Super Bowl MVP, Ex-Ram FB Sign With Cards As Free Agents

Jim O

Reaction score
Super Bowl MVP, Ex-Ram FB Sign With Cards As Free Agents
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, March 12, 2003

Tempe, Arizona — Super Bowl XXXVII most valuable player Dexter Jackson, whose two first-half interceptions against the Oakland Raiders led the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to their first NFL championship six weeks ago, and fullback James Hodgins, a two-year starter for the St. Louis Rams, have agreed to five- and four-year contracts with the Arizona Cardinals.

In 2002, his second season as a starter, Jackson registered a
career-best 86 tackles with 3 interceptions, 1 fumble recovery, and 10 pass deflections to key a Buccaneer secondary that ranked first in the NFL in pass defense (155.6 yards per game) and led the league with 31 interceptions.

Following his career as a two-year starter at Florida State, the 6–1,203–pound safety was selected by Tampa Bay in the fourth round (113th overall) of the 1999 NFL Draft. He played primarily on special teams as a rookie, saw increased action from scrimmage in 2000, then was inserted into the starting lineup in 2001, recordinf 78 tackles, 4 interceptions, 11 pass deflections, 2.5 quarterback sacks, and 2 forced fumbles.

In his four-year pro career, Jackson owns regular-season statistics of 195 total tackles (139 solos), 4 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, and 26 pass deflections.

Considered one of the best lead blockers in the NFL, the 6–1, 270-pound Hodgins started 20 of 55 games for the Rams and in 2001 was integral to the success of running back Marshall Faulk, the NFL offensive player-of-the-year, and quarterback Kurt Warner, the league most valuable player.

Signed by St. Louis as a free agent in 1999 following his college career as a four-year starter at San Jose State, Hodgins played 15 games as a rookie and appeared in the Rams’ three-game postseason games, including a 23–16 win over Tennessee in Super Bowl XXXIV. After starting two contests in 2000, Hodgins opened at fullback in 10 of 16 games in 2001 and only eight of nine last year due to a foot injury. He made his
second Super Bowl appearance in the Rams’ 20–17 loss to New England in Super Bowl XXVI.

He owns career totals of 13 rushing attempts for 25 yards and one touchdown and has caught 21 passes for 111 yards and one score.

Additionally, two returning veterans, fullback Dennis McKinley and
running back Travis Prentice, have agreed to two- and one-year
contracts, respectively.

— cards —

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
AWESOME!

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
With this front four his tackles will certainly increase! He didnt have to make all the tackles in Tampa, but I gurantee he breeches the 95-100 mark in tackles this year

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Finally, hope has come back to Arizona.

Oh yeah, I don't really see how it could hurt to sign Emmitt knowing that he would be the backup. I dont' exactly love the guy, but he does have a little left in the tank, and with him being the backup, a little is all we need.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
AWESOME!

Damn straight! We just made two nice upgrades over last year's team! If we can get Blake today, that'd be three and it'd be one hell of a day!

Reaction score
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess Cardinal management read my post about opening up the vault and winning now!:D 2 down and more to go.

Cardinator

Reaction score
Don't give us that 48 hr. junk. Sign Blake today and give us reason to hope! I actually don't feel totally depressed today. BLAKE! BLAKE! BLAKE!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're finally off the Schneid. Take a deep breath, Rodney...that's enough. Now go out there and get the rest of the job accomplished.

Northern Card

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chopper0080

Oh yeah, I don't really see how it could hurt to sign Emmitt knowing that he would be the backup. I dont' exactly love the guy, but he does have a little left in the tank, and with him being the backup, a little is all we need.

He isn't showing up here to be a backup. He's quoted as saying that he still believes he's a 1300 yards a year tailback...

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
I can finally put down the sleeping pills and the bottle of vodka. Good signings Cards!

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Dam Busters!!!!

DAM BUSTERS.....DAM BUSTERS.......NOW THE FA'S WILL FLOW THRU

Damn good dam busters!!! :thumbup:

OP
OP
Jim O

Jim O

Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
We're finally off the Schneid. Take a deep breath, Rodney...that's enough. Now go out there and get the rest of the job accomplished.

I was getting worried about you Jeff. You seemed ready to fly off the deep end! Hahahaha! You are right though, more things to be done.

Check your email buddy. I sent you something a few minutes ago for the BRS.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
It's great to be a Card fan even though it can be very emotional at times.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chopper0080

Actually Smith might even consider the Cards now and you always need at least two RB's. Runners are oft injured and need relief during the game. His presence will put some people in the seats and I think pump some needed enthusiasm into this team. If the price is right pull the trigger. He is by no means dog meat. This guy can still take it to the house.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solar!

You registered the month we launched but you only made your second post today? Hey, don't be a stranger.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard