win game. we are going on the road against Seattle then @Falcons. Though Falcons are terrible but we don't have much luck at the dome there.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have been challenged this year in so manygames and still more to come

vs Philly (at the time best 2 records)
@ Cowboys (even without Romo)
vs Rams (their 2 wins against Seattle & 49ers)
then this week again best 2 records in NFC

Home games are sacred and should be won this is a must win game. we are going on the road against Seattle then @Falcons. Though Falcons are terrible but we don't have much luck at the dome there.

Yea, Falcons game was what I was worried about too. Not so much now, being the confidence this team has right now. We win Sunday, the team will be on the ultimate high going into the Seattle game. Need to stay healthy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we need to win all home games. period. we do that, we're looking at 11 wins and some kind of playoff birth considering we should own pretty much every tie-breaker there is to win at that point, whether it be head-to-head or conference record.

but if we want to win the division (assuming we take care of business this week), the biggest game of the season, bar none will be week 16 at home versus Seattle. That will be the biggest game of all.

Until then, each game is huge. gotta stay ahead of them because as much as I believe in the grit of this team, next week @ Seattle would take something miraculous to win there with our backup QB.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we need to win all home games. period. we do that, we're looking at 11 wins and some kind of playoff birth considering we should own pretty much every tie-breaker there is to win at that point, whether it be head-to-head or conference record.

but if we want to win the division (assuming we take care of business this week), the biggest game of the season, bar none will be week 16 at home versus Seattle. That will be the biggest game of all.

Until then, each game is huge. gotta stay ahead of them because as much as I believe in the grit of this team, next week @ Seattle would take something miraculous to win there with our backup QB.

Well put and accurate

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheese, remember that Palmer threw, what, 5 picks in the game up there last year and they still won. If Stanton can limit it to 4 picks, they'll win!!! :D

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Completely disagree. Biggest game of the year will be in Seattle next week. You need to win your division before you worry about home field in the playoffs.

Losing this game means almost nothing in the grand scheme of things. It brings our record into a tie with the Lions and I highly doubt we will be tied at the end of the season.

Meanwhile, the only way Seattle can catch us is by beating us.

you are mistaken.

You win your division by having the best overall record.......a few years back Oakland swept their division but were 6-10....last place in the division.

Beating the Lions not only adds a W which helps us to WIN OUR DIVISION....but also provides a buffer for tie breakers in the event the Lions have the same record at seasons end... if we lose and have the same record as the Lions, we have to play in Detroit if we face them.

From both an overall season perspective as well as a playoff perspective this game is a must win....unfortunately so is Seattle next week.

at this point the only thing our 8 wins guarantees right now is that we go at least .500 on the year,..not a losing season,...so that is good.....but we need to pull out four more wins this season...and I would really prefer more,..not to be gready but from the standpoint that heading in to the playoffs is not a good time to be playing .500 caliber ball.

if the only two remaining games we lose are two against the seahags,...we win the division and home field IMO....but we have to win this one.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will be fine if they treat all games like the biggest until they clinch.

exgi20

Reaction score
Lions fan here. As usual I go to the next opponents boards and get a feel about their fans thoughts about the upcoming game. My first thought is who would of "thunk", both these teams would have been in this situation at the start of the year. I come to talk football, and I never flame, nor will I answer to flames.

Two historically underachieving franchises, now in the limelight. I've read the conversation on ESPN, and some of the cards boards, and lions boards. Seems like fans of both teams want their team respected nationally. But a lot of fans are disrespecting the other teams accomplishments which got them this far. I respect what the Cards have done this year, and I don't have to tear them down, to show what a great year my team is having so far. Besides, we both have to finish the season :).

My lions come back to Arizona, on a losing streak. With that being said, In my opinion, this will be a very tight game. It seems like you guys are the masters of capitalizing on turnovers. A great defense, a good offense with a run problem. My Leo's haven't gotten quite the number of turnovers this year. But have a great offense, with a run problem.

Matthew Stafford has been adequate this year. Not so many interceptions, and he is throwing the ball away more. He's not putting up the fantasy numbers he has been in recent years, but he's not turning the ball over so much. The question here in Detroit, is whether the new offensive coordinator is playing very conservative? Or is he going to open up our playbook, now that we have Calvin and our tight ends back? Just like other teams we have taken our injury hits.....it seems primarily to be our offensive skill players. Calvin is back, and I've read that all 3 tight ends (Pettigrew, Fauria, and Ebron), may be available for Sunday's games. That allows us to open up the playbook some, if that was Joe Lombardi's concern. Our tight ends from the waiver wire and practice squad have been invisible. We lost our 1st string RT in our first game, and our backup got hurt the same game. Looks like we might have our RT back, but our starting RG is ailing. Not sure if he is playing or not, Caldwell is tight lipped about injuries. Golden Tate has been our offensive player of the year so far...putting up great numbers and just being clutch when it counted. Our running game needs work. Not sure if it's because we are getting used to Lombadi's (New Orleans lite), offense or because of the injury problems on the line. This same offensive line was ranked top 5 at the end of last year.

Defensively, we get after the quarterback. Not matter what you think about Suh, the man is an absolute beast. And the Cards will have to keep 2 lineman on him. When we drafted Ziggy Ansah, I was like "really"? But I was completely wrong. He's fast, agile, and really quick off the end. Although Teryl Austin, our new defensive coordinator, lines him up all over the place. A name that people should know on our offense is, Deandre Levy, OLB. He should have made the pro bowl last year. Lead lb's in interceptions last year, and is having another fantastic year. If Suh wasn't so dominating this year. I would have to say Levy was our defensive player of the year at this point. Jim Schwartz, our previous head coach, played a very vanilla defensive scheme. 4 man rush, and secondary zone. Austin is much different he allows our cb's to press. Hence the improvement in secondary play. Darius Slay, a second year player from Mississippi State, played press in college. Schwartz scheme, mostly zone, he was lost and benched last year. This year is a complete 180, since he is pressing most of the time. The cornerbacks are still the weakest position on our D. But we have a great safety tandem in Glover and Ihedigbo. Glover is the deep ranger of the 2 with great hands. Ihedigbo is the thumper. Outstanding in supporting the run, hard hitter. And he has a couple of picks this year.

We've lost two games this year. To Carolina and Buffalo. The Buffalo game....well 3 missed field goals will come back to haunt you. The Carolina game....2 missed field goals and fumbles within your opponents redzone will haunt you too.

Any questions about my Leo's, I'll be checking this post. This board seems to be more knowledgeable, and enemy friendly. Here's to an injury free game, (We know either team doesn't need anymore). I believe my Leo's will win one in a squeaker. Look forward to conversating with you all.

Attachments

• lions center.jpg
    lions center.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 110

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great post--we always welcome opposing teams' fans if they can just talk football--which clearly you can.

I don't disagree with most of what you said, other than I think the Cardinals will win one in a squeaker. :)

Very excited about this game; it will be a good one, for sure.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you are mistaken.

No I am not. Watch the magic of first grade math in action.

Cardinals are up 2 games

Seattle plays the Cardinals twice

+2 edge - 2 Losses = 0 Seattle owns the tie breaker

So the Cards can go 13-3 and still lose the division and end up in the wild card.

Thus, the winning the Lions game is not as important as beating Seattle.

Now lets say the Lions game is a loss and we split with Seattle.

Still a zero (2-2) but the Cards have a better division record and conference record. Thus, they have the tie breaker

The Lions game still doesn't matter.

The only reason the Lions game would matter is for division winner seeding and wild card tie breakers.

If you win your division, you don't worry about half that problem. You lose your division, you worry about all those problems.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard