The Ayton Plan

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne can't start in this league. If Cam Payne is your day to day starter you are not making the playoffs. Guys are paid to fill in small gaps when other guys are out. That's the MOST you can expect a guy like Cam Payne to do. He will never be a day to day starter on a playoff team.

Cam Payne has delivered quite well as a starter. I'm not saying I want him as our starter but I think he could start on a playoff team, just not a contender.

He's more than capable as a temporary starter, around 10-20 games a year. Which is better than a lot of backup PG's on contenders.

I'm not sure why this is even being debated though. I said PGotF is a luxury for a contender, not a need. It'd be nice to have one but we don't need one. PG is not a problem that needs to be addressed right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 sounds done. Doesn't sound like he even cares what happens.

The perceived indifference many of us see or feel is more pronounced after game 6 of the playoffs with the Mavericks.

I don't get it. I'd rather see anger than indifference.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton did not make it to the softball game. Interesting considering McGee is a FA and Ayton is part of the team LOL

It was McGee's softball game that he organized for his charity, of course he was playing.

Ayton is also a free agent, albeit restricted. I don't see reason to read into his participation or lack thereof.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam Payne has delivered quite well as a starter. I'm not saying I want him as our starter but I think he could start on a playoff team, just not a contender.

He's more than capable as a temporary starter, around 10-20 games a year. Which is better than a lot of backup PG's on contenders.

I'm not sure why this is even being debated though. I said PGotF is a luxury for a contender, not a need. It'd be nice to have one but we don't need one. PG is not a problem that needs to be addressed right now.
Cam Payne did well filling in on a limited bases. That's what you pay bench players for. So, we shouldn't be shocked if a bench player does the job he is being paid for. Payne wasn't even close to the same player last year on a team that dominated most of the league in the regular season. His 3 point shooting was abysmal. His +/- was horrible when on the floor. He didn't have back to back double digit games after mid-march and was just terrible the rest of the way and into the playoffs.

PGotF might be a luxury but we have to start thinking about that now don't we? I mean Paul is on his last leg here. He is hurt all the time. Can't be counted on. It would be nice to get someone young on the roster and give them time to develop. However, I agree it's a luxury for a team in WIN NOW mode. I think we are more desperate for a second starting PG. I mean desperate. Cam Payne is not the answer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I disagree. I think point guard is an area of need. Ideally the Suns should have drafted a point guard and be grooming him for the future.

The Mavericks just ran over the Suns in the playoffs with their three point guards. The Suns reserves couldn't compete with them.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. I think point guard is an area of need. Ideally the Suns should have drafted a point guard and be grooming him for the future.

The Mavericks just ran over the Suns in the playoffs with their three point guards. The Suns reserves couldn't compete with them.
I am halfway with Hoop on this and you. I mean PG is 100% a point of need on this team. However, a Veteran PG. Not a rookie who won't contribute for a couple years. We are in win now mode. Having a young rookie PG wouldn't have helped us against the Mavs. I also doubt Monty plays a young player that much anyway.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am halfway with Hoop on this and you. I mean PG is 100% a point of need on this team. However, a Veteran PG. Not a rookie who won't contribute for a couple years. We are in win now mode. Having a young rookie PG wouldn't have helped us against the Mavs. I also doubt Monty plays a young player that much anyway.

I've made myself abundantly clear about the 2020 draft.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Everything I've read is that the Hawks are really high on Okungwu which is one reason they are shopping Collins so hard. Trae, Hunter, and Okungwu are who the key pieces they want to keep.

The perceived indifference many of us see or feel is more pronounced after game 6 of the playoffs with the Mavericks.

Yeah you wonder is CP3 just going to come by for the check.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Everything I've read is that the Hawks are really high on Okungwu which is one reason they are shopping Collins so hard. Trae, Hunter, and Okungwu are who the key pieces they want to keep.

You wonder is CP3 just going to come by for the check

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've made myself abundantly clear about the 2020 draft.
I gotcha. However, the same post above you talked about drafting a young PG and then the Suns not having enough PG help. I took that as you thought a young PG could help against the Mavs. I was specifically referring to that. That player would never get off the bench with Monty and only a veteran PG could have helped against the Mavs. If you were not saying that, it wasn't clear.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotcha. However, the same post above you talked about drafting a young PG and then the Suns not having enough PG help. I took that as you thought a young PG could help against the Mavs. I was specifically referring to that. That player would never get off the bench with Monty and only a veteran PG could have helped against the Mavs. If you were not saying that, it wasn't clear.

I don't see any discrepancy with what I was saying. See below.

"I disagree. I think point guard is an area of need. Ideally the Suns should have drafted a point guard and be grooming him for the future.

The Mavericks just ran over the Suns in the playoffs with their three point guards. The Suns reserves couldn't compete with them."

------------------------------

If the Suns should somehow find a way to draft a point guard in the 2022 draft, he will likely take time to groom him. That doesn't mean they shouldn't draft one or it's a luxury.

Point guard is one of the most important positions on the court.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Chris Paul is that kind of player but I think he is sending a message to anyone listening.

IMO, there is a chemistry or coaching issue with the team.

The team was just raving about their comradery while meeting up for Mcgees softball game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team was just raving about their comradery while meeting up for Mcgees softball game.

I wouldn't expect anything else especially from those that attended.

What I didn't see much of in the Mavericks series (perhaps I missed it) is Chris Paul coaching up the team.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see any discrepancy with what I was saying. See below.

"I disagree. I think point guard is an area of need. Ideally the Suns should have drafted a point guard and be grooming him for the future.

The Mavericks just ran over the Suns in the playoffs with their three point guards. The Suns reserves couldn't compete with them."

------------------------------

If the Suns should somehow find a way to draft a point guard in the 2022 draft, he will likely take time to groom him. That doesn't mean they shouldn't draft one or it's a luxury.

Point guard is one of the most important positions on the court.
OK, then my response was appropriate. A young player doesn't get off the Bench for Monty nor does he move the needle with the Mavs IMO. If you are specifically referring to the 2022 draft then I agree with Hoop. It's a luxury right now. Don't get me wrong, if you have a roster spot and can draft one that would be great. However, the focus is a little different on team trying to win in the Paul window.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was McGee's softball game that he organized for his charity, of course he was playing.

Ayton is also a free agent, albeit restricted. I don't see reason to read into his participation or lack thereof.
Have you not been following this forum lately? Since our playoff embarrassment it seems like every word, every gesture, every action leads to sweeping generalizations about this team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, then my response was appropriate. A young player doesn't get off the Bench for Monty nor does he move the needle with the Mavs IMO. If you are specifically referring to the 2022 draft then I agree with Hoop. It's a luxury right now. Don't get me wrong, if you have a roster spot and can draft one that would be great. However, the focus is a little different on team trying to win in the Paul window.

My comments refer back to the 2020 draft.

I believe in having a young point guard in the pipeline long before he is needed to play.

Btw, it would take much to be better than Payne and Payton during the 2021-22 playoffs.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My comments refer back to the 2020 draft.

I believe in having a young point guard in the pipeline long before he is needed to play.

Btw, it would take much to be better than Payne and Payton during the 2021-22 playoffs.
I don't recall the details. I am assuming you are saying instead of Smith they should have drafted a PG at that pick? Who was available at that time? I don't recall.

Also, I seriously doubt a young PG still moves the needle much. The Suns had much bigger problems than point guard (even though that was one of them). To me you needed a player like Gordon to move the needle this playoffs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't recall the details. I am assuming you are saying instead of Smith they should have drafted a PG at that pick? Who was available at that time? I don't recall.

Also, I seriously doubt a young PG still moves the needle much. The Suns had much bigger problems than point guard (even though that was one of them).

This player would have moved the needle.

Tyrese Haliburton

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This player would have moved the needle.

Tyrese Haliburton
I have to agree the Suns missed on him. However, hindsight is 20/20. The Suns were trying to fill the roster with veterans with the players they had available. They also thought they had our future backup in Cam Payne. At the time, their choice was go with an unproven rookie who fell down the board draft night or go with Cam (who seemingly proved himself) and run with a future HOF in CP3. At the time Cam looked like a diamond in the rough. So I don't blame the Suns for thinking they didn't need Haliburton for the run they were about to make.

However, in hindsight it would have been a great to nail that pick and get him instead of taking Smith.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree that if the Suns missed on him. However, hindsight is 20/20. The Suns were trying to fill the roster with veterans with the players they had available. They also thought they had our future backup in Cam Payne. At the time, their choice was go with an unproven rookie who fell down the board draft night or go with Cam (who seemingly proved himself) and run with a future HOF in CP3. At the time Cam looked like a diamond in the rough. So I don't blame the Suns for thinking they didn't need Haliburton for the run they were about to make.

However, in hindsight it would have been a great to nail that pick and get him instead of taking Smith.

I would be happy if the Suns kept Smith. One less area of need.

We need something new to talk about. I'm so ready to talk about even a 2nd round pick.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bucher says sources are telling him Ayton won't be back. He talks about many trade scenarios. One with Irving landing with the Mavs. Seems like all eyes are on Detroit for a landing spot for Ayton. Man...this better be a 3 way team deal or the Suns are going to get screwed while the Mavs who beat us could potentially get better.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose