Tammy Abraham suffers further injury set-back - how does it affect England's strike options?

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tammy Abraham has suffered an injury scare in training and will be assessed ahead of making a comeback this weekend as he bids to make the European Championships with England. The Chelsea striker, who was not included in England’s squad for this month’s international break, suffered a twisted ankle and will be checked ahead of Sunday’s FA Cup clash against Sheffield United. “Tammy was with the group. We had a bit of a scary moment because he stumbled again and twisted his ankle,” said Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel. “It was a painful moment but hopefully nothing too serious. I hope he is in the squad on Sunday." Abraham has been out for a month with the ankle injury he aggravated on the pitches at the club’s training base in Cobham. He will have two months to stake a claim for a place in Gareth Southgate’s squad for the Euros, with Dominic Calvert-Lewin currently the back-up for England captain Harry Kane. Brazil centre-back Thiago Silva is still sidelined and Tuchel says it is too early to discuss extending his contract which runs out in the summer. “He was an absolutely reliable partner as captain for me as a coach from the first minute I stepped in,” Tuchel said. “Once he is part of the team he is 100 per cent part of the team, 100 per cent professional and he's a very emotional guy. He absolutely sees himself as a team player, he lives for the team that he plays for. “When he's in the stands he suffers. About his contract it's too early and not the surroundings now to speak about it. It's between him and the club, and me and the club, we will take this decision together. But if you watch the pictures carefully you will see how young he looks. So I think there's still a way to go.” Southgate's options to support Harry Kane Dominic Calvert-Lewin Everton marksman has 14 goals and is the leading scorer behind Kane in the Premier League. After coming through a dry spell for goals in December he has been scoring again, including a header against Burnley last week. Jamie Carragher: Calvert-Lewin is the striker Everton have needed for years - and he will be in no rush to leave Ollie Watkins Was playing Championship football with Brentford last season but has adapted to the Premier League with Aston Villa very quickly and earned his first call-up last week. Likely to make debut in the World Cup qualifiers this month. Tammy Abraham Suffered his injury scare on the eve of returning to the Chelsea team this weekend. He needs regular games to cement a place in Southgate’s plans as the England manager has cover from players such as Marcus Rashford and Raheem Sterling to play in a central position. Jamie Vardy Has retired from international duty but has been mentioned by Southgate on several occasions as a player he could call upon if England desperately need firepower for the tournament. It would still need a dramatic sequence of injuries.

Continue reading...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard