Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Young will remain with the Suns during the playoffs.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like signing Royce O'Neale will be the next project on the Suns agenda.

This is from a Gerald Bourguet article dated 4-15-2024 of PHNX:

“The way we’re looking at it is we’re trying to win the championship,” Ishbia said. “And we’re gonna try this year, and then we’re gonna try to figure out how to do it next year, and signing free agents is what it’s gonna take. Having someone’s Bird rights gives you an advantage to be able to keep those players, even if you’re into the luxury tax. We’re not frivolous with money and just spending money to spend money; what we’re trying to do is win a championship and build the best team possible.

“And it’s not just players, it’s culture. It’s team members, and Grayson and Royce are two great guys. Royce is new to the organization, has done an amazing job [in] everything you could think of, and Grayson’s been here all year and has been a phenomenal part of the team and the organization. So we hope and expect to have both those guys back, along with keeping this core team together, ‘cause we love our team, and we’re gonna go compete at the highest level.”

O’Neale is technically eligible for a two-year, $20.5 million extension between now and June 30, but it might make more sense for him to wait until free agency to re-sign so he can earn a few extra years and additional salary. That will once again come with hefty luxury tax implications, but as Ishbia has proven with the Grayson Allen extension, he’s willing to do what it takes to keep vital role players around.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah, this would be the waste of the pick I would expect from a JJ draft. Any of the next 7 picks after that choice would be better.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It seems like with the pending departure of Kevin Young, we already know the Suns are going to make some significant changes in the off season.

I wonder if this will have a positive effect or negative effect on the team.

This may tell a story.
I think you are right. Letting him go, after paying him big money to stay, seems like it says a lot. Obviously they weren't desperate to keep him. Nice gig for Young. Same name as the Founder.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Durant and Devin Booker are on the Team USA squad bound for Paris Olympics.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think defense is the difference. Last Olympics Book sacrificed like Beal and took on the defensive, hustle part of the gig for them to win. The Dream Team everyone remember the scoring. Why they won so big is they dominated on defense and on the boards. I think some of our other teams focused on the scoring aspect too much. Team USA playing top notch defense, we can beat any team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ESPN+ put up their regular season grade article for all 30 teams. The Suns were towards the bottom, although not the worst in the West with all of the lottery teams scoring lower as well as the Warriors. They did grade out worse than any other playoff teams.

Here's the blurb on the Suns

And a link to the article if anyone is interested...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN+ put up their regular season grade article for all 30 teams. The Suns were towards the bottom, although not the worst in the West with all of the lottery teams scoring lower as well as the Warriors. They did grade out worse than any other playoff teams.

Here's the blurb on the Suns

And a link to the article if anyone is interested...
That blurb is exactly why I think there’s a solid chance we drop a big fat stinkbomb on Saturday. Just when this team looks like they’re starting to put it together, a mind boggling loss has followed all season.

That said, just when everyone thinks all is lost, they pull off a mind-boggling W. Which is what makes me think we’re looking a wild rollercoaster of a 7 game series against the Wolves.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
That blurb is exactly why I think there’s a solid chance we drop a big fat stinkbomb on Saturday. Just when this team looks like they’re starting to put it together, a mind boggling loss has followed all season.

That said, just when everyone thinks all is lost, they pull off a mind-boggling W. Which is what makes me think we’re looking a wild rollercoaster of a 7 game series against the Wolves.
for reals

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That blurb is so on point. Just when you want to believe they dropped a stinker all season long. I don't expect the playoffs to be any different.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is a loaded roster. Cripes

Davis, Embiid, Leonard...injuries galore. Maybe include James in that list.

Outside of that we are small.

KD and Steph are old but sure can still hoop.

bit on the offensive side for my taste and international ball requires more balance imo

Putting the oft injured guys aside, I see KD, Steph, Book and Ant. Probably as balance as it could have looked, but I would have preferred to see a younger squad.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Davis, Embiid, Leonard...injuries galore. Maybe include James in that list.

Outside of that we are small.

KD and Steph are old but sure can still hoop.

Putting the oft injured guys aside, I see KD, Steph, Book and Ant. Probably as balance as it could have looked, but I would have preferred to see a younger squad.

If you’re keeping Davis as oft-injured being healthy all season, KD shouldn’t really be counted on either considering This was his first year not missing massive time in a week while. He’s missed as much, if not more time than Davis since 2019.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

But yes - if you can win 16 games, you deserve a championship...much harder than for instance the NFL, where you can win 3-4 games.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Until I see the wolves dominate us, something they haven't done, I still pick us to beat them in 5 games. We have won 13 of the last 15 games played against these guys.

Unless some magical addition happens to the Wolves, I don't see how Gobert, Naz and Kat will effective against us. And their bench is just crap. And no to mention, Ant was a disappointment, imo, going back to last seasons play-in against the lakers. He hasn't shown through against us as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard