Tape Review ARI 24 ATL 14

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Zone Run Blocking:

The Cardinals "tackle zone" run plays are TFLs (tackles for loss) waiting to happen. The basic problems are personnel and technique. The Cardinals' offensive line is slow and not very athletic, particularly the center (Shipley is only good in a phone booth, he can't run) and the two guards. They have trouble versus quicker defensive tackles and ends. Their strength is in playing straight on power football with clear inside gap responsibilities and running quick traps by doubling the DT to one side and pulling the guard to trap the first threat, or if the play side is sealed off, lead up the A to B gap hole.

But the problem in the power game is that the guards or center rarely get to the second level to block the ILBers...which means the ILBers typically have free shots at the RB. The Cardinals try to side block the ILBers with Fitz or with the flanker in motion, but the ILBers know it's coming and they typically slip underneath the blocks keeping a clear path to the RB.

This is exactly why the Cardinals would be wise to use a fullback (or an H-back that they can motion to the hole) so that they can run straight-on block isolations on the ILBers. Trying to block ILBers with WRs is not a great idea.

Shotgun Passes to David Johnson:

The one touch David Johnson got in the game was a bread and butter play the Cardinals are going to use very frequently. They've been running it a lot in practice. Johnson lines up to the weak side of the defense next to Palmer in the shotgun. Then he runs an option route -- meaning he runs opposite of where the LB is shading him. If the LB is shading to the inside, he runs an out route away from him --- if the LB is favoring the out pass, he runs an inside route or a skinny post.

It's this one play that is going to make teams play a lot of zone or zone-man combinations versus the Cardinals. The reason is, there aren't many LBers in the NFL who can cover David Johnson one-on-one. By playing zone, teams can provide immediate help to the outside or inside.

What this means is --- this is very good news for Fitz and the Cardinals' TEs. Fitz is a pro's pro at finding and sitting in the soft spots of zones. Gresham and Momah are good at it too.

What it also means is that the Cardinals should try to develop another one of their WRs as a slot WR. The best candidates on the current roster for that, imo, are Jaron Brown and Jeremy Ross. Speedsters John Brown and J.J. Nelson won't be able to withstand the pounding of catching the ball in traffic.

The Hard Count:

It was great to see Drew Stanton employ a hard count...something that has been glaringly missing from the Cardinals' game plans on offense. It worked 2 out of 3 times...and led to the "free play" TD pass from Stanton to Brown. The one time it didn't work was when John Wetzel had a false start. That's the worry. But, hopefully the Cardinals' offensive line will have the discipline to execute hard counts, because snapping the ball on one 95% of the time gives the defense a distinct advantage.

The RB Screens and WR Bubble Screens:

The good news is that the offensive linemen are selling the plays well and slipping to the perimeter well.

The bad news is that the offensive linemen stand around too long, rather than just picking and taking out the first threat. And too often they let the inside pursuit pass right by them.

This slows down the RB or WR to the point where they either run quickly out of bounds or get a late start cutting inside where all the help is coming from.

In this game, Chris Johnson dropped what looked to be a very well set up screen and Jaron Brown in scraping for extra yards took a wallop from a charging ILB which could have knocked Brown out (thank goodness he wasn't), but the tackle jarred the ball loose and fortunately Brown was ruled down by contact. Still, if the offensive linemen whiff on those blocks and the WR can't catch and go quickly, those plays are going to hurt.

The 3-5 Step Passing Game:

Carson Palmer was at his very best in his 3-5 step passes in this game. This could have had to do with the fact that BA was calling the game, which Palmer is most used to and most comfortable with. BA criticized Palmer for holding on to the ball too long versus the Bears and clearly this week the emphasis was to clean that up. Mission accomplished, as all 3 QBs were very decisive and clean with their throws. The Falcons were playing mostly off coverage, so that helped. But when they did try to get a bump or early stick on the WRs that's when Palmer and Stanton threw the fades to John Brown.

Perhaps Palmer's best timed and most accurate pass of the night was the 3rd and long conversion he made to the outside of J.J. Nelson with a Falcon's CB draped on Nelson's inside. That conversion led to the Cardinals first TD drive.

Stanton's best pass, other than the TD to Brown, was the drop back strike he had to TE Jermaine Gresham up the right hash marks.

Gabbert's best drop back pass was the 22 yard laser he threw from near his own goal-line to Carlos Agudosi. That pass was the epitome of what scouts call an "NFL throw."

Gabbert's Mobility:

It was great to see BA run a bootleg for Gabbert on the first play...which Gabbert executed well but under threw the pass to the TE. It looked as if Gabbert was expecting a shallower route from the TE, which may account for the low throw. But that play is a good one for Gabbert.

Fortunately, Gabbert dodge a knee injury when he was rolled on by Cole Toner's man. He limped around for a while afterward. But, on the next drive, Gabbert kept the drive alive by escaping the pocket and bolting up the left sideline for a first down. A few plays later, RB James Summers scored on his dive to the pylon.

A Tip of the Cap

Watching the tape a second time was a real treat when it came to studying OLB Cap Capi. Cap put on a 34 OLB clinic out there in every facet of OLB play.

First of all, not only did he and Kareem Martin set a very hard edge on their sides, when the Falcons ran to Cap's side, not only did he force the run inside, which is his primary job, he also made the tackles or assisted in the tackles. One of those hard tackles on the Falcons' big RB Brian Hill, forced Hill out of the game.

Secondly --- and this is what was so exceptionally impressive --- with the Falcons marching toward the end zone, they called a "submarine boot" which is a very popular misdirection pass in the NFL today, where the o-line pretends to run a zone running play to one side, but the QB bootlegs while the play-side TE sneaks across the formation into the weak side flat. If you watch Cap on the play, he immediately stayed home, which is his job, then he picked up the TE and took away the pass option which caused the QB to throw the ball away. This is EXACTLY the kind of role discipline the Cardinals' defense needs more of. It would have been an easy wide-open TD had Cap not stayed at home.

Thirdly, Cap's "dip and rip" move in his pass rush was textbook. He looked a lot like Markus Golden who dipped and ripped his way to the strip sack earlier in the game. Cap's pressure was relentless. He was teeing off every pass play. Two sacks and a handful of other pressures. Plus, he's got a bull rush aspect and a spin move to his game...he's not just a one trick pony.

Low on Toner This Week

We saw why BA and HG like John Wetzel as the 6th man and first G or T in. Wetzel's size and strength at the point of attack is superior to Toner's. Wetzel got beat a couple of times on inside penetration on the zone running plays, which he needs to correct and should correct. But, Toner got beaten on 2-3 bull rushes by the Falcons' DT Derrick Shelby (who is a good interior pass rusher), one of which led to a sack on Gabbert and another led to Gabbert getting rolled up from the side.

One would expect Toner to be further along at this point. The good news is that he has fared well in his primary focus this training camp as the backup center --- and having someone as athletic and smart as Toner in the pivot could bode well for his and the team's future. But they are playing him at guard so that he can be one of the 2 swing players on game day. Hopefully, Toner bounces back this week with a stronger performance, otherwise it might behoove the coaches to keep Tony Bergstrom, who has been solid at guard and center --- which creates the potential for the Cardinals having to waive Dorian Johnson or Will Holden, a scenario which the team is likely trying to avoid.

Or --- could the team keep Bergstrom and waive Toner? That would be tough. Toner's only in his second year and he has shown versatility and up until this past week has garnered good blocking ratings. Bergstrom is a journeyman veteran on a one year deal.

Special Teams Preparation

In looking at the special teams lineups against the Falcons, especially in the first half, it appeared as if Amos Jones used a number of players who do not figure to make the 53 man roster. It also was curious to see Tyrann Mathieu used as a gunner on the kickoff coverage team. What would be very wise this week is to go with special team lineups that likely will be the ones in the first game versus the Lions. Those special team units need coordination and continuity asap.

What could be a worry as well, is BA's suggestion that they might claim a punter off waivers, in which case Phil Dawson would have to groom a new holder for the first game. It appears that Dawson is comfortable with Matt Wile as his holder. Wile was superb on kickoffs this week and his punts have greater hang-time than Richie Leone's, while the yardage is pretty similar. Both punters have missed on a couple of punts. Not sure, however, if it is worth it for the Cardinals to make a waiver wire claim heading into the first game. Wile was pretty solid last year and certainly was an upgrade.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really helpful analysis, Mitch. I realize that beggars can't be choosers, but here in the Northeast, we were treated - at 2:30am Sun - to a somewhat lame NFL Net replay of the game.

It was the Atlanta feed, featuring lots of new stadium hype and a long interview with Arthur Blank and the missus. Practically nothing about the Cardinals at a point in the preseason where 90 players on each team are fighting to survive

In order to fit the prescribed time slot, NFL edited-out some of the plays. (Why they deleted actual football footage and kept-in lots of boring sideline and time-out color-fluff puzzles me).

Biggest sin, though, was their consistent failure to provide "who" "what" and "where" info after each play. (Ironic, but the trend among young NFLers is to grow their hair long so that it flows over the top of their jersey name-strips - which means that you couldn't ID the player without the proverbial scorecard).

For all these reasons, Mitch, it makes your detailed rundown all the more valuable to us Cardinal rooters.

(Misc Note: As predicted - for Northeastern DirecTV viewers - FoxSportsAZ aired preseason Game #2 without blackout, but blacked out Game #3. (Dunno about Atlanta game but, if it follows last year's pattern, it was probably blacked out as well.

When you question various network satellite or team decision-makers about the blackouts, they'll point to some obscure, ancient clause in the TV contract. But economically, it makes no sense: Whether or not out-of-market viewrs like me see or don't see a game in AZ has zero impact on car or fast food sales in Greater Phoenix - it just sounds like a bunch of mgt types are too busy (or lazy) to locate and fix the offending clause)..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Really helpful analysis, Mitch. I realize that beggars can't be choosers, but here in the Northeast, we were treated - at 2:30am Sun - to a somewhat lame NFL Net replay of the game.

It was the Atlanta feed, featuring lots of new stadium hype and a long interview with Arthur Blank and the missus. Practically nothing about the Cardinals at a point in the preseason where 90 players on each team are fighting to survive

In order to fit the prescribed time slot, NFL edited-out some of the plays. (Why they deleted actual football footage and kept-in lots of boring sideline and time-out color-fluff puzzles me).

Biggest sin, though, was their consistent failure to provide "who" "what" and "where" info after each play. (Ironic, but the trend among young NFLers is to grow their hair long so that it flows over the top of their jersey name-strips - which means that you couldn't ID the player without the proverbial scorecard).

For all these reasons, Mitch, it makes your detailed rundown all the more valuable to us Cardinal rooters.

(Misc Note: As predicted - for Northeastern DirecTV viewers - FoxSportsAZ aired preseason Game #2 without blackout, but blacked out Game #3. (Dunno about Atlanta game but, if it follows last year's pattern, it was probably blacked out as well.

When you question various network satellite or team decision-makers about the blackouts, they'll point to some obscure, ancient clause in the TV contract. But economically, it makes no sense: Whether or not out-of-market viewrs like me see or don't see a game in AZ has zero impact on car or fast food sales in Greater Phoenix - it just sounds like a bunch of mgt types are too busy (or lazy) to locate and fix the offending clause)..

Jeff---I streamed the game live on https://www.reddit.com/r/nflstreams

Thanks to eastcoastSUN, the ASFN poster who gave us the link.

if you want to stay up for the Cardinals vs. Broncos game or at least watch the first half, it starts at 9 PM EDT, I think.

In watching the replay that I taped off NFL Network, again they left out a series, which this time was a Falcons' possession in the 2nd quarter. Weird...the Cardinals punted. There was a commercial and then the Cardinals have the ball on their own 10 yard line.

Jeff, there are some bubble players who i think can be significant contributors on game days:

1. OLB Cap Capi. Reasons were mentioned in the thread. He and Kareem Martin are playing with such discipline and aggression.
2. WR Aaron Dobson. He's the top big sized deep threat...he gets behind defenses.
3. WR Jeremy Ross. Best slot WR other than Fitz, in a role the Cardinals need to fill, imo. Boy, if they are able to trade for Landry Jones he would make a huge impact.
4. G/C Tony Bergstrom. If Cole Toner doesn't have a good bounce-back game this week, Bergstrom is a better guard.
5. TE Ricky Seals-Jones. Two weeks in a row, he's made impact catches that led to TDs. Love his size and athleticism.
6. WR Carlos Agudosi. What a target and he's showing better hands than his college tape would suggest.
7. CB Tramon Williams, I really like how physical he is. We need more of that.
8. S Rudy Ford. Watched him on STs and he made one great tackle and was there in a hurry, plus he was right there on another couple of kicks. I think he's going to develop very well, give time. While i like Harlan Miller, Ford is the better STs player and more gifted athlete. Miller is cagy, though. I hope we can keep them both. I think Miller would make it easily through waivers...not so sure about Ford.
9. RB James Summers. Did you see the explosion he showed at the goal-line? He has DJ type of size and isn't shy about mixing it up. I hope they put him on STs this week to see if he's an asset there.
10. S ironhead Gallon. He made a lot of good plays versus the Falcons. He missed one big tackle, the one that went for a TD late in the game, but he had no help on that one. And he's a step off in coverage, but getting better each game. But his aggressive approach to the game and his ability to make tackles are impressive.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wish the Cards would just go old school and use the backup QB as holder for kicks. With no solid punter who figures to be around for any length of time in sight, it just makes sense. I've heard the arguments about why not to - the backup QB has other duties in practice and doesn't have much time to work with the kicker, whereas the punter has all kinds of time to do so. Phooey. A "little" time with a guy who is going to be around for a long time is better than with a lousy punter who will be on a bus home a week from Tuesday. And I do hope that both of the current punters are sent packing - they are awful and not NFL material.

Only 2 weeks till the bullets start flying - so exciting! After the 2 week home lull to start the season, I'll get to see 4 straight as we are going to Philly this year for the Iggles game. SO ready for some real football!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a crock

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually think it will be a crime if Ross gets cut and Chad Williams makes the team. Send Williams to the practice squad. Ricky Seals-Jones does catch your eye. The guy looks very comfortable out there.

Last edited:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I wish the Cards would just go old school and use the backup QB as holder for kicks. With no solid punter who figures to be around for any length of time in sight, it just makes sense. I've heard the arguments about why not to - the backup QB has other duties in practice and doesn't have much time to work with the kicker, whereas the punter has all kinds of time to do so. Phooey. A "little" time with a guy who is going to be around for a long time is better than with a lousy punter who will be on a bus home a week from Tuesday. And I do hope that both of the current punters are sent packing - they are awful and not NFL material.

Only 2 weeks till the bullets start flying - so exciting! After the 2 week home lull to start the season, I'll get to see 4 straight as we are going to Philly this year for the Iggles game. SO ready for some real football!

I will be in Philly as well.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Actually think it will be a crime if Ross gets cut and Chad Williams makes the team. Send Johnson to the practice squad. Ricky Seals-Jones does catch your eye. The guy looks very comfortable out there.

At this point, it would be hard to imagine Chad Williams being claimed off waivers by another team. There is not evidence on tape that corroborates or suggests that he's a legit 3rd rounder.

There probably would be a number of teams who would want to sign C. Williams to their practice squad...and maybe Williams would then prefer to go to some other team's PS instead of the Cardinals', like the Saints'. Closer to home.

If the Cardinals do waive him, then they have to be prepared to lose him.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point, it would be hard to imagine Chad Williams being claimed off waivers by another team. There is not evidence on tape that corroborates or suggests that he's a legit 3rd rounder.

There probably would be a number of teams who would want to sign C. Williams to their practice squad...and maybe Williams would then prefer to go to some other team's PS instead of the Cardinals', like the Saints'. Closer to home.

If the Cardinals do waive him, then they have to be prepared to lose him.

Agree, and in no way did the guy earn a roster spot on this team.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I suspect Chris Johnson is on the bubble too. Two fumbles last game and he doesn't contribute to special teams could doom him.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

I agree...gives more consistency...plus the backup QB can run a trick play or bail out play if things go South.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
The Cardinals are doing the same stupid stuff they did last preseason. They are not given the starters enough time to gel.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinals are doing the same stupid stuff they did last preseason. They are not given the starters enough time to gel.
It's a Catch-22. Do you give them extra playing time and risk injury or do you rest them and hope they gel in practice? Look at all of the starting players getting hurt in pre-season, Edelman being the main one at this point. Do you risk that or not? Tough call.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
It's a Catch-22. Do you give them extra playing time and risk injury or do you rest them and hope they gel in practice? Look at all of the starting players getting hurt in pre-season, Edelman being the main one at this point. Do you risk that or not? Tough call.

Yeah we've been lucky not to have any players go down with major injuries.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson