The Athletic Top 125 NBA Players

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the Athletic is doing the top 125 NBA players. I thought everyone would like to see how GM's see us. I will update this as the tiers come out.

Just missed the cut (#126) Cameron Johnson. Listed as likely to make tier 5 next year

Tier 5 #80 - #125: Cameron Payne

Tier 4 #37 - #79: Jae Crowder, D'Andre Ayton, MiKael Bridges. All 3 are in tier 4B which is #57-#79

Ayton is called a rising star and will find himself in tier 3 if he continues to build on a superb first playoff run.

Bridges is in his own catagory by himself called "The Octopus" . He was #38

Pretty incredible that the Suns sit with 6 players in the NBA's top 125 and really 7 players in the top 126

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So the Athletic is doing the top 125 NBA players. I thought everyone would like to see how GM's see us. I will update this as the tiers come out.

Just missed the cut (#126) Cameron Johnson. Listed as likely to make tier 5 next year

Tier 4 #37 - #79: Jae Crowder, D'Andre Ayton, MiKael Bridges. All 3 are in tier 4B which is #57-#79

Ayton is called a rising star and will find himself in tier 3 if he continues to build on a superb first playoff run.

Pretty incredible that the Suns sit with 6 players in the NBA's top 125 and really 7 players in the top 126

Better yet we have all of them under contract at least 2 more years, and other than Crowder they are all pretty young.

So on this list they have Mikal ranked at 38, but Ayton in the 57-79 range?

People that keep saying Mikal is not worth 20 million a season should take note.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better yet we have all of them under contract at least 2 more years, and other than Crowder they are all pretty young.

So on this list they have Mikal ranked at 38, but Ayton in the 57-79 range?

People that keep saying Mikal is not worth 20 million a season should take note.

Yes but only because Ayton's season as a whole.

They say last part of the season and playoff Ayton is tier 3

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

They rated Bridges above Ayton? Huh.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The octopus

PLAYERTEAMTIERLAST YEARBORD$EPM WINSRAPM RANK
You must be registered for see images attach
Mikal Bridges
PHX4B5A$26.68.282
After taking his rookie year to settle into the NBA game, here are some numbers for Mikal Bridges the last two seasons: 40.1 percent from 3, including 41.3 percent on uncontested attempts; 63.0 percent on twos; 84.3 percent from the line; steal and block percentages of 2.0 and 2.2 respectively. Keep in mind, steal and block rates of 2.0 and above from perimeter players serves as an informal heuristic for picking out the handsiest off-ball defenders. He is also a sticky on-ball defender who has the length and lateral quickness to bother all but the best and strongest scorers. However, a 13.9 usage rate and just over 3 assists per 100 possessions illustrate where he would need to improve to break out of his current path, which leads towards captaincy of the Danny Green Role Player All-Stars.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is where Ayton is grouped

On the rise

Christian Wood
HOU4B5A$18.85.385
Deandre Ayton
PHX4B5A$24.77.6270
De'Andre Hunter
ATL4BNR$8.52.1289
John Collins
ATL4B4B$25.66.334
Michael Porter Jr.
DEN4BNR$33.27.589

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the season ended three or four games earlier, Deandre Ayton might have found himself in Tier 4A or perhaps even Tier 3 after a superb first playoff run. But like the Suns overall, he appeared to run up against the limits of his own experience and confidence as the Finals progressed. The dunks and authoritative finishes around the rim from the first three rounds and two games started to become the fading jumpers and soft flip shots that have bedeviled much of his early career. There is no great shame in getting bested by an all-world performance from Giannis Antetokounmpo and the advantages in both strength and age-worn wisdom he ceded to Brook Lopez. And if he uses his struggles in the back half of the Finals as a learning experience, Ayton has every chance of becoming one of the next dominant two-way centers in the game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here is where Ayton is grouped

On the rise

Christian Wood
HOU4B5A$18.85.385
Deandre Ayton
PHX4B5A$24.77.6270
De'Andre Hunter
ATL4BNR$8.52.1289
John Collins
ATL4B4B$25.66.334
Michael Porter Jr.
DEN4BNR$33.27.589
He’s better than that bunch. That’s an undersell even with his finals production.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s better than that bunch. That’s an undersell even with his finals production.

For sure but he was also benched at the start of the year and was super underwhelming initially.

So you have 2 bad months becoming decent becoming great becoming dominant but then petering out back to decent. It's fair to say that he is in the same tier with Julius Randle but likely to exceed that next year.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker goes in Tier 3. In player 20-23 range

Devin Booker
PHX3A3A$35.06.350

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker faces similar questions to Young defensively, as he ranked 743rd in dRAPM. The sample sizes are so small that individual defensive metrics are almost inherently unreliable for the playoffs, but observationally, he was more locked in during the postseason. For example, he had several good sequences of weakside help during the Finals when Phoenix changed its assignments to have Booker, rather than Chris Paul, be the player patrolling the baseline while (not) guarding P.J. Tucker.

Many, including me, were critical of his offensive approach in the Finals, where the Bucks’ scheme of guarding him one-on-one for the most part resulted in a lot of midrange jumpers. While Booker is an elite midrange scorer, one of only a handful of players to hit more than 50 percent of their self-created 2-point jumpers last season, pushing him toward those shots and away from rim attacks (and attendant free throws drawn) and drive-and-kicks to teammates helped transform a great scorer into a just a pretty good one for that series:

Devin Booker Playoff Splits
OPPONENTFTA/FGAAST/FGA%RIM FGA
Lakers
0.3900.30619.0%
Nuggets
0.3240.2435.4%
Clippers
0.3160.20615.4%
Bucks
0.2240.16813.3%
In what was overall a spectacularly successful first playoff run, Booker can be forgiven for what amounts to a slight decision-making miscalibration in one series. It’s hard to prove statistically, but the ability to solve that kind of playoff puzzle based on past trials and errors is one of the reasons playoff experience tends to correlate with deeper postseason runs. One needs only to look to Booker’s Finals opponent, Antetokounmpo, to see an example of a player figuring out some of the defensive tactics that stymied him in earlier series in previous years.

As with Young, Booker has to make a number of small improvements to reach Tier 2. The first is finding offensive balance between shot creation and playmaking discussed above. It would also help if he became a little more reliable as a 3-point shooter, where despite his reputation in that area, Booker’s accuracy has been just OK, even controlling for the difficulty of his shot attempts (his 39.8 percent career mark on uncontested 3s is slightly above average but doesn’t really approach the elite status of the Currys, Robinsons and Porter Jr.’s of the world who are in the mid-40s or higher). The third is his clearest weakness: defense, where being a little more consistently competitive would go a long way. Those are the areas that separate Booker from the perimeter players in Tiers 2 and 1.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This article is getting massive in it's details. That bit on Booker is like 1/10th of the article.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think the Booker/Ayton analysis is pretty spot on, but Ayton is above where those guys are he's grouped with. Bridges is too high, IMO.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the thing we all need to remember is just how young these guys are Booker, Ayton, Bridges, Cam

the future looking real bright.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the thing we all need to remember is just how young these guys are Booker, Ayton, Bridges, Cam

the future looking real bright.
Yeah, all of our weaker spots are fixable over the next season or two and there's no reason we can't be a playoff factor for the next decade. The biggest challenge will be avoiding serious injury and finding a point guard that's close to CP's level.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, all of our weaker spots are fixable over the next season or two and there's no reason we can't be a playoff factor for the next decade. The biggest challenge will be avoiding serious injury and finding a point guard that's close to CP's level.

And $$$

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Again, I don’t think we will need a pg of Paul’s level of these you g guys all improve as they get older. Maybe someone like a prime Jeff Teague type.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 comes in at tier 2c at basically #17.

Commentary that follows was that if any of Ayton, Booker, or Bridges continue to rise, we will continue to fight for a championship despite not having a tier 1 player.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, I don’t think we will need a pg of Paul’s level of these you g guys all improve as they get older. Maybe someone like a prime Jeff Teague type.

I agree. I think we'd be fine with a better shooting Ricky Rubio. Rubio was solid here and we were trending upwards while he was here. If we had someone like him in 2-3 years? We'll be fine.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
CP3 comes in at tier 2c at basically #17.

Commentary that follows was that if any of Ayton, Booker, or Bridges continue to rise, we will continue to fight for a championship despite not having a tier 1 player.
And I expect all three of them (plus the cams) to rise.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They just basically copied comments and how the rankings are broke down.