The Ayton Plan

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bleacher Report saying Suns are trying to create cap space to keep Ayton now

Just pay him if you want to keep him, now we are looking to dump someone, probably Cam Johnson to just save money and stay under the cap. Unless they're trying to make some deals before they re-sign him.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didnt even have to search for anything; trades, moves to get a draft pick.

The suns are just so predictable. I guess my guess of Cam J was right.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There realizing they painted themselves into a corner with DA. They should have just signed him and they would have all the leverage. Now they have to deal with all the rules that come with a sign and trade and where DA wants to go.

This whole James Jones is a good GM thing uh yeah I’m really starting to wonder now

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didnt even have to search for anything; trades, moves to get a draft pick.

The suns are just so predictable. I guess my guess of Cam J was right.

I had to laugh. I posted the DA article read your response then seen that.

Your right it’s like clock work. Time to pay up? Bye

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I had to laugh. I posted the DA article read your response then seen that.

Your right it’s like clock work. Time to pay up? Bye

I guess it all really boils down to Sarver after all. I never complained about the owner, but move after move, decision after decision, it comes down to the same principal...save money. I dont put much blame on to James Jones, i think he was very smart in getting us where we are with what we had, to go further we need to pay up but we are handcuffed by that.

To think one of those lottery picks could just jump in and replace Cam J doesn't make sense, its a money saving move.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing good I can say, if the rumors are true, the Suns are clearing up money going to keep Ayton.

On the flip side, they are they letting go of more talent to save a dollar.

When free agency opens, the Suns should put an offer on the table he can't refuse.

Enough with this sign and trade stuff or matching offers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There realizing they painted themselves into a corner with DA. They should have just signed him and they would have all the leverage. Now they have to deal with all the rules that come with a sign and trade and where DA wants to go.

This whole James Jones is a good GM thing uh yeah I’m really starting to wonder now

The Suns can still offer Ayton a 5-year contract when free agency opens or a 4-year contract that pays more than another team can offer. They need to do it if Ayton is willing. Try to avoid this matching offer avenue and having him shop around with other teams.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'd be okay with letting Johnson go. He has only one A-level skill, and that's three-point shooting. His accuracy (#4 in the league last season) would be hard to replace. But other than that, he doesn't bring much to the table. The Suns drafted him at age 23 because they wanted someone who they could plug into the rotation right away. That worked, but the downside is that Johnson doesn't have much room left to grow, and he has shown little progress over his first three seasons. He's the kind of player that every good team needs to have, but there are a fair number of them out there.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Suns dangling Cam Johnson for a lottery pick screams saving money
The Suns are going to have one of the highest luxury tax bills in the league if they resign Ayton. So, this can't be a shock. Also, considering that even with Cam we were not a fantastic 3 point shooting team, it's going to be interesting how we spread the floor if we keep Ayton and trade Cam. 3 point shooting in this league is one of the most important skill sets in the entire league. So, I have to agree this doesn't make much sense without replacing his 3 point shooting. If TRUE? Definitely a money move.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are going to have one of the highest luxury tax bills in the league if they resign Ayton. So, this can't be a shock. Also, considering that even with Cam we were not a fantastic 3 point shooting team, it's going to be interesting how we spread the floor if we keep Ayton and trade Cam. 3 point shooting in this league is one of the most important skill sets in the entire league. So, I have to agree this doesn't make much sense without replacing his 3 point shooting. If TRUE? Definitely a money move.

Booker, Bridges and Ayton is the Suns core. They need to build around that. Chris Paul may not be around after next season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

He started out like gangbusters but his last set of moves have trended in the opposite direction.

Didn’t pick up stix year.
Didn’t extend ayton.
Overpaid for shamet a year early.
Didn’t swing on Gordon.
Traded stix for Craig.
Now he’s going to trade a kid who we developed that’s shown enough to be a piece in of our future to save money on a draft pick (gamble). We are a team who isn’t good shooting 3’s. Solution? Trade our best 3 point shooter.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He started out like gangbusters but his last set of moves have trended in the opposite direction.

Didn’t extend ayton.
Didn’t swing on Gordon.
Traded stix for Craig.
Now he’s going to trade a kid who we developed that’s shown enough to be a piece in of our future to save money on a draft pick (gamble). We are a team who isn’t good shooting 3’s. Solution? Trade our best 3 point shooter.

Suns need a another shot creator hopefully in a position of need: point guard, wing or power forward.

As you note, it all started by not picking up to option on Jalen Smith. Of course there were other things like trading for Shamet.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wouldn't take this as anything more than posturing. Suns are looking to keep Ayton? Oh, the price just went up. This is how the Suns get conversations started. Dangle things out there whether or not they are serious. Anything to get someone to pick up the phone.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Suns need a another shot creator hopefully in a position of need: point guard, wing or power forward.

As you note, it all started by not picking up to option on Jalen Smith. Of course there were other things like trading for Shamet.
I don’t think the trade for shamet was disastrous, but the early healthy extension for him was definitely a mistake. He didn’t earn that contract before he got it or after.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I wouldn't take this as anything more than posturing. Suns are looking to keep Ayton? Oh, the price just went up. This is how the Suns get conversations started. Dangle things out there whether or not they are serious. Anything to get someone to pick up the phone.
That’s possible. Good thought chap.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker, Bridges and Ayton is the Suns core. They need to build around that. Chris Paul may not be around after next season.
That's obvious. The issue is to "build around" them you need to spend money. Most of the moves seems to be about saving money. You can't survive in this league without sharp shooters and opening the lane for guys like we have that live on the mid-range. I am just saying, what the heck is the plan now? This sure looks like the Suns run might be over unless they have another trade up their sleeve which is possible.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think the trade for shamet was disastrous, but the early healthy extension for him was definitely a mistake. He didn’t earn that contract before he got it or after.

However, it was money better spent on Cam Johnson but I can understand the Suns wanting to create that salary slot.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Didn’t extend ayton.
Didn’t swing on Gordon.
Traded stix for Craig.

It’s just getting really odd.

You take the Ayton situation. Like him or hate him he’s just a asset right.

So I have this player he looks pretty good I tell him don’t worry we can’t take care of you this year it will be next year just

So Ayton goes into this year Suns are rolling everyone’s happy and all of a sudden the trade deadline comes and his name is being thrown around in trade rumors.

So now Ayton had got to be thinking oh wait these guys aren’t gonna take care of me they never planned on taking care of me.

Trade rumors are never good in a locker room in any sport. If your gonna do it you pull the trigger and get it done.

Now Cam is having his name floated out there. Correct me if I’m wrong if we sign Cam to an extension wouldn’t the money kick in after this year? So we technically wouldn’t be saving money this year just next.

Why wouldn’t you just sign him to an extension then try and trade him? It’s Ayton and Stix all over again

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's obvious. The issue is to "build around" them you need to spend money. Most of the moves seems to be about saving money. You can't survive in this league without sharp shooters and opening the lane for guys like we have that live on the mid-range. I am just saying, what the heck is the plan now? This sure looks like the Suns run might be over unless they have another trade up their sleeve which is possible.

Suns needs to surround these three players with good role players who can shoot along with another shot creator.

Maybe the Suns look for the latter in the draft.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns needs to surround these three players with good role players who can shoot along with another shot creator.

Maybe the Suns look for the latter in the draft.
That's my point. Even if you find someone in the draft, they are likely not going to be ready to be a regular contributor. So, what does that say about this current run if you can't find someone via trade or FA either?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s just getting really odd.

You take the Ayton situation. Like him or hate him he’s just a asset right.

So I have this player he looks pretty good I tell him don’t worry we can’t take care of you this year it will be next year just

So Ayton goes into this year Suns are rolling everyone’s happy and all of a sudden the trade deadline comes and his name is being thrown around in trade rumors.

So now Ayton had got to be thinking oh wait these guys aren’t gonna take care of me they never planned on taking care of me.

Trade rumors are never good in a locker room in any sport. If your gonna do it you pull the trigger and get it done.

Now Cam is having his name floated out there. Correct me if I’m wrong if we sign Cam to an extension wouldn’t the money kick in after this year? So we technically wouldn’t be saving money this year just next.

Why wouldn’t you just sign him to an extension then try and trade him? It’s Ayton and Stix all over again

Exactly.

Cam Johnson's extension wouldn't start until the 2023-24 season. They only trade him now if they really like someone in the draft.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone is or would be surprised at the Suns going cheap instead of investing in going all out in pursuit of winning it all. It's been Sarver's way of doing things since he took over. He will invest just enough to give the false impression that they are maybe, sort of trying to put a winning team out there, but not a penny more. Then it's hope for the best and getting lucky... or at least that the fanbase is fooled into thinking that the Suns have a chance.

But there is absolutely no question that the ownership under Sarver's direction will choose money over winning ten out of ten times.