The Ayton Plan

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's over. There is no debate. Ayton will get what he wants from us or someone else.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don’t forget about Cam Johnson and Bookers Super-Max he’s gonna be up for.

This is where we see if Sarver is really willing to put up or shut up.

Ayton is getting that Max from us or someone else else

That article mentions Cam's extension. It wouldn't go into effect until Crowder's deal is done, which is good for the overall budget. Of course Cam is likely to make twice as much as Crowder. However if we don't dump Saric this off season then his deal will also expire then with Jae and both of their deals is about what Cam will likely be paid.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's over. There is no debate. Ayton will get what he wants from us or someone else.
My opinion all along was that it was always over. There was something to be gained by not giving him the 5 year max in September but that was just a matter of timing. The max was always in our plans, DA will control the specifics.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My opinion all along was that it was always over. There was something to be gained by not giving him the 5 year max in September but that was just a matter of timing. The max was always in our plans, DA will control the specifics.
Oh I agree. Since last season by the way. Go back and read the stats I kept posting through the year while everyone was focusing on every little thing he did wrong, his overall stats were building the case even if he was inconsistent. He went into overdrive last playoffs and continued through this season. My hope is that Ayton is a little flexible so we have cap space but that might be a pipe dream. He will be in the drivers seat.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I agree. Since last season by the way. Go back and read the stats I kept posting through the year while everyone was focusing on every little thing he did wrong, his overall stats were building the case even if he was inconsistent. He went into overdrive last playoffs and continued through this season. My hope is that Ayton is a little flexible so we have cap space but that might be a pipe dream. He will be in the drivers seat.
Yeah I think the chances of that are in or adjacent to non-existent territory. And I agree, his playoff run cemented his case for a max deal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think the chances of that are in or adjacent to non-existent territory. And I agree, his playoff run cemented his case for a max deal.
same. and I think if he doesn't get 5 years, there may be some uncomfortable moments coming our way in the off-season.

but I can't worry about that right now. not gonna look into the future where there might be issues when what's in front of our face is such a damn joy to watch.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to examine worst case scenarios.

I highly doubt Ayton chooses to play for the qualifying offer.

So as I understand it, the worse case scenario might be if Ayton signs an offer sheet with another team for four years with a player option for the 4th season with a 15% trade bonus and upfront money.

Another thought that concerns me, could Ayton sign a four year contract with another team with the last two years being player options. That might be even worse.

I'm hoping the Suns sign Ayton to the 5 year max but I'm guessing he would want a player option on the last year.

Regardless the Suns should match any offer.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like to examine worst case scenarios.

I highly doubt Ayton chooses to play for the qualifying offer.

So as I understand it, the worse case scenario might be if Ayton signs an offer sheet with another team for four years with a player option for the 4th season with a 15% trade bonus and upfront money.

Another thought that concerns me, could Ayton sign a four year contract with another team with the last two years being player options. That might be even worse.

I'm hoping the Suns sign Ayton to the 5 year max but I'm guessing he would want a player option on the last year.

Regardless the Suns should match any offer.

Yeah, worst case is a deal elsewhere that gives him an out after 2 years. That could screw us, even if we match. I think he'll lay an ultimatum on our front office before signing something like that though, go all in or I'll be out in 2 years.

I'd like to think we can reach an agreement for 4 years with a 5th year team option. Both sides get their way, for the most part.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, worst case is a deal elsewhere that gives him an out after 2 years. That could screw us, even if we match. I think he'll lay an ultimatum on our front office before signing something like that though, go all in or I'll be out in 2 years.

I'd like to think we can reach an agreement for 4 years with a 5th year team option. Both sides get their way, for the most part.

I think the option in bold is the most likely.

Last season I was hoping the Suns could have locked Ayton into a 5 year contract with no option years.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How does Ayton get what he wants for the most part in the above agreement? That’s apparently exactly what we offered last summer that Ayton turned down.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So will Ayton get paid or traded?
Paid. I don't for a moment think they will consider anything else unless DA forces them to. I can't envision a scenario where we are better going forward without him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does Ayton get what he wants for the most part in the above agreement? That’s apparently exactly what we offered last summer that Ayton turned down.
Yeah I don't see him settling for anything, last year it was max years or no conversation. This time we will give him whatever he wants. If we wants an option year (or two) to take best advantage of when the new TV deal kicks in, that's what we'll give him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't see him settling for anything, last year it was max years or no conversation. This time we will give him whatever he wants. If we wants an option year (or two) to take best advantage of when the new TV deal kicks in, that's what we'll give him.

The part in bold is why the Suns should have signed him to the max last season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The part in bold is why the Suns should have signed him to the max last season.
I disagree. I think we'll give him what he wants this offseason and that it worked out just the way JJ wanted it to once he realized there was no room for discussion.

They didn't want to use up their 2nd of 2 allotments allowed for the Designated Rookie Scale extension as it would have limited them in the future. Giving the 5th year to him now avoids that complication and has no net effect on the player's earnings potential.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. I think we'll give him what he wants this offseason and that it worked out just the way JJ wanted it to once he realized there was no room for discussion.

They didn't want to use up their 2nd of 2 allotments allowed for the Designated Rookie Scale extension as it would have limited them in the future. Giving the 5th year to him now avoids that complication and has no net effect on the player's earnings potential.

James Jones has been a genius at these things. I'm hoping it continues. It could have turned out messy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Because he wants the full max, that gives it to him. Yes, there is an option year but that wasn't in play last offseason. How you could say there was doesn't make sense since the team wasn't willing to go there because of the designated rookie slot it would have taken up. A lot of what came out about Ayton wanting the full max had to do with peers of his getting that, like MPJ, despite the last year of MPJ's deal not being guaranteed. It's perception to the public, he'll get 5 years, even if one of them is at the teams option. That's there and not something that needs to be negotiated again.

You can view it like what was offered last offseason but that 5th year wasn't in play for the Suns, at all. It being included gives the team a little flexibility as far as when Paul is gone.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton wanted the incentive laden 5 year max like Doncic received. He is not going to get that max... the super max.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because he wants the full max, that gives it to him. Yes, there is an option year but that wasn't in play last offseason. How you could say there was doesn't make sense since the team wasn't willing to go there because of the designated rookie slot it would have taken up. A lot of what came out about Ayton wanting the full max had to do with peers of his getting that, like MPJ, despite the last year of MPJ's deal not being guaranteed. It's perception to the public, he'll get 5 years, even if one of them is at the teams option. That's there and not something that needs to be negotiated again.

You can view it like what was offered last offseason but that 5th year wasn't in play for the Suns, at all. It being included gives the team a little flexibility as far as when Paul is gone.
Yeah… flexibility to not to commit a fifth year to Ayton. Same as last off-season. You’re arguing semantics and what you’re suggesting won’t get it done. Especially if he plays well and we win a title.

That will just be nickle and diming one of your franchise cornerstones.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton wanted the incentive laden 5 year max like Doncic received. He is not going to get that max... the super max.
I am not so sure. Espeically, if the Suns get the title. He can command whatever he wants. If he doesn’t get what he wants from the Suns he is gone and will bide his time until he gets what he wants.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not so sure. Espeically, if the Suns get the title. He can command whatever he wants. If he doesn’t get what he wants from the Suns he is gone and will bide his time until he gets what he wants.

The Suns can offer Ayton the most money in restricted free agency and I believe they will offer him that (the max) but it will not be the incentive laden 5 year, $207 million variety.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I think the Suns do a S&T with Ayton this offseason. I think Jones sells himself and the fan base on being a perimeter-oriented team that can still be successful with an average center:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns do a S&T with Ayton this offseason. I think Jones sells himself and the fan base on being a perimeter-oriented team that can still be successful with an average center:
I just don't see it unless DA refuses to sign a max deal here. And he'd have to be willing to take less than the max we can offer him if he forced a sign and trade.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson