Taking one $100 bet - Sean Payton doesn't even interview with Cardinals.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think this is how it would go (emphasis on "think"):

1. Some Cardinal intermediary would reach out to Payton's agent to determine if he is seriously interested and understand his conditions ($, power, FO, etc.) Idea here is plausibly deniability to avoid tampering (Payton is under contract with NO still), avoid the embarrassment of asking NO for permission and Payton saying "no thanks" as well as wasting time on a guy who isn't interested.

2. Other teams will also do step 1 above and Payton will get to pick his spot.

So if the Cards get a good signal from 1, they ask permission from NO to talk to Payton and get a sense of draft pick comp as well. The ask for permission tends to be public info, and if it gets to that point, its probably 90% likelihood he gets hired.

3. There is the Rooney rule stuff to deal with, and given the Wilks suit, the team would take that seriously. Probably Vance, but thats tough because as soon as the word about Payton drops --everyone will know what the deal is.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Payton would now have to consider the health of KM before taking this job now. He’ll also need a strong DC as well.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Colts are my second team being I grew up there…zero interest in Reich. What’s the allure? Better than Kliffy, but wasn’t exactly the QB guru he was made out to be. Kinda mediocre across the board - nothing you could say he excelled at, locker room wasn’t sticking up for him as he was on the hot seat. Fans were ready to see him go.
He coached Wentz to 3600/27/7 just last year. It's not his fault the owner didn't like him and moved him in the offseason, to bring in Matt Ryan (who's just a shell of his former self).

If he could get Murry to 4000/27/7 on a consistent basis, this board would crash from tears of joy.

Cardinals could do a lot worse than Frank.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He coached Wentz to 3600/27/7 just last year. It's not his fault the owner didn't like him and moved him in the offseason, to bring in Matt Ryan (who's just a shell of his former self).

If he could get Murry to 4000/27/7 on a consistent basis, this board would crash from tears of joy.

Those Wentz stats were pretty empty stats…the collapse in the second half of the season was scary with Wentz. Like almost as if he was a pitcher and got the yips. I wanted to try him for one more year but everyone else in fan base was ready to move on. That Jags game to end the season last year to bounce the colts from the playoffs was just icing on the cake.

I do agree w that last sentence.. the cardinals could do a lot worse than Frank.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I tend to think Bidwill is gonna try if he hasn't already? If Sean thinks Kyler will be good to start the season then he may want this job? Never thought Keim would leave but that's apparently the case now. Kliff is next, probably just waiting for the season to end. I think Michael is tired of losing & I'm gonna try & have some faith that he'll give it hell trying to lure Payton.
Problem is you're going to find it hard to bring in a new coach before a new GM is hired. The GM is going to want to interview candidates and make his choice, after all his behind rides with the coaches. I believe a new GM will be hired and he will ride with KK for another year to access the situation, and then make a move moves accordingly. Which unfortunately leave Payton out in the cold unless he decides to stay off for another year. Also what compensation does the saints get? We got nothing for BA or did we?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Problem is you're going to find it hard to bring in a new coach before a new GM is hired. The GM is going to want to interview candidates and make his choice, after all his behind rides with the coaches. I believe a new GM will be hired and he will ride with KK for another year to access the situation, and then make a move moves accordingly. Which unfortunately leave Payton out in the cold unless he decides to stay off for another year. Also what compensation does the saints get? We got nothing for BA or did we?
We got a 6th round pick for BA.

I'm not sure why there's this insistence a GM can't go for a new coach in the same year. Plenty of teams make those moves. Why would they stick with a failing HC to "assess" him? Any candidate worth their salt is going to walk in here, say "here's my plan, and here's my short list of the guys I want to work with at HC."

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not gonna say that my theory is right & yours is wrong but any GM with half a brain knows the KK experiment didn't work & knows Sean Payton is available. No way a first year GM would want his reputation on the line for coach Bro, second year, third year, etc etc GM, it doesn't matter. Bidwill is just waiting till black monday imo.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got a 6th round pick for BA.

I'm not sure why there's this insistence a GM can't go for a new coach in the same year. Plenty of teams make those moves. Why would they stick with a failing HC to "assess" him? Any candidate worth their salt is going to walk in here, say "here's my plan, and here's my short list of the guys I want to work with at HC."
It gives the GM another year. They can always fire the HC to help with the reset/rebuild. It is a buffer.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It gives the GM another year. They can always fire the HC to help with the reset/rebuild. It is a buffer.
But you have to draft/sign players based on scheme fit... "another year" just means bringing in players who aren't going to be the new coach's guys.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But you have to draft/sign players based on scheme fit... "another year" just means bringing in players who aren't going to be the new coach's guys.
Not if you draft players like edge rushers, CBs, and offensive lineman. Those players are pretty universal.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I'm not gonna say that my theory is right & yours is wrong but any GM with half a brain knows the KK experiment didn't work & knows Sean Payton is available. No way a first year GM would want his reputation on the line for coach Bro, second year, third year, etc etc GM, it doesn't matter. Bidwill is just waiting till black monday imo.
I get that too, but Michael would have to sign off on paying two coaches for the next 5 years, so it saves them money. Also it is quite possible that the new GM will get the job because he thinks he can fix the team with better personnel that fits KK scheme. I know unlikely but with the Bidwill's money saved is a plane payment...

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I get that too, but Michael would have to sign off on paying two coaches for the next 5 years, so it saves them money. Also it is quite possible that the new GM will get the job because he thinks he can fix the team with better personnel that fits KK scheme. I know unlikely but with the Bidwill's money saved is a plane payment...
I honestly think that Bidwill put a buyout in both of their contracts so he doesn't have to pay the full 5 years.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I honestly think that Bidwill put a buyout in both of their contracts so he doesn't have to pay the full 5 years.
Has to be a buyout or incentive based. Guaranteed salary, that escalates vastly based on success. Otherwise, he’s one of the dumbest billionaires in the world after seeing the car crash that was the 2nd half of last season.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Colts really only have one dependable wideout, and their stud o-line has looked awful this year. They're like the anti-Cards, they've dumped all their resources into the trenches and almost none into skill positions.

Out of left-field thought .... what about JJ Watt as head coach if we can't get Payton? And I promise I haven't busted out the spiked eggnog yet.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Colts really only have one dependable wideout, and their stud o-line has looked awful this year. They're like the anti-Cards, they've dumped all their resources into the trenches and almost none into skill positions.

Out of left-field thought .... what about JJ Watt as head coach if we can't get Payton? And I promise I haven't busted out the spiked eggnog yet.
I don't think JJ is finished playing. He will chase a ring for another couple of years, which he should as long as he's staying healthy. Also, until Dan Campbell or Mike Vrabel gets their teams over the hump, hiring someone like Watt would be a very tough sell.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payton isn’t the only option. It’s one I think we should put to bed. It goes agsinst everything this organization has ever done.
Start looking at OC’s that have had success with Murray type QB’s.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anyone up for it if you believe Cardinals can bring Sean for an interview this offseason let alone get him to take the job?

Frank Reich will be the likely head coach. And I like Reich.
Yeah, Sean is not going to interview here

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose