The Athletic ranks team continuity

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since this has been a topic here lately....

https://theathletic.com/1988791/202...tinuity-scores-ranking-nfl-teams-from-1-to-32

So how can we measure which teams have the most continuity and which have the least? Below are three key factors.
  1. Coaching: Is the team bringing back the same head coach, offensive play-caller and defensive play-caller?
  2. Quarterback: Does the team have the same starter as last season?
  3. Expected returning snaps: Using The Athletic’s team-by-team 53-man roster projections, we can look at which players are expected back. We can then determine the percentage of expected returning snaps — both on offense and defense — from last season.

1. Kansas City Chiefs (92.3)
2. Green Bay Packers (91.9)
3. Buffalo Bills (91.9)
4. New Orleans Saints (91.6)
5. Baltimore Ravens (91.3)
6. San Francisco 49ers (91.3)

7. Arizona Cardinals (89.9)
With the DeAndre Hopkins trade and the first-round selection of Isaiah Simmons, the Cardinals added a couple of new, potentially high-impact players. But overall there’s a lot of continuity in Arizona. Kliff Kingsbury, Kyler Murray and defensive coordinator Vance Joseph all return. The Cardinals are 11th in percentage of returning snaps on offense and 15th on defense.

12. Seattle Seahawks (85.6)
17. Los Angeles Rams (78.2)

31. New England Patriots (51.0)
32. Carolina Panthers (15.3)

...dave

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
and this should continue.

I see no reason to not re-sign Baker, Peterson, and Peters on defense. Peterson is the only tricky one IMO because of the potential disconnect in terms of what he feels his value is and what most people feel his value is.

On offense...eventually Fitz will retire. Past that, I expect Drake to go. Sweezy will be a financial decision similar to Shipley this year. Dan Arnold will be an interesting one if he has the year I think he may.

So, there shouldn't be much turnover next year either.

If you want some 1st round college dudes to project into those holes...

RT - Alex Leatherwood - Alabama
-RT might be figured out already but if not, this is a mid 1st round guy who can pug a hole.

OG - Wyatt Davis - Ohio St
-People don't love OGs in round 1, but this dude is legit physically, athletically, and mentally. Nasty dude at RG.

C - Creed Humphrey - Oklahoma
-I think Mason Cole will be good at C, but if not, this is a familiar face. Big and physical presence at C with a wrestling background so you know he is tough.

OLB - Patrick Jones II - Pittsburgh
-I'm a big fan of this dude even if mid-first seems pretty high right now. Has a similar game to Chandler Jones and is a worker. Nice burst off the line which I like when a player also has a reach advantage.

OLB - Chris Rumph II - Duke
-Reminds me of Von Miller in terms of his build and how he plays bigger than he is. He is fast, he hits hard, and he is dynamic. With Vance's experience in Denver with Von, Rumph won't be outright discounted because of his size.

CB - Shaun Wade - Ohio St.
-Don't get it twisted, I really like/want Patrick Surtain II, but I doubt he will be around when we pick. Wade is similar to Byron Murphy in that he is really good in the slot, but Wade does have more size. I personally don't like how the CB class projects for the Cardinals but Wade wouldn't be a bad option.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson