Suns @ Wolves 1/17

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Interesting game today. The Wolves are loaded with the kind of young talent many here want for the Suns but their record is even worse.

That tank road sometimes has no end.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns are tanking. They are a disordered lot without leadership.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Why is Goodwin again not playing anymore?

He played well recently but hornacek again goes to Weems and Brown , ridiculoud.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns are tanking. They are a disordered lot without leadership.

They can't exactly announce it but I think it's clear that winning is not the immediate priority. We wouldn't be starting Markieff if we were still trying to make the playoffs.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why is Goodwin again not playing anymore?

He played well recently but hornacek again goes to Weems and Brown , ridiculoud.

I think that's an overstatement but he certainly hasn't played worse in the past few games than several players that logged more time than him today. Hopefully Jeff is just trying to give each player decent minutes and is working his way through the roster. IOW, Goodwin will get his regularly too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can't exactly announce it but I think it's clear that winning is not the immediate priority. We wouldn't be starting Markieff if we were still trying to make the playoffs.

What I'm am saying, the Suns play so poorly they don't need to tank. They don't seem to have any pride in their play which especially shows on defense.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What I'm am saying, the Suns play so poorly they don't need to tank. They don't seem to have any pride in their play which especially shows on defense.

I get what you're saying and to an extent I agree. If we were seriously engaged and doing everything we could to win we might not be playing much differently. We aren't very good (understatement). But I do believe the front office and the coaching staff and even the players realize we aren't going to win many games. They know Jeff is a lame duck coach and that this is a throwaway season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team lacks direction of any sort. Sure you can say they're tanking but not playing Goodwin doesn't real fit in line with that. He got 5 minutes, which is ridiculous. Warren only got 21 minutes. If we're tanking why start Markieff? He was completely out of the rotation a few days ago but now he's starting, based on what? It wasn't his recent play.

They had a few days off so it shouldn't be a stamina issue.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This team lacks direction of any sort. Sure you can say they're tanking but not playing Goodwin doesn't real fit in line with that. He got 5 minutes, which is ridiculous. Warren only got 21 minutes. If we're tanking why start Markieff? He was completely out of the rotation a few days ago but now he's starting, based on what? It wasn't his recent play.

They had a few days off so it shouldn't be a stamina issue.

I think either a) he can't handle the grind of a lot of minutes, or b) he simply isn't part of the Suns plan for rebuilding. Probably both.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team isn't even worth paying attention too until football season is over what a sad state of affairs.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Warren's supposed to be the future of this team and he can't even hit 30 mins every game in this lost season?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
This loss was incredibly important for us.

we are now 4th in the lottery standings and Brooklyn has no reason to tank as they don't have their pick.

Still mind-boggling why Warren, Goodwin, Booker are not playing as much as they possibly can right now.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
This loss was incredibly important for us.

we are now 4th in the lottery standings and Brooklyn has no reason to tank as they don't have their pick.

Still mind-boggling why Warren, Goodwin, Booker are not playing as much as they possibly can right now.

You do know that this the most minutes that they have played in their lives right? Back-to-backs don't exist in college and the college season is roughly 40 games (including tournaments).

That's part of the reason that young players tend to hit a wall - they're exhausted. Even they need a break now and then

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It is not like they are playing 40 minutes per game..

Goodwin barely plays, Warren plays what? 20mpg?

We also have not played back to back in a while and if this is a problem for Goodwin, Booker and Warren then why has it not been a problem for Amade, Marion, Barbosa, Markieff, Lebron, Towns, Wiggins etc..

There is no reason why Warren, Booker, Goodwin shouldn't be able to sustain playing 30 minutes per game unless maybe on back to back set.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As a fan I really do not see any reason to not play Goodwin but come on people!!! He's a very marginal player with a very small chance of ever having a regular spot in anyone's rotation. I'd still play him just in case the long odds lottery ticket paid off but it's just not worth all this turmoil. Fire Jeff for not playing Archie? That's silly. You could probaby come up with a dozen reasons to fire Jeff that would make more sense than this one.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It is not like they are playing 40 minutes per game..

Goodwin barely plays, Warren plays what? 20mpg?

We also have not played back to back in a while and if this is a problem for Goodwin, Booker and Warren then why has it not been a problem for Amade, Marion, Barbosa, Markieff, Lebron, Towns, Wiggins etc..

There is no reason why Warren, Booker, Goodwin shouldn't be able to sustain playing 30 minutes per game unless maybe on back to back set.

You're stuck in the past. Most players average less than 30 minutes a game in today's NBA and that includes young players and seasoned veterans, starters or not.

Aldridge and Oladipo and Whiteside and Noel and Karl Anthony-Towns and Zach Randolph and Porzingis and Tristan Thompson and Tony Parker and Jabari Parker and D'Angelo Russell and Dion Waiters and Justice Winslow and Julius Randle and Mason Plumlee and Jrue Holiday and Robin Lopez and Cody Zeller and Trey Burke and Ty Lawson and Nikola Mirotic and Sullinger and Steven Adams and Zach Lavine and the list goes on for players that average under 30 minutes.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Goodwin is a hell of a lot better than Weems. They extended him so they should develop him. Just symptomatic of of bad his rotations are which again is an indication of his lack of coaching skill. Sorry for my bad English. I'm not a fan of Horny the coach. Great guy it seems but I think we need better coaching.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You're stuck in the past. Most players average less than 30 minutes a game in today's NBA and that includes young players and seasoned veterans, starters or not.

At the moment, 80 players in the league are averaging at least 30.0 minutes a game. There are probably only about 120 or so who are fixtures in their team's starting lineups (compared to 30*5 = 150 actual starters at any given moment). Of the 80, probably a few come off the bench, but they are predominately starters. Conclusion: Most legitimate starters average more than 30 minutes per game.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Goodwin is a hell of a lot better than Weems. They extended him so they should develop him. Just symptomatic of of bad his rotations are which again is an indication of his lack of coaching skill. Sorry for my bad English. I'm not a fan of Horny the coach. Great guy it seems but I think we need better coaching.

It's not like Weems has logged a lot of minutes - 200 total so far. But Jeff is struggling to find someone that can either play point or at least help the point guard. Goodwin doesn't seem to have any of the skills you want from your point guard. Weems doesn't either but like I said, Jeff is in search mode.

He's trying anyone and everyone and if you've been watching, Knight and Booker's stats have been dropping steadily trying to run this team without Bledsoe. At one point this season Knight was well above a 20 PER and he's now slipped to replacement level. Booker was 17+ less than a month ago and it's down to 13 now.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
At the moment, 80 players in the league are averaging at least 30.0 minutes a game. There are probably only about 120 or so who are fixtures in their team's starting lineups (compared to 30*5 = 150 actual starters at any given moment). Of the 80, probably a few come off the bench, but they are predominately starters. Conclusion: Most legitimate starters average more than 30 minutes per game.

Interesting. I wasn't limiting "starter" by the quality of the player when I made my point and I really didn't intend my statement to be interpreted the way you did. I was trying to make the point that most "players" don't average 30 minutes per game, not that each sub-group of players fails to average that much.

But even though I didn't intend to say exactly that, I would make the statement you're disagreeing with. Most starters do not average more than 30 minutes a game. But IMO most teams have 6 or 7 starters. But if you're just talking about those that are unquestionably starter quality, then we probably don't have a single starter by that definition. And therefore still wouldn't be doing Booker, Goodwin and Warren a disservice by not playing them 30 minutes a game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave