Surprising Draft

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The Cards have almost $100 million reasons to be building for next year. 2018 will be competitive and developmental for rooks and vets in the new system. 2019 will afford the opportunity to sign FAs and draft to fill holes in that new system.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cards have almost $100 million reasons to be building for next year. 2018 will be competitive and developmental for rooks and vets in the new system. 2019 will afford the opportunity to sign FAs and draft to fill holes in that new system.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I agree, we will have lots of cap space in 2019 and when Bradford is cut only $5 million on the books.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No cookie! D Jackson CB, LSU went after Kirk. PP likes playing with LSU guys.

Not about hindsight. I think the Cards made a commitment to protect Bradford. They could have done better.

As for Glennon there was no rush. Sure you have to have a backup, as Dan notes, but not at this price. Compare him to other backups.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

I’m saying if you weren’t committed to winning in 2018 & you were considering moving to get a QB if one fell, don’t sign both QBs.

But NFL teams rarely put more than 2 QB on the active roster any more. Glennon is obviously going to be cut probably at the END of camp.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But NFL teams rarely put more than 2 QB on the active roster any more. Glennon is obviously going to be cut probably at the END of camp.

I've started to think that myself, he would only create 1m in dead money if cut or traded.

Depending on the needs of other teams we might be able to flip him for a 7th if Rosen beats him out.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
When you draft #15 you have no idea what you're gonna get. You can't base your free agent signings on what you hope to get in the draft.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
I've started to think that myself, he would only create 1m in dead money if cut or traded.

Depending on the needs of other teams we might be able to flip him for a 7th if Rosen beats him out.

I don't agree. I think the Cards really like him. If Rosen is the QB in 2019, which I assume he will be, then Glennon will be the very reasonable priced backup. There's no reason to find cap savings at this point, we are about $19 M under the cap. Even after we sign our rookies, we'll still have well over $10M. Even if Kiem signs his mid-summer veterans, there's plenty of cap space.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With a new coaching staff in place, there’s no way anyone can say with any amount of certainty what we’ll look like this year. I’m optimistic mainly because great offensive lines are more a result of coaching than sheer talent. Goodwin was a horrible OL coach & BA’s offensive schemes did not lend themselves to making an OLine better. If we went 8-8 last year, we could easily be better this year. Once we add stretching into the mix, I expect far fewer injuries. I love BA, but he could be a stubborn mule at times.

1. Players stretched before going onto to field fo

???

One is a game day inactive and why cut a guy who you control for 2 years and is an ideal backup to Rosen in 2019?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Players stretched before going onto to field fo

???

One is a game day inactive and why cut a guy who you control for 2 years and is an ideal backup to Rosen in 2019?

I don't like Mike Glennon as a QB. Never have. He's terrible IMHO.
Plus, we could use that money saved to add Oline and CB at the end of camp. We could even find a QB for the practice squad.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't like Mike Glennon as a QB. Never have. He's terrible IMHO.
Plus, we could use that money saved to add Oline and CB at the end of camp. We could even find a QB for the practice squad.

With respect, this decision won't be made based on your likes. There's a reason why he's under a multi-year deal and we have enough CAP space to add a few pieces, as it stands.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I don't agree. I think the Cards really like him. If Rosen is the QB in 2019, which I assume he will be, then Glennon will be the very reasonable priced backup. There's no reason to find cap savings at this point, we are about $19 M under the cap. Even after we sign our rookies, we'll still have well over $10M. Even if Kiem signs his mid-summer veterans, there's plenty of cap space.

At $4 mil cap hit in 2018 & 2019 he’s one of the highest paid backups and his history would not seem to support that. His career record is 6-16. Before you say bad teams the Bears benched him after 4 games and paying him too much. The rookie who replaced him did better.

He’s paid the same as McCarron & Staub. He’s paid more than Henne, Fitzpatrick, McCoy, Hoyer and Cassel to name a few. There’s nothing reasonable about his salary.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry surprised to see you say Kirk is not that athletic? He's not huge but he can run, I know 4.46 is not John Brown fast but he's game fast IMO.

I saw him play several times the last 2 years he's one of those guys who seems to play faster than he times. You watch some of those TD catches or punt returns and you see the defender has the angle on him and yet Kirk outruns the angle and scores. I admit I haven't seen a ton of his games but I've never seen him get caught from behind.

Maybe you didn't mean speed but quickness or jumping ability?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry surprised to see you say Kirk is not that athletic? He's not huge but he can run, I know 4.46 is not John Brown fast but he's game fast IMO.

I saw him play several times the last 2 years he's one of those guys who seems to play faster than he times. You watch some of those TD catches or punt returns and you see the defender has the angle on him and yet Kirk outruns the angle and scores. I admit I haven't seen a ton of his games but I've never seen him get caught from behind.

Russ, I watch EVERY Aggies game. Try as I might, and I am trying, I cannot remember him being chased down from behind ever. I can remember that with almost every other Aggie WR, but not Kirk.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ, I watch EVERY Aggies game. Try as I might, and I am trying, I cannot remember him being chased down from behind ever. I can remember that with almost every other Aggie WR, but not Kirk.

Yeah he runs a bit "straight legged" he doesn't bend his knees as much as most guys do and I think that fools people into thinking he's not as fast as he actually is.

I love the pick, kick returns, great hands, physically tough kid.

My vivid memory of him is the Miss State game 2 years ago. I looked it up to be sure, TAMU lost the game but Kirk had 7 for 144 and a TD and also had a 93 yard punt return for a TD.

Also saw him get 2 TD's against LSU that year.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right
Football speed is different then track speed
The guy can make plays everywhere, like Golden Tate

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With respect, this decision won't be made based on your likes. There's a reason why he's under a multi-year deal and we have enough CAP space to add a few pieces, as it stands.

It's a 2 year deal and as Harry said it's high for a backup, if he's 3rd, and I think it's inevitable he will be, that's too much money.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As fans we all know what the team SHOULD have done in the draft, after the fact. Harry indicates that it's not the players selected, rather it's the positions addressed. Go back to FA, and fans will say, the positions addressed were fine, it's the players that were signed. So SK can't win, either way. On the OL, we'll live and die with Pugh and Smith, or Wetzel and Holden. And b/t/w, the new "dink and dunk" offense puts less pressure on the OL. Bradford's 70% completion rate has to be taken into consideration. On one point Harry is probably right, we'll finish fourth in the West. However, two years down the road, we'll be a contender, again. We have the QBOTF. Keep the faith, Cardinal fans.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You cannot return as many kicks for touchdowns as he did without having exceptional speed. Sensing the angles is important too. Having the strength to run in pads is different than running in shorts T the combine.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Sorry I thought I wrote he wasn’t uniquely athletic. Certainly he’s an above average athlete.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Right
Football speed is different then track speed
The guy can make plays everywhere, like Golden Tate
Track speed is all about perfect form and a fast start out of the gates. It has no bearing on top end speed and that is where I think Kirk sets himself apart. Once he gets to full speed there just aren't many guys that can keep up.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When you draft #15 you have no idea what you're gonna get. You can't base your free agent signings on what you hope to get in the draft.
I think the theory is 180-degrees turned around - namely: The reasoon why you sign certain FA's is that it frees you to draft for talent without having to worry about need.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I thought I wrote he wasn’t uniquely athletic. Certainly he’s an above average athlete.

OK then I misunderstood you so I apologize.

yeah he's not a freak athlete, but he's plenty athletic enough to impact in the NFL.

I had 2 WR's in this draft I wanted around that point, one the 49ers took, Pettis, the other was Kirk so I'm pretty happy we got him.