The Ayton Plan

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Even if Booker and Monty got into it with Ayton, you work it out.

The Celtics were really getting into it with each other during the Miami series yet they advanced.
They say Bird & McHale didn't get along all that well but they won 3 championships and you wouldn't have never guess that they didn't.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They say Bird & McHale didn't get along all that well but they won 3 championships and you wouldn't have never guess that they didn't.

The Suns need to get over everything has to be sunshine and lollipops. They could use a player or two that has an edge or a chip on his shoulder.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly what's needed. Someone who makes everyone accountable themselves included!!!

That was Chris Paul before it fell apart. I like players that abhor losing... like it's the worst thing in the world that can happen.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The reason for Smith's dramatic improvement is they started playing him at center. How ironic is that if the Suns trade Ayton.
When they took Jalen Smith part of me wondered if they weren’t positive Ayton was the COTF. Now they’ll likely have neither. Horrible roster management and mistrust of young players. Might as well have traded the pick.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was Chris Paul before it fell apart. I like players that abhor losing... like it's the worst thing in the world that can happen.

Paul is a leader like that but you also have to have a strong coach to put him in check every once in a while and this strikes me as Paul just kind of runs over Monty

Booker isn’t a leader. To me he’s a finger pointer. We’ve seen time and time Booker make a horrible play then yell at teammates or him not get a call then completely lose track of the game for a few minutes because it’s still in his head.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul is a leader like that but you also have to have a strong coach to put him in check every once in a while and this strikes me as Paul just kind of runs over Monty

Booker isn’t a leader. To me he’s a finger pointer. We’ve seen time and time Booker make a horrible play then yell at teammates or him not get a call then completely lose track of the game for a few minutes because it’s still in his head.

Suns need a player hard as a nail. Dillon Brooks comes to mind. Rajon Rondo used to be one of those players.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Suns need a player hard as a nail. Dillon Brooks comes to mind. Rajon Rondo used to be one of those players.
I don't think the current Suns players could handle Rondo's personality. The Suns are too soft still but they had appeared to be getting better until that Dallas series. Although the Suns players accepted CP3 and he's supposedly is overbearing at times.

I wonder if Monty is the right coach for this team. As they say nice guys finish last but maybe it should be Coaches who try to please certain players & can't adjust during a contest finish last.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If kyrie leaves Brooklyn I go after KD.

They would have to be in rebuild mode. I think doing two deals contingent upon one and other works (someone see how salaries work, I ain’t doing it).

Like . . .

Deal 1
Ayton

For

Joe Harris
Claxton

Deal 2
KD

For

Bridges
Saric
Crowder

Brooklyn: They get expirings with crowder and saric that are included to make salaries work. They get Ayton and bridges, two youngsters for a rebuilding team. They also shed Joe harris’ salary. Maybe thrown in 2023 #1.

Suns: Get KD for short-term run. Harris helps improve shooting. Claxton is a younger Javale mcgee who can be a rim runner for Paul.

Suns:
Paul
Booker
Durant
Cam johnson
Claxton

Payne
Shamet
Harris
Mcgee
PF FA

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the current Suns players could handle Rondo's personality. The Suns are too soft still but they had appeared to be getting better until that Dallas series. Although the Suns players accepted CP3 and he's supposedly is overbearing at times.

I wonder if Monty is the right coach for this team. As they say nice guys finish last but maybe it should be Coaches who try to please certain players & can't adjust during a contest finish last.

It makes one wonder if Monty is the right coach with the patience to play young talent. Cam Johnson was pretty mature when he entered the NBA. The same with players that have strong personalities. It could be Chris Paul's strong personality is wearing thin.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score

They would have to be in rebuild mode. I think doing two deals contingent upon one and other works (someone see how salaries work, I ain’t doing it).

Like . . .

Deal 1
Ayton

For

Joe Harris
Claxton

Deal 2
KD

For

Bridges
Saric
Crowder

Brooklyn: They get expirings with crowder and saric that are included to make salaries work. They get Ayton and bridges, two youngsters for a rebuilding team. They also shed Joe harris’ salary. Maybe thrown in 2023 #1.

Suns: Get KD for short-term run. Harris helps improve shooting. Claxton is a younger Javale mcgee who can be a rim runner for Paul.

Suns:
Paul
Booker
Durant
Cam johnson
Claxton

Payne
Shamet
Harris
Mcgee
PF FA
No, you don't send Bridges out. Infinitely durable young guy for a 33 year old who will probably be injury prone all year. no way. All for what, maybe a one year window for a championship if stars align perfectly? no way.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Like . . .

Deal 1
Ayton

For

Joe Harris
Claxton

Deal 2
KD

For

Bridges
Saric
Crowder

Suns:
Paul
Booker
Durant
Cam johnson
Claxton

Payne
Shamet
Harris
Mcgee
PF FA

If your gonna trade Ayton getting KD back would be best case.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, you don't send Bridges out. Infinitely durable young guy for a 33 year old who will probably be injury prone all year. no way. All for what, maybe a one year window for a championship if stars align perfectly? no way.

Oh you ship him out the second you get a chance for KD.

I’ve said over and over Bridges is our most inconsistent player. He will look like a prime Kawhi one day and the next he’ll take 3 shots in a game. I don’t know why he goes through this but he does.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If it gets you a championship, even in a single year, than it's worth it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Those stars are pretty strongly aligned for that team. Two year window with addition of KD. For a championship? And if Ayton is gone? Im for it. Wasn’t originally, but if we trade Ayton virtually all deals will make us not a contender any longer. This team doesn’t have many shots at a championship (see three trips in 50+ years).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your gonna trade Ayton getting KD back would be best case.

As I understand it, it would have to be a separate trade for Durant which would include expiring contracts, draft picks and a talented young player.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As I understand it, it would have to be a separate trade for Durant which would include expiring contracts, draft picks and a talented young player.
Yes two separate trades that would be conditioned in one and other. I think it’s the only way you can do it. Both end up aggregating as:

Ayton
Bridges
Saric
Crowder
2023 1st

For

KD
Harris
Claxton

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes two separate trades that would be conditioned in one and other. I think it’s the only way you can do it. Both end up aggregating as:

Ayton
Bridges
Saric
Crowder
2023 1st

For

KD
Harris
Claxton

This is where it gets confusing.

Keith Smith was on a podcast with Dave King the other day and pointed out only a few teams could absorb Ayton's contract like the Spurs, Pistons and Pacers. There were a couple of other teams who could make room as I recall. The Nets weren't one of them. There is terminology for it, something like a hard cap.

The rules on sign and trades are so complicated. The CBA made it hard deliberately.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This is where it gets confusing.

Keith Smith was on a podcast with Dave King the other day and pointed out only a few teams could absorb Ayton's contract like the Spurs, Pistons and Pacers. There were a couple of other teams who could make room as I recall. The Nets weren't one of them. There is terminology for it, something like a hard cap.

The rules on sign and trades are so complicated. The CBA made it hard deliberately.
Ayton can be paired with another Suns player in a trade for Durant if Brooklyn sheds some salary beforehand. Hard capped teams have more restrictions than most teams that are over the cap but under the luxury tax. Of course Ayton has no obligation to want to help the Suns get a superstar in return. It would have to be a perfect storm between four parties: Suns, Ayton, Durant, Nets.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Ayton, Bridges and filler for KD. I’d do that yesterday

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The cynical part of me is thinking that if there’s a deal to be done for KD then might as well. Kind of how I felt about the Shaq deal at the time, honestly, though clearly KD has more left if healthy. Of course the trip to the 2010 conference finals happened without Shaq (…or Andrew).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson