The 2017-2018 Around the NBA thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I view it as a "now you gotta sleep in it" situation. That team sucked out loud before they got Butler, they gave up a lot to get him. They need to make it work even if the odds seem against it, because losing Butler for nothing sets them waaaaaaay back.

It sets them back but I think "waaaaaaay back" is quite the exaggeration. Not that I'm against stretching the truth, let's face it, I'm just counting the days until I'm finally enshrined in the Hyperbole Hall of Fame. And as for giving up a lot, Markkanen is probably the only big loss from that trade and he's not exactly a Thibs kind of player anyway.

But in the end, that franchise is probably in trouble with or without Butler unless Wiggins and Towns put it all together. I expect they'll go to a less tyrannical Coach when they've finally tired of Thibs and maybe that will work better for those young guys.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although you acknowledged his durability, how valuable is a player that doesn't get along with a couple of your (hopefully) rising stars and usually misses at least 15 games per season? It looks to me that they either have to part ways with Towns or Butler and KAT is too young to give up on (IMO). They could have offered Jimmy the max with an eye towards trading him later but I suspect his decision to actively throw a game still rankles a lot of GMs. Getting him at a discount would have made it easier to move him when he becomes trade eligible.

he decided to actively throw a game?!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he decided to actively throw a game?!

Oh yeah, without a doubt, during his last season with Chicago. He intentionally played matador defense, stepped away from rebounds, only shot when absolutely forced to and passed to whoever was closest every time he got the ball. He was unhappy with management and threw his teammates under the bus trying to make a statement. It was far worse than what Kobe or Markieff did although, Markieff played his unmotivated ball for half a season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I guess I view it as a "now you gotta sleep in it" situation. That team sucked out loud before they got Butler, they gave up a lot to get him. They need to make it work even if the odds seem against it, because losing Butler for nothing sets them waaaaaaay back.
Haha I’ve never heard that phrase, but yeah that seems to be the case.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's sort of interesting how a 10 time all-star can be so disliked. However, I was never a fan.

Because he's not an all star anymore but his ego won't let him accept a new/lesser role. It's sucks to because he could actually be really good off the bench providing instant offense in spurts.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Interesting signing...I figured the Lin trade meant Dinwiddie was off the market, but this inspires some hope. I've warmed to the idea of adding him and his decision-making on a one-year contract. He'd be a nice fit if we could get him in the right trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting signing...I figured the Lin trade meant Dinwiddie was off the market, but this inspires some hope. I've warmed to the idea of adding him and his decision-making on a one-year contract. He'd be a nice fit if we could get him in the right trade.

Dinwiddie is looking better and better with the Suns PG situation.

Maybe the Nets are open to trading Dinwiddie as you suggest since he is in the last year of his contract. The Bucks pick should do it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 time gold medalist as well.

Because he's not an all star anymore but his ego won't let him accept a new/lesser role. It's sucks to because he could actually be really good off the bench providing instant offense in spurts.

The saying is true. You are only as good as your last ballgame.

I'm glad the Mavericks are treating Dirk with respect until the end.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ColdPickleNachos

It was enjoyable to hear your feedback from the Las Vegas Summer League. I'm hoping you had lots of fun. Some year I need to do it.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
@ColdPickleNachos

It was enjoyable to hear your feedback from the Las Vegas Summer League. I'm hoping you had lots of fun. Some year I need to do it.

Thanks! I love it. If my memory is correct, I've gone every year for the past 13 years. It's nice to be watching Ayton and Jackson instead of Tucker and Strawberry!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I love it. If my memory is correct, I've gone every year for the past 13 years. It's nice to be watching Ayton and Jackson instead of Tucker and Strawberry!

This is quite a record I would think. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It's so much different watching players live than on television plus one gets to see all the other things going on. Suns fans had such high hopes for D.J. Strawberry and Gani Lawal among others.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is quite a record I would think. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It's so much different watching players live than on television plus one gets to see all the other things going on. Suns fans had such high hopes for D.J. Strawberry and Gani Lawal among others.

I remember some fans feeling that way about Strawberry but I don't remember much Gani love? As I recall, we had a pair of second rounders that draft but neither was very intriguing as far as I was concerned. But then, Alton Ford, several years before Gani, cleared me of any serious hopes involving late 2nd round picks. To say that most of them are misses is quite an understatement. But when all you have coming in are 2nd rounders, I guess it's natural to hope against hope.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember some fans feeling that way about Strawberry but I don't remember much Gani love? As I recall, we had a pair of second rounders that draft but neither was very intriguing as far as I was concerned. But then, Alton Ford, several years before Gani, cleared me of any serious hopes involving late 2nd round picks. To say that most of them are misses is quite an understatement. But when all you have coming in are 2nd rounders, I guess it's natural to hope against hope.

I was hoping Lawal had some potential but the ACL injury seemed to dash that. Alton Ford spent more time with the Suns. It's so unfortunate that he died at such a young age.

https://www.abc15.com/sports/sports...hoenix-suns-forward-alton-ford-dies-at-age-36

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just fell for the story that Kenny Smith put out there about Ford. Like everyone here, I was surprised when Alton passed away so young.

It's disheartening because he could still be playing basketball at 36. So many Suns fans had high hopes for him.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Think about all the Suns drafts between Amare and Booker, including the picks that D'Antoni gave away for nothing. Just about ten years of almost nothing worthwhile in that period, aside from maybe Dragic. It's no wonder the franchise sunk into irrelevance the way it has.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Think about all the Suns drafts between Amare and Booker, including the picks that D'Antoni gave away for nothing. Just about ten years of almost nothing worthwhile in that period, aside from maybe Dragic. It's no wonder the franchise sunk into irrelevance the way it has.

I understood (but didn’t like) the selling of late 1st rd picks while paying the Luxury Tax but I can’t get over giving up a top-10 pick in 04’... The #7 pick’s rookie contract was under 3m a year back then. Granted it eventually turned into Kurt Thomas but still... There’s no rationale for it at the time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Haha I actually had hoped for lawal. Yeesh

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big trade with Kawhi and Danny Green going to Toronto for DeMar DeRozan and Jakob Poelti plus a future 1st round pick going to San Antonio. That saga is over now. I expect we'll hear both DeRozan and Leonard complain some but I don't think DeRozan will be that angry for long and Leonard shouldn't have forced the issue. He did this to himself.

The pick is reportedly protected from #1-#20 and if it doesn't convey it turns into 2 2nd rounders. That is a much better deal for Toronto now.

https://sports.yahoo.com/spurs-trade-kawhi-leonard-toronto-demar-derozan-2-132012546.html

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard