The Ayton Plan

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I was listening to a PHNX podcast today. They mentioned the reason we haven't heard anything from the Suns or Deandre Ayton about the signed matched offer sheet is because it has to be officially approved by the league office.

It appears this is a formality pending a physical and such.
Agreed

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the Suns statement.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That doesn't sound like Ayton-speak but I'll take it. Anything beats the heck out of losing him.

It reads like it was a part of the Suns statement. Hopefully we get some video soon.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exclusive article by Marc J. Spears of ESPN:

"This is a blessing," Ayton told ESPN's Andscape in a phone conversation after signing his contract. "This contract not only has generational impact for my family, but also with the way we are able to work in the Phoenix community and home in the Bahamas. That is the things that we go by ...

"I've come to understand that this is a business. So, I was more anxious to know the end of the result so I could focus, move on, and just get back to work. I just treated everything like a business. Just keep being professional, approach everything with professionalism and not looking too deep into it."

------------------------------------------------

Ayton made his first comments since that Game 7 he described as "in the past." He also said he and Williams are on good terms and described their relationship as "calm."

"Game 7 was an anomaly. We let that get away from us as a team. That is all in the past. We're going to look forward. We are going to move on," Ayton said without going into detail.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Believe it or not but money does heal all wounds. Ayton may have felt disrespected but he has $133M reasons to feel respected now.
It might, but if it does it just means he is a mercenary, which isn't a good thing if you want him to reach his potential.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It might, but if it does it just means he is a mercenary, which isn't a good thing if you want him to reach his potential.

Wouldn't 99% of nba players fall into that category? The only one i can think of that is not, is Biz. Giving up his entire league minimum paycheck, the guy is a saint.

I do commend Harden for taking a 15M paycut, rarely do we see that from a star. Did he dogg it last year, yes, but his talent still commands top dollar.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wouldn't 99% of nba players fall into that category? The only one i can think of that is not, is Biz. Giving up his entire league minimum paycheck, the guy is a saint.

I do commend Harden for taking a 15M paycut, rarely do we see that from a star. Did he dogg it last year, yes, but his talent still commands top dollar.
I don't think it's 99%.

My point is, I don't think the very best players are. They are more motivated by maximizing their skills and trying to create a legacy.

As far as Harden goes, I don't think he is dogging it, he has just lost a step, and if he has lost his ability to drive consistently his whole offensive game is severely compromised.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think it's 99%.

My point is, I don't think the very best players are. They are more motivated by maximizing their skills and trying to create a legacy.

As far as Harden goes, I don't think he is dogging it, he has just lost a step, and if he has lost his ability to drive consistently his whole offensive game is severely compromised.

I understand what you're saying. Top talents that we consider the top 10-20 players want to win and compete, something we don't see in Ayton at times.

Harden got fat and maybe lost himself there for a bit, and the refs stopped calling fouls on his patented moves.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
A lot of kumbaya!

This will be interesting. Many on this board insisted vehemently that this outcome was absolutely impossible. The Suns apparently disagree, and we'll get to watch the season unfold to see who was right.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's 99%.

I just don't believe you can separate money this way. Rarely does anyone do something for just one reason. I can't think of a single superstar that wasn't already taken care of finanicially (previous contracts, endorsements etc.) that ever left money on the table.

I think Monty covered it accurately when he said no matter what any player or coach says, it's always about the money in one way or another.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will be interesting. Many on this board insistend vehemently that this outcome was absolutely impossible. The Suns apparently disagree, and we'll get to watch the season unfold to see who was right.

It's halfway to the best outcome.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chances of DeAndre Ayton maturing as a person over the length of this contract--95%. This is because 95% percent of young men mature significantly between the ages of 23 and 27.

Hope his game matures as well.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chances of DeAndre Ayton maturing as a person over the length of this contract--95%. This is because 95% percent of young men mature significantly between the ages of 23 and 27.

Hope his game matures as well.

You would think the kick in the pants would be the child he just had

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would think the kick in the pants would be the child he just had
I was (maturity-wise) a very young 21 year old when my son was born. It definitely matured me in some ways but it also gave me someone to be a kid with. By the time he was 5 years old we were spending a lot of time together watching cartoons and playing Pong then advanced to video games as the fledgling industry developed. So, maybe yes, maybe no.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It certainly will be interesting to see how Monty utilizes him. If it is more of the same as usual I think Ayton's same frustrations will show up again and it will lead to a trade.

If he makes an effort to make him a bigger part of the offense it will go a long way towards showing they are commited to him being a big part of the future.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
DA seems like a good kid overall - I believe he'll bounce back.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to this James Jones told Ayton all along that he planned on resigning him. Told him again during a July 1st video call. So, it sounds like the Suns were fielding calls to trade Ayton but nothing ever reached serious talks. Likely because his value wasn't as high as expected on the available market. James Jones played this right. Without some blockbuster offer Ayton wasn't going anywhere. In the meantime, you tell Ayton your "plan" so you can say that was always the intention. JJ is no idiot.

There was still smoke though or the Indiana offer sheet NEVER would have happened. If Ayton's camp was totally convinced? They wouldn't have negotiated with Indiana to sign the offer sheet. They would have said, don't bother. It takes two to tango so Ayton's camp must have expressed interested to play there.

"Phoenix general manager James Jones said he told Ayton through the entire free agency process that he planned to re-sign him, including during a videoconference on July 1."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose