The Ayton Plan

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems Indiana did not really want him that badly. No poison pills in the offer sheet, and no interest in a sign and trade when the suns were basically only asking for 2 first round picks says they really don't think that highly of him to me.

If the Pacers wouldn't part with the rumored trade offer of the Boston and Cleveland first round picks plus Myles Turner, it shows they weren't fully committed to going after Ayton. They would only make an offer sheet and leave it at that. It was a no risk situation for them.

IMO, it was mostly a show of good faith for the fans.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It seems Indiana did not really want him that badly. No poison pills in the offer sheet, and no interest in a sign and trade when the suns were basically only asking for 2 first round picks says they really don't think that highly of him to me.
Yeah, the whole $133 million contract offer meant they really didn’t want him that bad…

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, the whole $133 million contract offer meant they really didn’t want him that bad…
It's just a question of what they thought was the best use of the cap space. Apparently they believed Ayton was the best available use of it, but they don't think he is even worthy of two first rounders when he is a former #1 overall pick.

Considering the cleveland and boston 1sts are both most likely to be bottom of the round 1sts that is really a low cost for at worst the 5th best center in the league.

I mean try trading the 20th and 30th pick for the 1st overall and see how many times you can make that deal. The more I think about it the more I think the market really disrespected Ayton.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They offered a deal that was a no brainer for the Suns to match. There were no options or details that caused the Suns to think twice. The Suns made it clear they would match and the Pacers didn't seem to care if they did.

They could have had Ayton for a late 1st rounder from Boston and a lottery protected 1st from Cleveland plus Turner, who is expiring and would be unnecessary with Ayton signed. They would have retained their own 1st rounder so it's not like they're short of picks either.

They had some interest but only if he fell in their lap, basically.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Spurs had money but they were probably happy with Poeltl at center.

It looks like the Pacers and Spurs should do really well as a facilitator in trades, likely better than actively pursuing the remaining free agents.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Spurs had money but they were probably happy with Poeltl at center.

It looks like the Pacers and Spurs should do really well as a facilitator in trades, likely better than actively pursuing the remaining free agents.

There going into rebuild/tank mode

Why trade your 20 something all star for picks?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There going into rebuild/tank mode

Why trade your 20 something all star for picks?
Because Rich Paul informed the organization that he wasn't interested in signing an extension next year.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did he really?

It’s gonna be interesting to see how that agency develops once lebron is out of the league
It seems to be fairly entrenched within the industry so it will probably continue to do well once Lebron has moved on.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would be prone to believe that but then why sign the guy? I mean it was still a max contract they were going to give up.
Sign and trade negotiations failed, so their last ditch effort was to see if the Suns were bluffing.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
They have $14m on the books for 2024. The minimum salary they’d need to reach the cap floor is 90% of the salary cap. It was a worthwhile risk everything considered.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I Eric Paschal an UFA? That would be a nice pick up. He should get some bank though. I think he might be Indy's backup plan.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I Eric Paschal an UFA? That would be a nice pick up. He should get some bank though. I think he might be Indy's backup plan.
I think he’s still a FA and think he’d add some solid beef to the bench.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He hasn't been very good the last season or so. ESPN listed him as a minimum salary free agent. I'd definitely be happy with signing him. I know he's small but he's a bit of a banger and would be a solid backup PF.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He hasn't been very good the last season or so. ESPN listed him as a minimum salary free agent. I'd definitely be happy with signing him. I know he's small but he's a bit of a banger and would be a solid backup PF.
I would probably prefer him to Ish.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson