The 2024 NBA playoffs thread

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ant and KAT combine 9/33 they were horrible and Ant flat out melted down the last two minutes.

I’m so glad they are putting Inside the NBA out of its misery. Jesus who’s idea was it to put Draymond on this show.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I can't imagine anyone (other than Dallas fans) would see how that played out and thinks that's the right way to play it out.
I agree and it is cringeworthy. The refs blew the call twice and it favored Dallas. Smart challenge by kidd and glad that he saved the challenge for that moment.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
That successful challenge was really bad, against the essense of the game rule. If Irvine's foul would not enter consideration, the previous Conley foul shouldn't either that resulted in Jones illegal screen call. Or, at least say Irvine move caused McD no more able to control the ball, despite there were split seconds McD's hand still in contact with ball before finally going out of bound. Really oximoron.
PS: NBA shall close this loophole by consistently reviewing the whole action sequence at each challenge, not stupidly insisting on only reviewing the end act of this sequence, whether it's a foul call or not. Fairness ought to be upheld.

Last edited:

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
I agree and it is cringeworthy. The refs blew the call twice and it favored Dallas. Smart challenge by kidd and glad that he saved the challenge for that moment.
Overall, Kidd game planned and in-game adjusted much better than Finch. Plus starpower overhand. Plus refs. That's the difference.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That successful challenge was really bad, against the essense of the game rule. If Irvine's foul would not enter consideration, the previous Conley foul shouldn't either that resulted in Jones illegal screen call. Or, at least say Irvine move caused McD no more able to control the ball, despite there were split seconds McD's hand still in contact with ball before finally going out of bound. Really oximoron.

Exactly that's what made it so bad, they'd just, correctly, overturned a call at the other end because Conley's foul caused the moving screen. Right call, but then they can't call the foul on Irving I guess because they weren't reviewing a foul they were reviewing the out of bounds?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Overall, Kidd game planned and in-game adjusted much better than Finch. Plus starpower overhand. Plus refs. That's the difference.
Refs are going to miss calls. And I agree the review was stupid. I hate replay in all sports. I’d rather the refs just blow the calls and get on with it rather than wasting my time telling me that they suck at reviewing their bad calls. This game came down to the mavs having 2 clutch players. Minnesota’s best player threw the ball away and their defensive player of the year looks like a liability. Hakeem might have blocked that shot on Luka.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So let’s get this straight now two games won by one point n where the refs make a totally garbage call to help Dallas! The BS basket interference call on Towns which was a clean out back bucket which likely results in a Minn win, and now a total BS just give the ball to Dallas when it was a clear hack foul by Kyrie… NBA really pushing Luka to the finals right? Joke…

Lorenzo

Reaction score
So impressed with the team the mavs have built.
Yes can’t say enough about the two big guys in the middle. And I think jones and Washington will get some of those three’s to drop at some point in this series. Maybe at home. Even J. Hardy is starting to get involved more. He’s a young guy that can score and the mavs have been working on his development as a passer. He is slowly taking hardaway’s minutes away.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed on Dallas they did a masterful job of building this team after getting taken out in 22. Gafford and Washington were the last 2 pieces but Jones has been a perfect fit for them too.

Such a weird 4th quarter, Kyrie missed what 3 FT's? But there's Luka just killing it and Kyrie had a bunch of assists to the rolling bigs.

Not sure Minnesota recovers. On paper I think they're the better team but they're young, just not sure they are going to be able to overcome it. But I didn't think they would against Denver either

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed on Dallas they did a masterful job of building this team after getting taken out in 22. Gafford and Washington were the last 2 pieces but Jones has been a perfect fit for them too.

Such a weird 4th quarter, Kyrie missed what 3 FT's? But there's Luka just killing it and Kyrie had a bunch of assists to the rolling bigs.

Not sure Minnesota recovers. On paper I think they're the better team but they're young, just not sure they are going to be able to overcome it. But I didn't think they would against Denver either
The mavs took out a dynamic Thunder team which was playing well at the time. It is their defense which brings a different element for their opponents.

I cannot see the timberwolves overcoming a 2-0 deficit unfortunately. Add in the fact a mav celtics finals would be a huge draw for the NBA, its as good as done.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The series isn't over, but the t-wolves look dejected and it is concerning when your top players are saying that they are tired and unsure of how to defend the other team. Dallas can basically put the nail in the coffin by winning game 3, but if the wolves win game 3 we have a series.

I don't see the refs pushing dallas through. that's actually a ridiculous claim IMO coming from a dallas fan. Yes there were bad calls. there were plenty of fouls in that game that were not given for doncic and Irving. Ant fouled Irving 3 times on a play late in the game and nothing was given. I don't see anyone here complaining about that. Dallas also overcame an 18 point lead. you can't point to that as a fluke because they overcame big leads in both of their other series as well.

Irving and Doncic are not well received in the mainstream comparative to other superstars IMO. Coming into the series Edwards was getting a lot more hype than the dallas players were. Doncic isn't underrated per say, but Irving is underrated IMO and it is probably for all of his struggles off the court. look at the TNT comments. They spent more time bashing the wolves defense than giving credit to Doncic for hitting that shot. I could be wrong and my dallas bias could be a factor, but if Edwards hits a shot like that I think the TNT crew would react differently...you wouldn't hear anything about the dallas defense.

Charles Barkley for the first time last night (that I can recall) gave credit to doncic and Irving for playing good, "not great" defense. Kind of like a backhanded compliment if you ask me when Doncic has now closed mutiple playoff wins on both the defensive and offensive end. and now barkley is pretending that he picked the mavs to win this series.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The mavs took out a dynamic Thunder team which was playing well at the time. It is their defense which brings a different element for their opponents.

I cannot see the timberwolves overcoming a 2-0 deficit unfortunately. Add in the fact a mav celtics finals would be a huge draw for the NBA, its as good as done.
it's only 2 games, but the thunder were a more difficult matchup for doncic and irving. Irving said that was his most difficult playoff series of his career. Dort obviously was effective guarding doncic, but as the series went on he couldn't stay out of foul trouble. you have to credit the mavs role players for stepping up to help win that series vs. OKC. doncic and Irving are too good to stay in the 20's. Eventually they are going to score.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

yeah Irving shoots 90% from the line. he more than made up for those misses by hitting so many clutch 3's in the fourth. without his shot making dallas had no chance of winning that game.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Probably shouldn’t have won either game but here we are. The Mavs have impressed me.
Dallas definitely should have lost the game last night,if not for Irving. They should have also lost game 6 to OKC. They are finding ways to win games when they fall behind. They lost game 4 to the clippers after being down by 30 but also came back to take the lead in that one. I think that was a big step for K. Irving in proving his mettle to his teammates.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
what's going to be interesting - considering the internet is now ablaze with hot takes from credited pundits to the average fan - is that ant is not the next coming - not in the jordan/kobe discussion - and is shying away from the big moment which is true - at least in this series so far

im kinda thinking ant has one of the best games of his professional career tomorrow in dallas - funny part is even if he does im not sure the timberwolves win

Lorenzo

Reaction score
what's going to be interesting - considering the internet is now ablaze with hot takes from credited pundits to the average fan - is that ant is not the next coming - not in the jordan/kobe discussion - and is shying away from the big moment which is true - at least in this series so far

im kinda thinking ant has one of the best games of his professional career tomorrow in dallas - funny part is even if he does im not sure the timberwolves win
I expect him to play better as well. his teammates hit a lot of big time shots in that game. you can't even complain about the last shot they had, it was a great play design with their best shooter going in that game. He had a great look. honestly if I were a wolves fan or mainstream media, i would be questioning Towns being on the bench a lot more than blaming Edwards. the way I see it for Edwards, if I am a wolves fan is don't bite the hand that feeds you. he is their best player and is only going to get better IMO.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Luka, Jokic (and everyone else for that matter) get away with so many walks yet they call travels when a guy catches a pass and takes one step before dribbling lol

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Luka, Jokic (and everyone else for that matter) get away with so many walks yet they call travels when a guy catches a pass and takes one step before dribbling lol
yeah I think Lively got called for a tough travel in game 1, but it was close. Irving definitely had a couple moments yesterday that could have been called.